Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

5 hours ago, yankee99 said:

Sounds like he has a better chance of winning the Powerball...

Get remarried and sign a ironclad prenuptial.

Then he would have to start again. 

He's only got the moi left. 

Most important lesson I have learned my life when I really want something. It goes like this. ..

No,no, no, no, YES! !

23 hours ago, samran said:

I’d also suggest reading section 19 of the citizenship act. People who are advising you to fudge your application a little a giving you potentially shonky advice. 

Yes, exactly. I know what my current situation is, and will not represent it as something else in order to acquire citizenship, even though citizenship is something that I strongly want.

My intention is, and always has been, to do this properly.

So now I wait for my money-grabbing soon-to-be-ex wife to be out of the picture, and start again.

On 12/8/2017 at 11:51 AM, qualtrough said:

So I have all the docs from the checklist and went down to the Special Branch only to have them get through the first one or two and then tell me I need to go to the Provincial Police in my province neighboring Bangkok. Somehow the fact that I live in an outlying province never came up the first time I visited them. After going to the wrong Provincial Police branch I finally obtained a number for the right place and made an appointment. Arriving on time I waited 30 minutes only to have a very junior, but nice, officer talk to me in a moldy unused room. He apparently had dealt with applications from China before but never the US, and he has trouble wrapping his mind around why someone would do that :) Anyway, he said he would have to set up a meeting with different poohbahs to accept the documents and that would be next year. I pressed him if that could be January and he said yes, don't hesitate to call and check. A bit disappointing,  but the upside is we had a long conversation and got along swimmingly. Interestingly he told me not to worry so much about the documents, the most important thing was the impression I create when interviewed, etc. Is that true? While I am sure it is good to create a good impression, it seems odd that they would say never mind documents X, X. and X, we like you so it's all good.

Move your housebook to Bangkok. I spent many months wasting time with another province. SB suggest that I do it. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, VIBE said:

Can anyone share what type of questions are asked regarding knowledge of Thailand?  Number of provinces? Population?  Questions about the RF?  Government?

Thanks

Good question! Would appreciate it if anyone can recommend a good all round primer dealing with these kind of questions to brush up with.

Basically, the questions will be something like this. 

Do you like thailand? 

Why did you come to thailand. 

Do you like thai food. 

Do you think thai food is delicious.

It's very hot here isn't it.

What do you like most about thailand.

What's your religion.

They are more uncomfortable than you and quite frankly would really like to move on to the lavish lunch that has been prepared for them.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2017 at 3:47 PM, greenchair said:

Basically, the questions will be something like this. 

Do you like thailand? 

Why did you come to thailand. 

Do you like thai food. 

Do you think thai food is delicious.

It's very hot here isn't it.

What do you like most about thailand.

What's your religion.

They are more uncomfortable than you and quite frankly would really like to move on to the lavish lunch that has been prepared for them.

I've been summoned along with my wife and Thai references to attend this week for the application and test. I think I'll manage to answer these questions. I only plan to be in bkk for the day, so would appreciate anyone can suggest if I should get anything ready like perhaps book an appointment for the British embassy to take the letter of being willing to give up British citizenship etc.

Pretty excited as it's all going faster than I thought, but no doubt many more trips to bkk, and running around different places.

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I've been summoned along with my wife and Thai references to attend this week for the application and test. I think I'll manage to answer these questions. I only plan to be in bkk for the day, so would appreciate anyone can suggest if I should get anything ready like perhaps book an appointment for the British embassy to take the letter of being willing to give up British citizenship etc.

Pretty excited as it's all going faster than I thought, but no doubt many more trips to bkk, and running around different places.

I have citizenship by female to male marriage, therefore it is said I don't know what I'm talking about. Therefore I I inform you that what I do say is personal opinion. 

I don't think you have to take any such letter to the British embassy. For now you should relax be calm and follow the advice given to you by the officials. If at some point they instruct you to go to the embassy then do that. 

If you ask them if you have to go to the embassy, they will tell you that you can if you want to. 

If you don't ask, then I don't believe the topic will come up. 

Is it the SB or moi interview you are coming to. Either way you should not feel worried about your thai or documents. They will work with you and direct you to everything you need to know. If there is a mistake they will help you to correct it. They usually know in the first few minutes your level of thai and they will adjust their questions so that you can understand. If that fails your wife can answer for you. If that fails they will smile. Contrary to popular belief, they want you to succeed and as long as you are extremely polite will guide you step by step. 

I personally don't believe you need to include a letter to renounce your citizenship in your application documents . The ministry doesn't even have a form for it. The renunciation of citizenship is for dual children that have reached the age of 20 and want to attain full thai citizenship. If they don't do that they cannot hold positions in politics, the army or government jobs. As said, I am wife to husband, all of the above is personal opinion and may differ from other members. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Neeranam said:

On my application day I received 6 letters, two of them were for the embassy including the one related to the current citizenship renunciation. The accompanying document says you have 30 days to process the letters and get the result, which gives you some time, but for sure the best is to start as soon as you can (some offices will actually send the result to SB by themselves). You can read more details in some of my earlier posts.

7 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I felt the same at the beginning. Now don't dream too much, I haven't read any recent successful applicant in this forum to get it in less than 3 years.

• Thanks 1

I have a question about the points allotted for salary and taxes.  I see that this section gives maximum 25 points, but there the same number of points (25) can be awarded for both salary and taxes. Which one supersedes?  In my case, I would get maximum points based on salary, but minimum points based on taxes paid.  Actually I have already long since applied, but since I haven’t interviewed with MOI yet, I want to make sure I am still eligible if for some strange reason I need to apply again next year or later. I want to keep my options open  just Incase, even if that means paying more tax than I need to this year (if I choose not to take all of my possible deductions)

18 minutes ago, VIBE said:

Regarding renouncing your citizenship, will the process not move forward until you do so?  Or do they give you Thai citizenship first then let you renounce your old citizenship?  Please PM if better.  Many thanks.

You are not required to renounce your citizenship. You only need to do a statement that you intend to do it after you get Thai citizenship.

The statement is needed before the application is accepted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VIBE said:

Regarding renouncing your citizenship, will the process not move forward until you do so?  Or do they give you Thai citizenship first then let you renounce your old citizenship?  Please PM if better.  Many thanks.

It is not renunciation, rather a declaration of intent, something which most of us would not follow through with.  That is, I still have my original citizenship.  The Thai authorities have not been following up on these declarations and I do not think they will start doing so when many influential Thais also carry two or more passports.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2017 at 8:14 AM, GabbaGabbaHey said:

On my application day I received 6 letters, two of them were for the embassy including the one related to the current citizenship renunciation. The accompanying document says you have 30 days to process the letters and get the result, which gives you some time, but for sure the best is to start as soon as you can (some offices will actually send the result to SB by themselves).

Thanks, I'll make an appointment with the embassy, as I believe it's necessary these days. What is the other one for the embassy, in case they ask me?

As I live/work in Isarn, it's inconvenient to get to Bangkok regularly.

I can't find previous posts about what the other 4 letters are, do they involve being in Bangkok?

7 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I can't find previous posts about what the other 4 letters are, do they involve being in Bangkok?

- 2 letters to PR section and alien registration section in CW (for those you hold PR, I guess)
- 1 letter to the district of marriage registration
- 1 letter to the district of house registration asking to reserve a Thai name
- 2 letters to the embassy asking for blank criminal record, certifying your passport and a letter of intention to renounce your current citizenship

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

- 2 letters to PR section and alien registration section in CW (for those you hold PR, I guess)
- 1 letter to the district of marriage registration
- 1 letter to the district of house registration asking to reserve a Thai name
- 2 letters to the embassy asking for blank criminal record, certifying your passport and a letter of intention to renounce your current citizenship

Thanks,I just got my passport certified and legalized. I guess I have to do it again.

I get fingerprints and police clearance at the SB, the same day?

I can say any name, but keep my original English name?

Edited by Neeranam

14 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Thanks,I just got my passport certified and legalized. I guess I have to do it again.

I get fingerprints and police clearance at the SB, the same day?

I can say any name, but keep my original English name?

The first name can be any name but the family name must not be the same as any existing family names. So put together a list of prospective family names before you go to the district office to reserve your Thai name. I had five in my list and only the last one got through. The other four family names were already in use.  

This is Suppachoke Buapailin here. 555555

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GarryP said:

The first name can be any name but the family name must not be the same as any existing family names. So put together a list of prospective family names before you go to the district office to reserve your Thai name. I had five in my list and only the last one got through. The other four family names were already in use.  

This is Suppachoke Buapailin here. 555555

Thanks Suppachoke. I guess Neeranam would look a bit odd as a name !

So do you have two passports with different names?

So I have to choose a unique Thai surname, that nobody had ever had?

I guess the reason for all the long Chinese names.

Edited by Neeranam

10 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Thanks Suppachoke. I guess Neeranam would look a bit odd as a name !

So do you have two passports with different names?

No, both of my passports use my  English name. I reserved the Thai name Suppachoke Buapailin but never used it preferring to stay with my English name for the sake of convenience.  

One funny incident was that once I got Thai citizenship, my bank had me change my account name in all my accounts  from English to the Thai language version of my English name as appears in my ID card.   

Yes, you have to create a unique Thai surname. 

Edited by GarryP