Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you reserve the Thai name, the amphur gives you a slip to confirm as such. You give it to SB and it goes into your application packet. That is how they know. You can either use the name if you want after you get citizenship, keep your original name, or change to a completely different one.

I went through the process personally. You can either believe it, or whatever you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

So fact. 
You do not have to choose a Thai name if you don't want to. 
If you do want to choose a Thai name, by all means do so if you don't mind the headache. 

NOT fact. You have to CHOOSE a name and RESERVE it at your amphur, but you do not ultimately have to use it if you don’t want to.

Do you really think you’re helping anyone by muddying the water? I have been through this process, as have others.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

23 minutes ago, greenchair said:

So fact. 

You do not have to choose a Thai name if you don't want to. 

If you do want to choose a Thai name, by all means do so if you don't mind the headache. 

Wrong. If you do not submit the documents showing you have reserved a Thai name at the local district office, SB will not process your citizenship application because your application documents are then incomplete. For a woman it may be different, but men do not currently have the option.  Is the requirement pointless? Yes, of course it is because you are no longer actually required to change your name.  

17 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Wrong. If you do not submit the documents showing you have reserved a Thai name at the local district office, SB will not process your citizenship application because your application documents are then incomplete. For a woman it may be different, but men do not currently have the option.  Is the requirement pointless? Yes, of course it is because you are no longer actually required to change your name.  

Oh rubbish, there is no law except the false information law of this thread. You do not have to submit your reserved thai name at SB. 

48 minutes ago, NewlyMintedThai said:

When you reserve the Thai name, the amphur gives you a slip to confirm as such. You give it to SB and it goes into your application packet. That is how they know. You can either use the name if you want after you get citizenship, keep your original name, or change to a completely different one.

I went through the process personally. You can either believe it, or whatever you want.

Oh yes, like the fact that you presented your thai passport with a bording pass of a different name. 

It just gets hilariouser by the day. ???

There’s a machine. You don’t have to “present” your boarding pass to anyone anymore. You can either scan it, or punch in the flight number manually. Just did it a few weeks ago en route to Europe.

Again, believe what you want to believe...but the adults are trying to have a conversation here, and you’re not helping.

I expect you’ll be banned soon, so maybe I should say goodbye now?

12 minutes ago, greenchair said:

You do not have to submit your reserved thai name at SB. 

It's a requirement. Without it, the process halts. I applied in August 2009. Received Thai Citizenship in January 2016. When I applied for my Thai ID, the official of the districts office asked me which name I wanted to use for the ID. The reserved Thai name or my foreign name. I chose for my foreign name.

Oh rubbish, there is no law except the false information law of this thread. You do not have to submit your reserved thai name at SB. 

Everyone is a positive contributor to this thread except you.

Maybe you just like trolling but the guys here were very helpful when I went through the process

What matters is keeping the controllers at the pearly gates happy as they interpret the law the way they see fit

Wanna disagree with their interpretations - knock your self out.

27 minutes ago, greenchair said:

It may not be written in the law (I honestly do not know), but it was included in the list of documents required by SB when I applied (and it still seems to be the case). Now if your package of documents is incomplete, your application will not be processed. Do you expect any of the applicants to sue the responsible SB officers in the Administrative Court for failing to process their applications due to a lack of documentation showing they have reserved Thai names, simply because there is no such requirement in the law (according to you)?  You would be shooting yourself in the foot. Are you going to start a fight with the very people you want on your side by arguing that they have no legal right to demand certain documents .

I suggest, you provide advice based on your experience of applying for and obtaining citizenship on the basis of being a foreign woman married (at the time in question) to a Thai man. That is something you clearly know about (having gone through the process yourself emphasis intended) and can share with others who are in the same situation.   

If I may interject here, it would seem to a layman (Citizenship requirements wise) that the requirements seem to differ between a male as opposed to a female applying for naturalisation Thai name wise, which may well be possibly due to the fact that a woman would have historically take her husband's Thai surname, so that particular requirement would not be on the list of requirements from SB, whereas the wife may not actually change their surname in reality, since the law changed in the early 2000's in respect of a woman having to adopt her husband's surname, only a thought.

Oh and this also may be why they no longer enforce males to take up the Thai surname chosen?

4 hours ago, Mattd said:

If I may interject here, it would seem to a layman (Citizenship requirements wise) that the requirements seem to differ between a male as opposed to a female applying for naturalisation Thai name wise, which may well be possibly due to the fact that a woman would have historically take her husband's Thai surname, so that particular requirement would not be on the list of requirements from SB, whereas the wife may not actually change their surname in reality, since the law changed in the early 2000's in respect of a woman having to adopt her husband's surname, only a thought.

Oh and this also may be why they no longer enforce males to take up the Thai surname chosen?

So are you saying the reserved thai name is not on the list of requirements at SB for a male, because it is not on the list because of the female. 

But even though it is not on the list of requirements, it is required anyway or the application will not be processed? 

Applicants for naturalisation under Section 10, whether male or female, are required to submit a document from their district office confirming that they have reserved a Thai name which nowadays they have the option but no longer the obligation to assume when they obtain Thai nationality. Women applying to adopt their husbands' Thai nationality under Section 9, which is not considered as naturalisation, are not required to reserve a Thai name.

End of story. Any more posts pointlessly disputing the above incontrovertible facts regarding the documentary requirements will be considered as troll posts and summarily deleted. Many of us have found this thread incredibly useful in our own nationality applications and wish to give back by sharing our experiences so that it will continue to be useful for others. To this aim it is important to keep it focused and relevant.

14 hours ago, Arkady said:

Applicants for naturalisation under Section 10, whether male or female, are required to submit a document from their district office confirming that they have reserved a Thai name which nowadays they have the option but no longer the obligation to assume when they obtain Thai nationality. Women applying to adopt their husbands' Thai nationality under Section 9, which is not considered as naturalisation, are not required to reserve a Thai name.

End of story. Any more posts pointlessly disputing the above incontrovertible facts regarding the documentary requirements will be considered as troll posts and summarily deleted. Many of us have found this thread incredibly useful in our own nationality applications and wish to give back by sharing our experiences so that it will continue to be useful for others. To this aim it is important to keep it focused and relevant.

I'm sorry but I looked at section 11 but it doesn't say that at all. 

Am I looking at the wrong section 11. It says the provision of section 10  (4) (5) shall not apply if having thai husband or wife and some other stuff. Section 10 says these people may apply for citizenship. ...maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. Can you tell me where to look?

12 hours ago, greenchair said:

I'm sorry but I looked at section 11 but it doesn't say that at all. 

Am I looking at the wrong section 11. It says the provision of section 10  (4) (5) shall not apply if having thai husband or wife and some other stuff. Section 10 says these people may apply for citizenship. ...maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. Can you tell me where to look?

OK Section 10 then.

6 minutes ago, Arkady said:

OK Section 10 then.

Well, section 10 says anyone can apply who 

1.becomes an adult born of a Thai 

2.good behaviour 

3.service to thailand 

4.can speak thai a bit 

5.has a job. 

Am I looking at the right one? 

I don't see anything about changing names? 

Please correct me if I wrong because I am a layman or woman so to speak. 

On this topic of choosing a Thai name and surname, the last bullet of my SB application form was

๒๒. เมื่อได้ยื่นคาขอนี้แล้ว ข้าพเจ้าจะดาเนินการขอเปลี่ยนชื่อและชื่อสกุลของข้าพเจ้า และบุตร ให้เป็นภาษาไทย

During the SB interview day, I got the letter to bring to my district which contained the attached sentence.RegisterThaiNameShort.jpg.cf2b50bd3b8c54e50352823263bd5259.jpg

2 minutes ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

On this topic of choosing a Thai name and surname, the last bullet of my SB application form was

๒๒. เมื่อได้ยื่นคาขอนี้แล้ว ข้าพเจ้าจะดาเนินการขอเปลี่ยนชื่อและชื่อสกุลของข้าพเจ้า และบุตร ให้เป็นภาษาไทย

During the SB interview day, I got the letter to bring to my district which contained the attached sentence.RegisterThaiNameShort.jpg.cf2b50bd3b8c54e50352823263bd5259.jpg

How many years ago was that? 

1 minute ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

two months ago.

Sorry I just read that again it doesn't say to change name. 

It says to please translate your name into thai using the Thai accent to be used in evidence for you to aquire citizenship. This is because all of your paper will use thai characters for entry into the government Gazette. And your id of course will have thai characters plus your name. 

Perhaps you don't read thai well. 

สำเนียง means accent of thai language. 

On 11/13/2017 at 2:32 PM, Arkady said:

Your instinct that there is no specific rhyme or reason is correct.  It could be that they are preparing a batch of naturalisations to follow this batch of women adopting hubby's Thai citizenship but that is not necessarily the case.  Historically there were sometimes years when a lot of foreign wives were announced but not naturalisations and vice versa.  The good thing that the process is working relatively smoothly under this government without the 5-11 year waits that were common in the past.  

I am not sure why they publish the original nationality of women adopting hubby's Thai nationality but not for naturalistions.  

I just saw the RTG, my name was published. I'm Thai. My sincere thanks to Arkady and the others on this thread who contribute such useful insight. I must say I feel truly relieved, I know I still have some things to deal with as far as the ID, but it is now official and that feels great.

5 minutes ago, BaanBKK said:

I just saw the RTG, my name was published. I'm Thai. My sincere thanks to Arkady and the others on this thread who contribute such useful insight. I must say I feel truly relieved, I know I still have some things to deal with as far as the ID, but it is now official and that feels great.

Congratulations! 

May I ask how many months were there between your NIA and MOI interviews? and how many months after the MOI interview was your name published to the RTG?

1 minute ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Congratulations! 

May I ask how many months were there between your NIA and MOI interviews? and how many months after the MOI interview was your name published to the RTG?

The duration between NIA interview and MOI interview was about 8 weeks. MOI interview was last May. His Majesty endorsed my petition in June and took the oath then. RTG publication yesterday.

13 minutes ago, BaanBKK said:

The duration between NIA interview and MOI interview was about 8 weeks. MOI interview was last May. His Majesty endorsed my petition in June and took the oath then. RTG publication yesterday.

Wow. 8 weeks only? Or is it 8 months? Does it mean your total waiting time since your SB application has been less than two years?

On 27/10/2017 at 9:25 AM, aidenai said:

1) SB - 0

2) NIA - + 1 month

3) MOI - + almost 4 years in my case (interview November 2013)

Just to clarify something.

If I make the application on Dec 18, is there a good chance that I could get the MOI interview before March? What would be the worst case scenario - April?

Also, I'm going on a business trip in March, can I request that they don't ask me to confer for it in the two weeks I'm out of the country?

3 hours ago, greenchair said:

Well, section 10 says anyone can apply who 

1.becomes an adult born of a Thai 

2.good behaviour 

3.service to thailand 

4.can speak thai a bit 

5.has a job. 

Am I looking at the right one? 

I don't see anything about changing names? 

Please correct me if I wrong because I am a layman or woman so to speak. 

Section 10 doesn't need to spell out all the other requirements because Section 12 says that anyone who wishes to apply for Thai nationality by naturalisation shall apply according to the form and in the manner prescribed in the ministerial regulations.  This is the same as Section 9, under which you applied to adopt the Thai nationality of your former husband and which also didn't spell out all the requirements but required you to apply according to the form and in the manner prescribed in the ministerial regulations. 

One of the current requirements for naturalisation prescribed either directly or indirectly in the ministerial regulations is to reserve a Thai name and surname at your district office.  Applicants are given a letter to take to their district office in order to do this. Apart from thinking up the names, It is not too much trouble because you have to go to the district office at that time to get a letter of verification of your tabien baan.  You can do both at the same time and you are no longer required to use the Thai name you have reserved, although you have the option to do so. 

Since you have no experience of applying for naturalisation, yourself, it is rather pointless to argue about the requirements for naturalisation with the many members in this thread who do have direct experience of it.  You are well aware by now that the requirements for adopting the nationality of a Thai husband under Section 9 and pursuant ministerial regulations, as you did, are very different from the requirements for naturalisation under Sections 10-12 and pursuant regulations.  At this point I am only indulging you because I think it may useful for others to understand that nearly all the detailed requirements for acquiring Thai nationality are not to be found in the Nationality Act itself but in ministerial regulations pursuant to it and, indeed, ministerial guidelines pursuant to the ministerial regulations.  Thailand is a bureaucracy and that is how things work.      

27 minutes ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Wow. 8 weeks only? Or is it 8 months? Does it mean your total waiting time since your SB application has been less than two years?

Correct, application for citizenship was filed with SB on the second working day of January 2016 (I had to get some tax issues in order so my 2015 taxes were filed on the first working day of that month). From then until today it would be less than 2 years, I guess.

Archived