Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

51 minutes ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

- 2 letters to PR section and alien registration section in CW (for those you hold PR, I guess)
- 1 letter to the district of marriage registration
- 1 letter to the district of house registration asking to reserve a Thai name
- 2 letters to the embassy asking for blank criminal record, certifying your passport and a letter of intention to renounce your current citizenship

So the SB will give a letter of intention to renounce your current citizenship? 

Is that right? 

On 14/12/2017 at 10:42 AM, GabbaGabbaHey said:

- 2 letters to PR section and alien registration section in CW (for those you hold PR, I guess)
- 1 letter to the district of marriage registration
- 1 letter to the district of house registration asking to reserve a Thai name
- 2 letters to the embassy asking for blank criminal record, certifying your passport and a letter of intention to renounce your current citizenship

I reserved a name which took longer that I had thought.

So the letters to the embassy have to be translated?

The SB officer was great asked suggested they had Thai staff to read them.however,I think they'd have to be translated.

This has been asked before, I am sure, but I just can't (and won't) read thru over 3000 posts.

- Except for avoiding "immigration-issues" or "tax-issues", what are the benefits (or other reasons) of wanting to aquire Thai-Citizenship, especially when it includes a renounciation of the "old-citizenship" in some "western-country"?
Just curious.
Cheers.

1 hour ago, swissie said:

This has been asked before, I am sure, but I just can't (and won't) read thru over 3000 posts.

- Except for avoiding "immigration-issues" or "tax-issues", what are the benefits (or other reasons) of wanting to aquire Thai-Citizenship, especially when it includes a renounciation of the "old-citizenship" in some "western-country"?
Just curious.
Cheers.

Which countries are you referring to? 

The benefits are wonderful and worth the effort if you are planning to stay in Thailand for many years. 

If you want to invest in property, you can buy land or condo in your own name. 

You can have 100 percent ownership of your business. 

The application for citizenship is not much different from the yearly visa renewal, but at the end you never have to do it again. After 10 or 15 years those renewals become stressful and tiresome. 

You can travel freely with both thai and your own passport. 

You do not renounce your citizenship, but you will in fact be a dual national.

You will have a passport to asean which will give you many benefits of travel and work in surrounding countries. You can work at tesco lotus or be a motorbike taxi driver or do any job you like. You still can recieve your pensions from your primary citizenship. For me the biggest benefit was emotional, the feeling of belonging, the worry about having all my life here and being rejected entry because of a visa, is gone. I'm so much more relaxed and secure. My only question is, why wouldn't someone apply for citizenship into an asean country? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

The SB officer was great asked suggested they had Thai staff to read them.however,I think they'd have to be translated.

The letters do not need to be translated. All the staff at the embassy are thai. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, greenchair said:

Which countries are you referring to? 

The benefits are wonderful and worth the effort if you are planning to stay in Thailand for many years. 

If you want to invest in property, you can buy land or condo in your own name. 

You can have 100 percent ownership of your business. 

The application for citizenship is not much different from the yearly visa renewal, but at the end you never have to do it again. After 10 or 15 years those renewals become stressful and tiresome. 

You can travel freely with both thai and your own passport. 

You do not renounce your citizenship, but you will in fact be a dual national.

You will have a passport to asean which will give you many benefits of travel and work in surrounding countries. You can work at tesco lotus or be a motorbike taxi driver or do any job you like. You still can recieve your pensions from your primary citizenship. For me the biggest benefit was emotional, the feeling of belonging, the worry about having all my life here and being rejected entry because of a visa, is gone. I'm so much more relaxed and secure. My only question is, why wouldn't someone apply for citizenship into an asean country? 

You can not have 100% ownership of a thai company. The last time i checked they require 3 shareholders.

27 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

You can not have 100% ownership of a thai company. The last time i checked they require 3 shareholders.

Not if you open as a small private business. You don't have to open as a corporate company. You used to need 7 signatures but they recently changed the law that you can do it by yourself. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Not if you open as a small private business. You don't have to open as a corporate company. You used to need 7 signatures but they recently changed the law that you can do it by yourself. 

Correct it use to be something like 7 shareholders now its 3.

10 hours ago, Neeranam said:

No, letters don't have to be translated, it's the result of the request (the letter of intention that is issued by your embassy) that will have to be translated to Thai.

Edited by GabbaGabbaHey

1 hour ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

No, letters don't have to be translated, it's the result of the request (the letter of intention that is issued by your embassy) that will have to be translated to Thai.

Ok, thanks. I wonder what I'll put as the reason for making the the appointment.

1 hour ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Sorry for all the questions, but did you write the intention by yourself, or did they have a template?

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Btw, was told to expect to wait 3 -5 years, and was happy to get 10/10 for the multiple choice question. 

Now on step 1 of the 10 rung ladder.

Congradulations

HopefullyI'll have enough points and wont need to answer any question.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Ok, thanks. I wonder what I'll put as the reason for making the the appointment.

If I were you I'd wait to get the letters at SB, at that time ask to capture a screenshot before they seal the envelopes, and based on the content call the embassy first to explain the situation.

Edited by GabbaGabbaHey

3 hours ago, yankee99 said:

Congradulations

HopefullyI'll have enough points and wont need to answer any question.

I think everyone gets the 10 multiple choice questions, but if you have enough points it shouldn't matter if you get them wrong.

2 hours ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

If I were you I'd wait to get the letters at SB, at that time ask to capture a screenshot before they seal the envelopes, and based on the content call the embassy first to explain the situation.

You're allowed to open the envelope. It belongs to you. 

Not like it's the secret service or anything. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Sorry for all the questions, but did you write the intention by yourself, or did they have a template?

I did prepare a draft based on earlier post recommendations in this long forum, but this was useless at the end. When I brought the letters, my embassy just reused as a template the letter they gave to the previous applicant.

• Like 1

On 16/12/2017 at 11:04 PM, GabbaGabbaHey said:

I did prepare a draft based on earlier post recommendations in this long forum, but this was useless at the end. When I brought the letters, my embassy just reused as a template the letter they gave to the previous applicant.

Was it the British embassy?

1 hour ago, VIBE said:

Well, yesterday we had a second visit from the police at our condo in Chiang Mai.  My wife just happened to be going out and passed though the lobby at the same time the officer was there asking about me to the condo staff.  The staff then called my wife over.  Wife came back up to condo to get me.  Strange that they did not tell us time and day they would come, as I am out often. Maybe he did not want to meet with us, but was just checking with condo staff about me?

I came down and sat with him.  First thing he asked was if I could speak Thai.  I told him not very good.  To which he replied, you want to be Thai but do not speak Thai? :(  Told him I was studying to improve, 3 times a week.  This is all in Thai by the way.   He then asked us a lot of questions.  About my job, what I do, my Thai company, how it makes money, saying if I do not make enough money it will affect my application.  I have paid tax on 100K salary for 4 years, so I think thats enough.  Then asked for copies of passport (every page), WP, yellow book, ID card, company cert.  Asked for all my old passports as well, told him I no longer have those.  The items he was asking for I believe he was just thinking of off the top of his head, as he did not have a list, and was just seeing what else he could add to.

He asked some hard questions, like whats going on in Thailand now?  How to answer that?  Told him I know what happened last year with the Royals, and what happened in Oct.  He asked about Red shirts / yellow shirts too, I said no opinion, sometimes its better to be quiet.  So finally got him to laugh and smile.  Kind eased up after that.  Asked how much I drink?  If I go to Patpong and soi cowboy in BKK or not?  I don't drink very much, so maybe I need to drink MORE to fill the obligation? :)  Then he said I will need to come to the police station in a few days, drop off the documents, sign some documents, and talk the same there as I just did with him, oh, AND sing the Anthem there!  So its good I have been practicing it.  And must bring some of my wifes family to come that know me.

It was about 30mins of him being serious and asking serious questions.  My This is just OK, so a few times my wife translated his questions and I replied in Thai.  He left with a smile so I hope it will be ok when I go down to the station in  few days.  This is all happening so very fast.  

Thanks

I am a little confused but maybe its different in CM. I guess they haven't totalled your points yet but you had the NIA interview?

4 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

just the last year

Just to clarify, are you saying that for the point system, the points for income earned are based solely on your last year's income before the application?

I am assuming that you still have to meet the minimum requirements for the last 3 years, for example 80K for non married persons?  Or is that minimum requirement only applicable to your last year before the application?

Thank you in advance.

Exactly you must meet the minimum per year. In my case one year was short so i am delayed for a couple more weeks. The SB took my last year to assess the points and checked the 2 previous years for the minimum.

This was all preliminary from a male working the last desk on the right hand side.

• Thanks 1