Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

29 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I agree that talking about the price of short term take aways in pattaya, or many other threads are like a chat site, but NOT this one.

I've had extremely useful advice here from yourself and a few others, especially Arkady, who gives extensive, accurate advice on many issues.

There are some here who are lawyers, some who know more than lawyers, read Thai forums on the subject etc. Seeking advice and experience from those who have gone before us is what it's all about.

I had a nice day near the ministry of education. The NIA have an office in the grounds of  Paruskavan palace. We talked with a nice guy, who ushered us in, for 40 minutes about gardening, and then his wife came and took us for an interview. Lovely couple who made my day. The guy practically hugged me on the way out! I think it was the tip on how to grow lemons, and noni fruit, and the benefits of a hot toddy!

Lucky I took all the documents as they asked to see some they never told me to take,  like degrees. All the interviewers were women. Others seemed to be seen by two, but us only one.

Another trip to Bangkok done!

What next, I wonder. The SB still haven't been round to my house.

Lol, plenty of pretend lawyers sure.

On a happier note , well done. Your application seems to be going smooooothly. 

SB never visited my house at all. I didn't need to take witnesses to their office either. 

Every case is different. 

They might not come to visit at all. 

I don 't blame you for being pissed off by such offensive rudeness regarding a highly sensitive subject.  You would think the policeman would want to station an officer in a couple's bedroom to check they were doing their duty.  I was in a similar situation being married to a Thai but without children and in the end I applied on the basis of PR.  But our experiences differed over the questioning.  I regard whether we have children or not as a personal matter that is none of their business beyond the question do you have children or not which, of course they have a right to ask.  I also got married late in life but my wife is still of child bearing age, so we always just replied jokily, "We're trying, we're trying" and sometimes, "maybe we're working too hard and should take more time off",  thus closing the way for any more questions on the topic.   All the officials accepted these replies in good humour and didn't ask any more prying questions. 

At the end of day it doesn't matter a damn whether you have children or not and, if you have PR, it doesn't matter whether you are single, married to a Thai or married to another foreigner.  Everyone who ticks all the boxes gets through but the officials, for reasons better known to themselves, like to pretend these issues are terribly important, as if your chances will be drastically diminished if you have failed to do your eugenic duty and father a Thai child or have refused to even marry a Thai at all. I know several confirmed bachelors who have gone through the process.  Of course they had a much harder time with the interrogation and explaining why they weren't married at all.  One of them took a humorous approach when asked the question at the MOI, by telling them he was still looking for Miss Right and asking the chairman of the panel, if he had someone to recommend. The chairman pointed to a dried up looking, mid fiftyish lady on the panel and said, "What about her, she's still single".  At this point everyone in the room, except the dried up looking lady split their sides with laughter and that was the end of that line of questioning.                

It’s a cultural issue. Soon as a couple gets married, day after everybody start asking about when you gonna have children

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Guys, done with my Oath at the SB Office today along with finger prints.
Officer mentioned that wait for 3-4months for the official approval and letter.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Guys, my work permit is coming due in March. I am sure it’s safe to have them renewed. But, just let n case anyone had experience of not having the work permit at this final few stages.

Advice appreciated.

Thanks

39 minutes ago, sathuluv said:

Guys, my work permit is coming due in March. I am sure it’s safe to have them renewed. But, just let n case anyone had experience of not having the work permit at this final few stages.

Advice appreciated.

Thanks

Are you a Thai citizen yet?

On 1/27/2018 at 12:28 PM, Arkady said:

Like anything else in life the thread is not perfect but, apart from the official sources in Thai (and even SB has taken down most of the useful information that used to be on its website), there are hardly any other decent sources in Thai or English on this topic and most Thai law firms are ignorant about the process but greedy for fees and unnecessary bribes which they might just keep for themselves. You need to separate the wheat from the chaff but I personally found it an invaluable source of information in the early days of the thread that encouraged me to apply.  Posters like dbrenn, TheChiefJustice, Samran and others provided hugely valuable information based on their own experiences.  Personally I think the thread offers pretty good value for your money.     

for a newbie like me who is yet to marry , this has been of tremendous help . This place helped me plan my taxes, improve my thai, learn the songs, get a masters etc, all that helps me get more than 50 points. Its the same as a lawyer might tell me after taking 5000 baht as fee. At Least it has helped me map the way for the coming years.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, skippybangkok said:

It’s a cultural issue. Soon as a couple gets married, day after everybody start asking about when you gonna have children

I agree it is a cultural issue and I expected the questions about why no children when I went into it and wasn't phased when they came up.  However, I do think that asking a childless couple for a medical certificate to prove the wife is unable to have children is completely over the top and downright rude. If that could be explained as part of a culture, there would to be something seriously amiss with the culture in my opinion.  Given that that it makes no difference to anyone's application whether you have children or not and, in his case, he didn't even need a Thai wife, it cannot be said that the question was a necessary part of his job.  

Nowadays there are not even any points for having a Thai wife and kids.  There used to be a section called Relationship with Thai People with points allocated as follows:

Relationship with Thai People:

Works in Thailand – 5 points
Married to a Thai national – 8 points
Married to a Thai national, with children born in Thailand – 10 points

They obviously decided that was money for old rope after the law was amended in 2008 to allow males with Thai wives to apply without PR and without knowledge of the Thai language.  So they rejigged the points system in 2010 mainly to allocate more points to having PR and for Thai language to make it a little more challenging for those without PR and limited Thai language skills.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I agree that talking about the price of short term take aways in pattaya, or many other threads are like a chat site, but NOT this one.

I've had extremely useful advice here from yourself and a few others, especially Arkady, who gives extensive, accurate advice on many issues.

There are some here who are lawyers, some who know more than lawyers, read Thai forums on the subject etc. Seeking advice and experience from those who have gone before us is what it's all about.

I had a nice day near the ministry of education. The NIA have an office in the grounds of  Paruskavan palace. We talked with a nice guy, who ushered us in, for 40 minutes about gardening, and then his wife came and took us for an interview. Lovely couple who made my day. The guy practically hugged me on the way out! I think it was the tip on how to grow lemons, and noni fruit, and the benefits of a hot toddy!

Lucky I took all the documents as they asked to see some they never told me to take,  like degrees. All the interviewers were women. Others seemed to be seen by two, but us only one.

Another trip to Bangkok done!

What next, I wonder. The SB still haven't been round to my house.

Good for you.  Lucky your green fingers came in handy.  I had never even heard of noni fruit.

On 28/01/2018 at 1:16 AM, greenchair said:

Lol, plenty of pretend lawyers sure.

On a happier note , well done. Your application seems to be going smooooothly. 

SB never visited my house at all. I didn't need to take witnesses to their office either. 

Every case is different. 

They might not come to visit at all. 

I don't see any 'pretend lawyers' here - just people looking to gather information and share experiences. I'm just about to start my application, having been down to see the SB guys in the latter part of last year. I've been living and working here, on and off (mostly on) since the late 1980s and all I know for sure is that, no matter what the rules say, their practical application can vary from year to year, place to place and for each individual, often for no discernible reason. Just because it says X on a government web site, or a lawyer tells you Y - that doesn't mean that's what will actually happen. As you rightly note "ever case is different", even though it shouldn't be.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

I don't see any 'pretend lawyers' here - just people looking to gather information and share experiences. I'm just about to start my application, having been down to see the SB guys in the latter part of last year. I've been living and working here, on and off (mostly on) since the late 1980s and all I know for sure is that, no matter what the rules say, their practical application can vary from year to year, place to place and for each individual, often for no discernible reason. Just because it says X on a government web site, or a lawyer tells you Y - that doesn't mean that's what will actually happen. As you rightly note "ever case is different", even though it shouldn't be.

I have been saying that for several threads. 

8 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

Indeed, don’t see any pretend lawyers here either. One or two people who claim to see them around though. Pot stirrers. 

Dare say that this thread has saved a few people many tens or hundreds of thousand baht. Don’t see too many lawyers, pretend or otherwise, doing that.

all the best with your application. You’ll find a supportive bunch here helping you wherever possible. Gratis of course :)

• Like 2

I agree it is a cultural issue and I expected the questions about why no children when I went into it and wasn't phased when they came up.  However, I do think that asking a childless couple for a medical certificate to prove the wife is unable to have children is completely over the top and downright rude. If that could be explained as part of a culture, there would to be something seriously amiss with the culture in my opinion.  Given that that it makes no difference to anyone's application whether you have children or not and, in his case, he didn't even need a Thai wife, it cannot be said that the question was a necessary part of his job.  

People do feel even bitter when they are forced/asked to do a DNA test if they have children togather to prove they are their real parents.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It is more than a cultural issue. Part of the reason for the interviews and background checks is to root out people who may have entered into false marriages for the purposes of immigration. If the couple has children together, it serves as partial confirmation that the marriage is legitimate. So, I wouldn’t be offended by the question; the authorities are just doing their jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewlyMintedThai said:

It is more than a cultural issue. Part of the reason for the interviews and background checks is to root out people who may have entered into false marriages for the purposes of immigration. If the couple has children together, it serves as partial confirmation that the marriage is legitimate. So, I wouldn’t be offended by the question; the authorities are just doing their jobs.

It is true that, if you choose to apply on the basis of marriage, they should investigate your marriage, even if you have PR.  I believe that was the case of the poster who was confronted with the unpalatable request for his wife's medical records.  If you apply on the basis of PR, even though you are married to a Thai, as I did, there is no real purpose in investigating the marriage but I don't suppose they are capable of making this subtle distinction.  I recall that that when when I first visited SB a couple of years before I applied the officer I talked to then advised against registering my marriage before applying, as he said it would it would just create more hassle for me and my wife.   

I wouldn't be surprised if they display the same attitude towards foreign couples who apply together, if they are childless.  Since they are going to be Thai, they had better get on with their patriotic duty and the current government is even planning tax incentives to encourage reproduction.  The notion of couples actually not wanting children has yet to arrive in Thailand and that is certainly a cultural issue.     

It’s interesting some of the questions people get here. In hindsight we we’re literally treated with kid gloves for my wife’s application. 

I thought they’d make it harder. I am half thai, speak it very, very well but you can tell I wasn’t born or grew up here. I look more Spanish than Asian and my kids look like they are Scandinavian and they go to international school. Not your typical family set up for Thailand at least. But I felt this never became an issue.

I remember when we left the final MOI Roundtable interview we got into the lift with one of the panel members. She said to us ‘they didn’t ask you too many questions so you’ll be fine’. The only question of significance I was asked (in hindsight) during the interview was how I acquired Thai citizenship (through birth to a Thai parent overseas), and that was it. 

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for the valuable information.

I am a Canadian male, married to a Thai. As an independant contractor, I have sufficient income and tax records.

Thai Citizenship may be my only chance to bring my disabled father over to Thailand as my dependant.  (Retirement is a little pricey for our situation).

I am still looking for some answers:

1.)   I am an independant contractor, sourcing income from outside of thailand, but as a resident of Thailand  (for tax-paying purposes). I therefore have no work permit (since I am not employed by a Thai company).  My income tax still meets the requirement. So I am still elegable? 

2.)  Since Thailand allows Canadians to have dual citizenship, is it neccesary to sign an intent to revoke citizenship. I don't want to throw away my Canadian citizenship, nor do I want to lie on a declaration on intent. 

3.)  Do I need a certain visa when I apply (or a history of certain visas)? Or can I apply with any visa?

Thank you. I would like to get a good start on this! :) 

5 hours ago, samran said:

It’s interesting some of the questions people get here. In hindsight we we’re literally treated with kid gloves for my wife’s application. 

I thought they’d make it harder. I am half thai, speak it very, very well but you can tell I wasn’t born or grew up here. I look more Spanish than Asian and my kids look like they are Scandinavian and they go to international school. Not your typical family set up for Thailand at least. But I felt this never became an issue.

I remember when we left the final MOI Roundtable interview we got into the lift with one of the panel members. She said to us ‘they didn’t ask you too many questions so you’ll be fine’. The only question of significance I was asked (in hindsight) during the interview was how I acquired Thai citizenship (through birth to a Thai parent overseas), and that was it. 

I think the process has got a little more demanding in terms of documentation and other demands but the flip side is that it has also become much faster and more transparent, at least for now.....

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tangdio said:

Thank you everyone for the valuable information.

I am a Canadian male, married to a Thai. As an independant contractor, I have sufficient income and tax records.

Thai Citizenship may be my only chance to bring my disabled father over to Thailand as my dependant.  (Retirement is a little pricey for our situation).

I am still looking for some answers:

1.)   I am an independant contractor, sourcing income from outside of thailand, but as a resident of Thailand  (for tax-paying purposes). I therefore have no work permit (since I am not employed by a Thai company).  My income tax still meets the requirement. So I am still elegable? 

2.)  Since Thailand allows Canadians to have dual citizenship, is it neccesary to sign an intent to revoke citizenship. I don't want to throw away my Canadian citizenship, nor do I want to lie on a declaration on intent. 

3.)  Do I need a certain visa when I apply (or a history of certain visas)? Or can I apply with any visa?

Thank you. I would like to get a good start on this! :) 

1.) No. I am sorry to say you need to be working for a Thai domiciled entity and have a WP.  In addition to the WP you will need to submit documents relating to the company.  A work around could be to set up a company in Thailand which will receive your fee income from offshore and pay you a salary.   You need to show 3 years' WP and 3 years salary tax receipts.  Actually it sounds as if you are working illegally without WP.  Paying tax on the income does not cancel out the offence of working without WP.  If you go ahead and set up a company, you would not want to draw attention to the prior period working without WP, particularly in the MOI interview where are representatives from the Labour Ministry and Immigration.  Working on a tourist visa would be a further offence under the Immigration Act.

2.) Thailand does not specifically allow Canadians or any other nationality to have dual citizenship, neither does it specifically prohibit anyone from having dual citizenship. However, the Nationality Act has some provisions whereby citizenship can be revoked from naturalised Thais (Canadians included).  You will have to make the declaration of intent, same as everyone else since 2010, if you want to apply. 

3.) Since you need a WP, you will need to be on a visa which allows you to work.  If you would apply on the basis of marriage to a Thai, you have the option of either a Non-Immigrant B visa, the standard visa for expat workers, or a Non-Immigrant O visa with extensions based on marriage to a Thai national.  You will need an unbroken record of 3 years on whatever visa you choose, coinciding with a 3 year unbroken WP record and your 3 years' tax receipts.   If you are not legally married to a Thai, you would have to apply for permanent residence first.  

Hope that helps and apologies that it is not what you hoped for. 

• Thanks 1

Looking for a bit of advise.

Me - Married and working in Thailand for 5 years, have WP paid taxes and Non O extended BASED ON THAI CHILD living with me - had the same extension for 4 years. No marriage extension even though I am married.

Wife - Working abroad coming back in 6 months full time.

Can I apply based on marriage when shes back?

On 1/29/2018 at 12:16 PM, Arkady said:

I am not sure who the pretend lawyers are or what fees they are charging but sadly they are unlikely to be less informed on the naturalisation process than most Thai lawyers who will gladly take your money.  Accessing TV is without doubt cheaper.

Regarding home visits by SB, I have never heard of this happening in Bangkok, but in the past the NIA used to visit homes and workplaces of applicants in Bangkok unannounced.  When I did the NIA interview in 2010 I asked if they might visit my home or workplace and the officer openly told me that they used to do that but no longer had the budget for doing any such field investigations in addition to the interviews.  Of course, things may have changed and applicants who are currently in the process with SB are in a position to ask them, if they have started doing home and workplace visits in Bangkok.  Please let us know.

Things may be very different for applicants who apply in the provinces.  We have a recent report of police coming to visit an applicant's home in Chiang Mai.  Applications upcountry are supposed to be processed by SB provincial HQs.  Most provinces either refuse to accept applications or go about it in such as clueless way as to have no chance of success.  The few provinces that do accept applications, e.g. Chiang Mai, Phuket, Chonburi are likely to set up their modi operandi which could involve field investigation of applicants in order to check details on the application form and submitted documents.

Re witnesses.  SB is supposed to interview witnesses in every case and in the early reports in this thread they did.  But their practice these days seems to be to make up a pro-forma interview with fake Q&A of the witnesses confirming how long they have known the applicant, confirming their bank balance and ownership and value of their condo, if they have one.  I think I still have a copy of the in absentia interviews done for me.  Of course, the officer or the section can take the decision to do real interviews for any reason but asking witnesses to verify an applicant's bank balance or the value of their property is clearly an exercise in futility that is not lost on SB.  Witnesses also have to fill in their salaries on the form.  So bear this in mind before you approach your CEO or other friendly pu yai type.  The best witnesses are relatively junior people who have known you for a long time, who will not mind too much, if they are really summoned for an interview by SB at SB's convenience.  For me my former secretary and information manager did a perfect job.  I am sure a driver you have known a long time would do too.  If you do have a friendly pu yai with a direct line to the minister, don't ask him or her to be a witness.  It makes no difference who the witnesses are, as long as they are Thai citizens.  No one higher up than your SB officer and the section chief is going to see the names.   Your pu yai can go in to bat for you with the minister without being a minister, although this less likely to be necessary or effective under the current government.  Under political governments in the past it made a world of difference and probably will do again in the future.

This may or may not be good advice but it is scot free and for nothing. You can take it or leave it.      

I did not have to produce any salary information or fill out a salary form for my witnesses. 

All they needed was their id card and tabien baan. 

Though in my case the officer allowed me to bring the documents in without the witness. 

I don't know about all this pu yai baan stuff. Anyone that knows you can be a witness. No witness or pu yai baan no matter how high up will be able to influence an application, especially under this government, where small fries are indicted in efforts to show fight against corruption, whilst big fries continue. 

So, it's hard to even buy your way into a good school these days. 

2 minutes ago, greenchair said:

I did not have to produce any salary information or fill out a salary form for my witnesses. 

Though in my case the officer allowed me to bring the documents in without the witness. 

I don't know about all this pu yai baan stuff. Anyone that knows you can be a witness. No witness or pu yai baan no matter how high up will be able to influence an application, especially under this government, where small fries are indicted in efforts to show fight against corruption, whilst big fries continue. 

'puu yai', not "puu yai baan", there's a big difference. 

I chose not to even ask my 'puu yai' to do this for me. As Arkady said, anyone will do, unless they are at ministerial level at the MOI. 

56 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

'puu yai', not "puu yai baan", there's a big difference. 

I chose not to even ask my 'puu yai' to do this for me. As Arkady said, anyone will do, unless they are at ministerial level at the MOI. 

If you have the ministerial level connections, just ask them to lift the phone on your behalf, not be a witness but it may not make much difference under this government.  However, under prior political governments, where the backlog of applications stretched back for many years, having a ministerial level connection could make the difference between 18 months and 10 years. In some cases in the past where someone actually managed to get someone to talk to the minister on his behalf only to be told he would still have to pay hard cash upfront, if he wanted help.  LOL.

2 hours ago, greenchair said:

The attached form for witnesses who are asked to verify applicants' behaviour and assets attached clearly has spaces for them to fill in their profession, position and monthly salary.  Mine had to fill in and sign this form and one of them nearly dropped out of this process because she didn't want the other witness, whom she knew, to see her salary.  I had to reassure her that I would keep both forms absolutely separate and confidential. 

Your experience might have been different, since you applied to adopt your husband's Thai nationality which is a quite different process with different requirements from applying for naturalisation under Section 10 which is what most people in this thread are doing or have done.

Witness form TH.pdfWitness form TH.pdf