Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

2 minutes ago, THAIJAMES said:

A lot of international organizations have strict payment and benefit rules regarding expats and local citizens.  Basically if you are a person working in a country of your citizenship you are not an expat and are put in the payscale and the benefits scheme of local persons.

I guess the lesson would be not to not make your dual citizenship known to your employer?

I think it would be impossible to keep it secret because of the work permit and visa extension. When dealing with important government departments such as the Labour Dept and Immigration, you could not pick and choose when to reveal your Thai citizenship and when not. Can of worms.

As earlier posters suggested, negotiation with the employer may be the best route possibly with conversion of the benefits to their monetary value one possible solution. The employee and the employer needs to consider the employee's commercial value to the company. It has not dropped overnight so the imposition of rules causing an overnight drop in the value of the employment package makes no sense and should be overruled by senior management.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

I think it would be impossible to keep it secret because of the work permit and visa extension. When dealing with important government departments such as the Labour Dept and Immigration, you could not pick and choose when to reveal your Thai citizenship and when not. Can of worms.

As earlier posters suggested, negotiation with the employer may be the best route possibly with conversion of the benefits to their monetary value one possible solution. The employee and the employer needs to consider the employee's commercial value to the company. It has not dropped overnight so the imposition of rules causing an overnight drop in the value of the employment package makes no sense and should be overruled by senior management.

Good point!

21 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

My boss said I might get a reduction in pay if I get citizenship. I'd tell him where to stick his job. Many Thais at my work resent me applying for it.

Why?  I just get puzzlement from most Thais who often just can't believe that it is possible for a farang to become Thai. When they finally understand what has happened, if they can grasp it at all, they mainly seem pleasantly surprised.

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

My boss said I might get a reduction in pay if I get citizenship. I'd tell him where to stick his job. Many Thais at my work resent me applying for it.

Very different in my case. They were very supportive and threw a small surprise party to celebrate when I got my ID card.  

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Very different in my case. They were very supportive and threw a small surprise party to celebrate when I got my ID card.  

Same here. Why on earth should any boss mark you down for making their lives easier?

Just thought I’d throw this out here.

If anyone wishes to beef up their citizenship application with a charitable donation, I sit on the board of directors of a registered charity under royal patronage.

I’d be happy to help coordinate and make sure you receive a proper receipt, if you like.

Just PM me.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

41 minutes ago, THAIJAMES said:

Sorry if this has been answered before, beside a letter from your employer which specific tax form is used as evidence of your tax payment?

is it PND 90 / 91 or  PND 1 ?

Thank you in advance.

It will be PNG 90 if you submitted PND 90 or PNG 91 if you submitted PND 91. The only difference between both is that PNG 90 has to be used when you have additional income other than salary (LTF gain, mutual fund gain, rental income, stock dividends...)

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Christopherabhadra said:

Will it be difficult to get thai citizenship if all factors are fulfilled, but i have a criminal record in Thailand? as in driving under influence of alcohol? or is it still possible?

I have an extensive minor criminal record history. 

Including a case in Thailand, that they had to wait for completion before I could finish my application process. 

I was approved shortly after the case finished. 

They are very kind and I think it depends on the seriousness of the charge. 

1 minute ago, greenchair said:

I have an extensive minor criminal record history. 

Including a case in Thailand, that they had to wait for completion before I could finish my application process. 

I was approved shortly after the case finished. 

They are very kind and I think it depends on the seriousness of the charge. 

DUI first time paid 5000 baht fine to court and finished it. but worried about future application at special branch.  I clearly have a criminal record. 

On 3/3/2018 at 2:59 PM, Christopherabhadra said:

DUI first time paid 5000 baht fine to court and finished it. but worried about future application at special branch.  I clearly have a criminal record. 

As I said, I have an extensive criminal record. 

They do inquire about it. 

But they understand that life has ups and downs. 

Don't quote me as a lawyer, but I think the criminal record is only an issue if you served prison time. I had 2 minor records here in Thailand. 

1 for throwing my neighbours bin over the fence. 1 for blocking his drive way  (bit of a long story ).

Then another bigger case for teaching English in my home. And I got married 3 times and divorced twice to the same guy, which raised a few eyebrows. And then there were my extensive name changes which even they couldn't get their head around. 

In the end there were smiles all around. 

Relax. It's all worth it in the end. 

Has anyone been called for an interview at MOI recently?

I am beginning to get the feeling that the process has slowed back down to snails pace for applicants in 2017 or later. When I applied early last year at SB, they said that I would likely be interviewed at MOI within 6-9 months and that the entire process should be finished within 2-3 years. My periodic calls to SB asking if my application has been sent to MOI have resulted in progressively longer timelines. They recently told me MOI is now processing applications from 2556 and 2557.  My guess is that SB has received pushback from MOI to slow down applications, though of course SB will not comment on this fact. SB is now saying that the application needs to be reviewed by a committee at SB before being submitted to MOI (this is after all of the documents have been collected by all of the agencies). This appears to be a new rubber stamp added to the process, or an excuse to justify the slow down.

I am wondering if anyone that has applied in 2017 has heard anything otherwise?

7 hours ago, khongaeng said:

Has anyone been called for an interview at MOI recently?

I am beginning to get the feeling that the process has slowed back down to snails pace for applicants in 2017 or later. When I applied early last year at SB, they said that I would likely be interviewed at MOI within 6-9 months and that the entire process should be finished within 2-3 years. My periodic calls to SB asking if my application has been sent to MOI have resulted in progressively longer timelines. They recently told me MOI is now processing applications from 2556 and 2557.  My guess is that SB has received pushback from MOI to slow down applications, though of course SB will not comment on this fact. SB is now saying that the application needs to be reviewed by a committee at SB before being submitted to MOI (this is after all of the documents have been collected by all of the agencies). This appears to be a new rubber stamp added to the process, or an excuse to justify the slow down.

I am wondering if anyone that has applied in 2017 has heard anything otherwise?

In December, when I spoke to the head of special branch, he said there was a backlog of 300 applicants. 

I got my interview with the NIA on January. When did you get yours?

29 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

In December, when I spoke to the head of special branch, he said there was a backlog of 300 applicants. 

I got my interview with the NIA on January. When did you get yours?

I was interviewed by NIA in September

It's been 12 months since I decided to apply in March 2017 and started collecting documents. Here I am, one year later, same for me... my file has not yet been sent to MOI. My NIA interview was in September 2017.

From recent successful applicants data, I already expected something like

- 1 year for gathering documents, dealing with SB and having them to send the application to MOI
- 1 year around MOI getting the documents, scheduling the interview and issuing the result
- 1 year around the finalization of the approval (signatures, oath, official letter, ID issuance)
Total 3 years -which I understand is almost the best timeline one can get-.

We'll see...

Archived