Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

oh and one more...

by your guess, if someone had 1 small mistake on a criminal record from when they were a stupid teenager, would it completely screw them out of the chances of either PR or cit.?

1) The cost for PR is 191,400 baht for those not married to a Thai national or 95,700 baht for thoise who are. Most of this (not sure how much since I applied a long time ago and paid 25,000 Baht) is payable only upon approval. Good PR thread here

2) The cost for citizenship application fee 5,000 Baht. Fee for certificate of naturalisation upon approval: 500 Baht

3) Criminal record. Not sure. The process is very subjective. Depends how serious the crime is and whether it is a spent conviction that does not show up any more

Good luck

Most countries do not release juvenile records, so if you were under 18 and charged as a minor should be fine.

I would give it a try anyway buddhafly. If you are very up front about it, and explain immediately and humbly at each step that it was a childish mistake that you made a long time ago, they might let you off if they like you. Far better if it doesn't show up at all, of course.

Who cares? This thread is for people interested in learning more about the process of applying for Thai citizenship. Stay at home if you hate the Thai system that much.

Please start your own thread and complain somewhere else instead of hijacking this one with all this silly ranting. Thought this group was supposed to be moderated.

Who cares? This thread is for people interested in learning more about the process of applying for Thai citizenship. Stay at home if you hate the Thai system that much.

Please start your own thread and complain somewhere else instead of hijacking this one with all this silly ranting. Thought this group was supposed to be moderated.

Aplogies, stuff happens overnight when we are asleep, but people far away in Italy aren't. Will do better to keep your excellent thread clean.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

well done dbrenn & chatette, what a great acheivement & a relief. I really don't get the nay sayers, if it isn't for them fine, but don't knock others for wanting it.

Samran kindly directed me to this topic as I will be looking to complete the citizenship process in the future as my husband & son both have dual nationality, UK/Thai & I want to be on the same level in case of something happening to my husband in the future. Same reason I wanted him to have the UK citizenship too. Not unreasonable really esp. when kids are involved :o

I do have a couple of Q's though if anyone knows the answer pls. A bit of history;

Western women married to a thai national for 5+ years. We have been living outside of Thailand for 3 years & I recently gave birth to our son who has dual nationality.

We will be returning to Thailand in the next 2-3 years so wondered if you knew how soon after our return I could lodge the application? Is it instant on the basis of my sons birth & our marriage or will I be required to get & show WP, tax etc if I don't have to the do the PR route (considering I have birthed a thai citizen already :D funny) ???

Cheers

Boo

• 4 months later...
:D Well done dbrenn. :D

Well done Dbrenn and Chatette and thanks to Chatette and Samran for being so helpful. :D

Thanks for all the useful information you've given us. I'm a British woman married to a Thai man, finally got my yellow house reg and haven't got PR. I teach here on a WP and Non-imm B visa. I want to apply for Thai citizenship and have no children. Does this mean I need PR or have different requirements to Chatette?

One of my student's Dad's is an immigration policeman, but still it's hard to get all the info I need. Everytime I think I'm clear, he tells me something different that I didn't think I needed! Another reason why other people's stories are so invaluable, as I've almost given up many times. Things I'm not clear on are:

1. How long do I need to have been married? (Been married for 6 years in UK, but "jot tabien" and got my yellow "tabien barn" in Thailand early this year. Thanks to info the national police gave me, the Amper did it without confusion.

2. How long do I need to have lived continuously here? (On work permits).

3. Does my husband need any proof of salary or tax payment? I can supply proof of 30K per month earnings and 3 years of tax payment here (plus money in the bank if needed), but he can't as he's a fruit farmer and doesn't even have an income tax card. However, he can prove ownership of land and car etc, as assets.

Thanks,

Janjane :o

:D Well done dbrenn. :D

Well done Dbrenn and Chatette and thanks to Chatette and Samran for being so helpful. :D

Thanks for all the useful information you've given us. I'm a British woman married to a Thai man, finally got my yellow house reg and haven't got PR. I teach here on a WP and Non-imm B visa. I want to apply for Thai citizenship and have no children. Does this mean I need PR or have different requirements to Chatette?

One of my student's Dad's is an immigration policeman, but still it's hard to get all the info I need. Everytime I think I'm clear, he tells me something different that I didn't think I needed! Another reason why other people's stories are so invaluable, as I've almost given up many times. Things I'm not clear on are:

1. How long do I need to have been married? (Been married for 6 years in UK, but "jot tabien" and got my yellow "tabien barn" in Thailand early this year. Thanks to info the national police gave me, the Amper did it without confusion.

2. How long do I need to have lived continuously here? (On work permits).

3. Does my husband need any proof of salary or tax payment? I can supply proof of 30K per month earnings and 3 years of tax payment here (plus money in the bank if needed), but he can't as he's a fruit farmer and doesn't even have an income tax card. However, he can prove ownership of land and car etc, as assets.

Thanks,

Janjane :o

The requirements have changed slightly, though for the better for a woman married to a thai man.

The main change as far as I can see are that the husband only now needs to earn 15,000 baht per month, as opposed to 30K. The information that the national police give out 'has' changed. I went there in late novermber 07, with the old rules as i wanted to get the process started for my wife. Unfortunately, they said that those rules have been superceeded. As I said, the changes aren't huge, but if you are in BKK it is worthwhile going down to chat with them, so that they can take you through the regulations. I did so step by step, and they give a pretty good indication as to whether you are eligible or not, as well as what exact pieces of information you need to apply!

I have a copy, but don't have a scanner handy, so it may be sometime before I may be able to post them here.

The other thing for foreign males with PR, I beleive there has been a change on the 5 year requirement (I beleive it was reported a little while back on TV) where it is no longer necessary to wait 5 years after attaining PR to get citizenship (of course paying taxes a majority of the time). While I am not 100% on this, it is worthwhile going down and having a chat, going through each regulation. As I said, they'll tell you whats what.

This is really interesting news Samran. Although we qualified on income before I would be interested to see if anything else has changed. Looking forward to you finding a scanner! Although that last bit might ensure there are a lot more people applying this year...!

Don't worry naomisri, I am at the top of samran's send to list, I'll be sure to send it on to you when I get it :o

Also, JanJane, your husband can file for personal income tax without having to show a job that pays a regular income. When my husband did (many years ago) he showed his restaurant as his source of income, I am pretty sure your husband can show his fruit orchards as such. I have to add that my husband has never had to show what his income was (no proof) but state a minimum, but he did start doing it at our amphur a really long time ago, so regulations may have changed.

just looked at the flier which was given to me at the national police HQ. There is no need to show three years worth of tax returns. For a foreign woman married to a Thai man, simply the previous years one is sufficient.

I wonder if you can state the 15,000 a month for one year and then go back to a lower amount the next?

My husband hates paying his personal income tax as he also pays the bungalow tax to the Or Bor Dor (or bor wha dor is what he calls it :o) and then some ridiculous sign tax for the Or Bor Dor as well, I believe.

to all those questions, I am not sure. But, it states pretty clearly that you have to have both the Por Ngor Dor 90 and 91 submitted for the application, which are tax return documents for natural persons.

Looking at my handy sheet again, they did give a contact number you can all 02-205 2132 which is the naturalisation section of the national police HQ. Also worth trying 02 252 5961

Trust me he's not the only one!!

When I just handed mine the number he had this kind of worried look on his face - ooooh the pressure. He's usually the one who wants to get everything done and dusted, but until he's got all of the facts he's like a duck out of water :o

Edited by naomisri

Sounds pretty interesting, they seem to have made it a lot easier, although I still believe there will be the long waiting period for processing... Might be the right time to take the bull by the horns. Let us know how it goes if you proceed Samran :o

for us the right time is pretty soon. I just have to get the documentation sorted.

Amongst other things, I need to get my wife onto a Yellow Tabieen Baan in the Ampur which I'm registered. We also have to get the Ampur to verify we are married, given that our marriage certificate is from Australia (either via a Dor Roh 2, 4 or 22, or just all of them!!). Given that I had to get my ID card there, it could potentially be a PITA to get these, but get them we will.

The rest of it I have, or know how to get easilty - ie miltary exemption (have..legally!!), tax returns, 4 witnesses to vouch for the marriage, daughters BC (important - you have to be married 3 years if no kids, 1 year if you have kids), lots of photos and the 5 baht applicaton fee (seriously).

Wow, I thought it used to be that you had to be married for 5 yrs, kids or no kids. We have a daughter and I have 4 yrs of extensions on my Non "O" so I thought I wasn't quite there, but seems I could apply tomorrow. Now, it's another story getting the Surat police to be ready :o

I'm confused about the Tabien Baan. I was first told I could go into my husband's blue one, then told I couldn't, but I didn't realize that I could get a yellow one - thought I had to own my own property to do so, which I don't. Is it possible just to be registered on someone else's? How would that look with partners registered on different TBs? So many questions!

Yellow Tabien ban thread here Naomisri.

And I had to laugh after reading your post, my husband had the same worried look!

Military exemption is no problem, hubby needed that for his green card when we first got married. I still have it.

4 witnesses to vouch for the marriage! Do we still need that (married 18 years last August) or would we be considered valid by this point?

• Like 1

Yellow Tabien ban thread here Naomisri.

And I had to laugh after reading your post, my husband had the same worried look!

Military exemption is no problem, hubby needed that for his green card when we first got married. I still have it.

4 witnesses to vouch for the marriage! Do we still need that (married 18 years last August) or would we be considered valid by this point?

consider using the witness list as a chance to show your connections. For isntance, a head honcho down your way may look preferable to say a your father in law (unless they are one in the same).

No such luck, just local island people. Although hubby's dad's cousin used to be the head of Immigration for Nakhon.... :o

thanks for the updates Samran, as always you are a fount of information!