Should I Correct American Spellings ?

Hi all im just wondering about should i correct the spelling mistakes that the students make when writing ie color, and tire (on a wheel ) or am i just beating my head against the wall ?, they seem to be used alot over here by major retail outlets ,,, so spell as it sounds or the queens english ?

it will be intresting to hear what everybody thinks , il go with the majority

ta very much :o

Spelling is not really a problem, the differences can be easily explained.

But American pronunciation is very hard to explain. In particular the Americans inability to pronounce the letter " T "

The Thai's have a problem with " L " and " R " and the Americans have a problem with " T " and " D "

I have to tell my students that words like " Butter, Better, British etc. " should be spoken using the letter " T "

NOT the American way " Budder, Bedder, Bridish etc. " as there is no letter " D " in any of these words.

Called the "flap-T" from a technical viewpoint, I believe.

Crumpets, anyone? With butter or budder? :D

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you'ins talk'in about? with 2/3 the English speakers speak'in American we'll be spelling British phonetically with a "d"

as in Bridish.

Sorry thats where its all going.

Reform, adapt or be left behind.

American [technical, medical and business] English is the lingua franca of the educated world today, with it's inherited Latin and Greek roots.

It is important to consider this when designing an academic program at any level in Thailand.

British English is quaint and can be lovely to listen to (I enjoy the lilting speech of BBC speakers) but is more important for the Tour Guide industry in the 21st century. Perhaps Mandarin will be the world's "American English" in the 22nd.

With that said, it should be the parent's perogative. (should that be parents' or parent's ? ... don't flame me unless you can answer this AND are inclined to do so!)

NG

Edited by NaiGreg

With that said, it should be the parent's perogative. (should that be parents' or parent's ? ... don't flame me unless you can answer this AND are inclined to do so!)

NG

Hmm good one that would depend upon the number of parents you are talking about.

Plural = s' Singular = 's

You are speaking in general terms, which would affect many so I would opt for plural, but am not 100% sure.

PS the Firefox 2 browser comes with a spell checker :o

Edited by quiksilva

Hi all im just wondering about should i correct the spelling mistakes that the students make when writing ie color, and tire (on a wheel ) or am i just beating my head against the wall ?, they seem to be used alot over here by major retail outlets ,,, so spell as it sounds or the queens english ?

it will be intresting to hear what everybody thinks , il go with the majority

ta very much :o

Spelling is not really a problem, the differences can be easily explained.

But American pronunciation is very hard to explain. In particular the Americans inability to pronounce the letter " T "

The Thai's have a problem with " L " and " R " and the Americans have a problem with " T " and " D "

I have to tell my students that words like " Butter, Better, British etc. " should be spoken using the letter " T "

NOT the American way " Budder, Bedder, Bridish etc. " as there is no letter " D " in any of these words.

Since when do most Britons speak anything even closely related to the King's English?

Even the BBC stopped mandating usage of Received Pronunciation after WWII.

Instead, one is just as likely to hear Britons speaking Cockney, Scouse, Glaswegian, or Brummie. A lot of it is mixed with jargon and slang that makes much of it unintelligible.

Granted, American English is no great example either, but other than occasional New Yorker's saying "budder", I hear many more Britons dropping the letter "H".

'ave a good day!