Phuket’s plan to re-open to foreign tourists on 1 July could be delayed

webfact

46 minutes ago, Raphael Hythlodaeus said:

The CDC says the influenza vaccine is 40¬60% effective, IF the vaccine matches well to the virus. And if it not well matched? Why would the COVID19 vaccine be any better?

Because influenza and Covid are of the same family of corona doesn’t mean they can be directly compared. Flu mutates in a very different way and the vaccine has to change every season. It’s well known that it’s efficacy is limited to 50%ish. Comparing Covid vaccine to influenza is like comparing apples to oranges because they’re both fruits.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, connda said:

The government nationally and regionally seriously needs to hire farang advisors to serve on planning boards which can inform Thai mayors, governors, and ministers when their short-sighted visions have a high probability of careening off the run-way and bursting into flames before becoming airborne. 

yes they should hire the Thaivisa experts.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Desperation........ Give it another six months and you'll be able to buy Phuket for twenty quid.......    I would of thought they'd of figured out by now how much money you could make on testing everyone coming into Thailand, minimum quarantine just like Indonesia and Bobs your uncle, in to spend and enjoy...... This fiasco could go on for another two years easily, every time someone coughs then whole place is shut down.......   Glad i'm in Istanbul, all the bars and restaurants are open and the little flowers over here could match anything in Thailand.......      What a sad farcical situation that's been generated day by day.....       97 dead and willing to sacrifice the stability of the whole country, just shows you how contagious fear can be........  LMF........... 

Total cases
4.21M
Recovered
3.64M
Deaths

turkey covid stats.

9 hours ago, soalbundy said:

For 2.5% it was deadly, especially if they had underlying concerns; for most it was a bad case of flu; for others they didn't even know they had it, let's not make a mountain from a mole hill.

do these stats ever factor in the ones that have a tube shoved down their throat and are saved by hospital intervention, maybe just maybe the 2.5 percent would be much higher without this intervention.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

only Phuket is important... The rest of Thailand not. Get the whole island vaccinated with all available jabs and in the meantime health workers, who are in close contact with possible patients have to wait....  

My Thai wife told me that getting tested for covid-19 in a public hospital was very difficult, with long waiting times, people giving up. Also that a private hospital nearby was allegily charging 10,000 Bhat to get tested. 

If this is true then Covid-19 in Thailand could be a circus, spiraling out of control. 

She says people are very uncertain, a bit scarred, and the crime rate is getting higher, especially for break ins and theft. 

People just don't know what to do. 

Opening up Phuket is like taking a piece of Thailand out of a jigsaw puzzle, then expecting infected people to stay clear of it while all the workers will have immunity, thus not infecting tourists, who themselves may be infected with long tail strains of Covid-19. 

And then, who will want to go to Phuket only. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, geisha said:

I think all the government must stop spouting rubbish and get down to fighting the virus. As Prince Philippe would say “ get on with it “ !

They can't because there is not enough vaccine to go around.  So instead we get these nonsensical restrictions to make people believe they are accomplishing something.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

Thailand must be wanting us foreign tourists back pretty bad, just that they will not officially admit it.

Maybe when the numbers of visitors are way down this Summer, Fall and Winter, TAT and the Thai 

government will finally wake up and start offering some real new perks for international visitors, like

3 to 6 month visas, multi entry for a more reasonable rate. No more 90 day border runs needed, as well.

Time will tell what amount of tourists that Thailand will get.  I do hope that most people will continue to be cautious

and travel safely.

Geezer

• Like 1

While stuck here in Australia we are not allowed to leave the country unless Business or extenuating circumstances plus Qantas airlines not flying internationally till October and that is looking shaky, and guess many other countries in same boat so tourists will be struggling to return by end of year let alone July.

And cruise ships are in the same boat.    

3 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

My Thai wife told me that getting tested for covid-19 in a public hospital was very difficult, with long waiting times, people giving up. Also that a private hospital nearby was allegily charging 10,000 Bhat to get tested. 

If this is true then Covid-19 in Thailand could be a circus, spiraling out of control. 

She says people are very uncertain, a bit scarred, and the crime rate is getting higher, especially for break ins and theft. 

Opening up Phuket is like taking a piece of Thailand out of a jigsaw puzzle, then expecting infected people to stay clear of it while all the workers will have immunity, thus not infecting tourists, who themselves may be infected with long tail strains of Covid-19. 

testing in phuket if you are told to go is FREE< cause u were near  somewhere that someone tested positive

testing, if u need the travel document runs 3, 500 baht at international hospitals

STOP SPREADING FAKE NEWS

Edited by zzzzz
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

testing in phuket if u are told to go is FREE< cause u were somewhere that someone tested positive is free

testing if u need the travel document runs 3, 500 baht

STOP SPREADING FAKE NEWS

There was a mobile testing unit recently in Phuket for a couple of days and that was free to both Thai's and non Thai's if you had been in a high risk venue (the infamous parties). However aside from that then its not free for non Thai's even if you've been asked to as a result of being in a high risk place where there has been an outbreak.

I have direct experience of this with many people because of an outbreak at a school here.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Surely the way to go is for fully vaccinated people to be given free unfettered access as they are not as dirty as most Thais otherwise the vaccine is pointless for any travel long into the future ????

One of the misconception that most people here have is that tourists can't be infected with the virus after full vaccination. Vaccines only gear up your immune system to fight the virus and will not prevent the tourists from being infected.  

After vaccination, it will not cause deaths from the virus but tourists can still pass the virus around before the virus is killed inside their bodies.

The other side (Thai side) must also be vaccinated to achieve herd immunity. The Thai government should vaccinate at least 80% of all Thai people before opening up to tourists.

At present, the vaccination rate in Thailand is less than 1% and they are talking about opening up Phuket which is unrealistic.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2

Could? Highly likely, I suggest. 

40500 ish confirmed cases nationwide,  11900, ish active cases, 99 deaths. It will, in my humble opinion, get a lot worse before it gets better.

Edited by Scott Tracy
Removing superfluous words.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

When will the people in charge understand that a vaccinated person will still pass on the Covid19 virus.

So until everyone in Thailand has been vaccinated to stop the virus from being deadly, NO tourists should be allowed in. 

I ask these so called leaders: what's more important: life over death, or money?

The way these people are acting one would think they have a vested interest in getting tourist money! of course we all know they are really only concerned about the safety of the population. "So get a vaccination program running with a proven record & resist under the counter deals with the useless Sinovac Biotech Ltd.

Reference: https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/herd-immunity-lockdowns-and-covid-19

Herd immunity against COVID-19 should be achieved by protecting people through vaccination, not by exposing them to the pathogen that causes the disease. Read the Director-General’s 12 October media briefing speech for more detail. 

Of course I know nothing compared to Thai experts.

16 hours ago, soalbundy said:

For 2.5% it was deadly, especially if they had underlying concerns; for most it was a bad case of flu; for others they didn't even know they had it, let's not make a mountain from a mole hill.

I'm finding that for a lot of individuals it's an excuse to justify their irrational fear of something most of them have had no close contact with.....   Scared witless by social media.......   

SCARED..........

Edited by SupermarineS6B
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, orchis said:

yes they should hire the Thaivisa experts.

Not such a joke as you'd think........ Do you think this site is not read by the powers that be...... ?   They'd do themselves a favour if they took some advice off TVF, some of it makes sense.........  I once needed to land a letter on a certain desk that there was no chance of doing it normally........ TVF, better than the Royal Mail...... Bang, problem solved......  10,000 views in three days and one of them was the desk required....... Ways to skin a cat come to mind........

• Confused 2

It's quite revealing listening to individuals who are scared senseless by something they've had no close contact with, it reminds me of a girl i once met who was scared to go to sleep because she thought she would die.......  She was a coffee sellers dream...........    It's all getting a bit weird, a bit like buying life insurance before entering a battlefield........    Can you imagine all this flip flopping going on for the next few years ?    Dear me........... Enough to drive you to Chang !  

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, connda said:

The government nationally and regionally seriously needs to hire farang advisors to serve on planning boards which can inform Thai mayors, governors, and ministers when their short-sighted visions have a high probability of careening off the run-way and bursting into flames before becoming airborne. 

In the meanwhile from the "we told you so" department:
????????????????????

So true, but never going to happen ..... It's the Thaiway or the Highway!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, connda said:

In the meanwhile from the "we told you so" department:
????????????????????

I only read on Thursday that there actually is somebody representing all the resorts and hotels(Bill Barnett group C9 Hotelworks)..Anthoney Lark(Phuket Hotels Association) has already met with Australia's Ambassador to Thailand Allan McKinnon and the Australian Consul-General Matthew Barclay to try and get something going.It is happening but Australians just won't be travelling till next year now due to such a slow roll out of the vaccine and uptake!

6 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

Pre covid many people came to Phuket only.

Regarding the rest of your post, rumours from your wife.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, geisha said:

I think all the government must stop spouting rubbish and get down to fighting the virus. As Prince Philippe would say “ get on with it “ !

Price Philippe of the Lombardy region?

16 hours ago, Raphael Hythlodaeus said:

How do you know the others are more effective? You believe the pharma companies who want to sell the product? They are absolved from legal liability if anything goes wrong so why should I trust anything they say?

The amount of wilful ignorance in that comment is breathtaking ????‍♂️ 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, zzzzz said:

testing in phuket if you are told to go is FREE< cause u were near  somewhere that someone tested positive

testing, if u need the travel document runs 3, 500 baht at international hospitals

STOP SPREADING FAKE NEWS

9 hours ago, zzzzz said:

STOP SPREADING FAKE NEWS

This was in the North East, Phuket is probably better equipped as they want to open it up. Her son closed his restaurant as they didn't know the people coming in over Songkran. People from Bangkok freely travelling all over Thailand.