The worst thing about Songkran holidays is having to meet the wifes family.... All of whom don't particularly like me.

jack71

When I visit the wifes home town I opt to stay in a hotel whilst the wife and child stay at the family home. Its been like this since we were married. 

At the time of first meeting years ago, I have never felt accepted by them. Possibly my fault from the start as I stated that I didnt believe in the sinsot system and asked for the money to be given back to be spent on our child. 

One brother was particularly angry and hostile from the start and we cant be in each others presence now. When I met the other one unpacking the car this week he was giving me all sorts of looks.... no smiles. 

Then my daughter later told me that he asked her to give a back massage whilst they were all out by the pool. Its a sore point as Ive previously had to reprimand my wifes father about this over a yr ago. My smart daughter said no to him but I thought it was a bit weird he was playing games like this knowing we dont want our daughter giving massages to any men. 

My daughter also told me that my wife said to her that she is not allowed to get in the car with either of them (ie and go shopping). I was relieved to hear that my wife told her this. 

IMHO I think the best thing any westerner marrying into a Thai family can do is to move away from the city / town where the main family is. If we didnt do this I doubt my marriage would have lasted. Before we had moved away I was certain that the family were doing things to try to push my wife away from me. I suspect its the reason for their odd behaviour in the past. Whenever her parents come to visit they have to stick by the rules of our house or go home. Ive had more than a few hard words (in the past couple of yrs) to both of her parents and dont care about their feelings if they step out of line about my daughter. They know that Im full on strict about her and that I dont care about any repercussions with any of that crowd. 

Anyone else have issues with their Thai family? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jack71 said:

Whenever her parents come to visit they have to stick by the rules of our house or go home.

Easily solved by living in a condo or one bedroom house, so THEY have to stay in an hotel.

My family told my wife to divorce me when I wouldn't give them money- she told me that.

We were happy till we moved to Chiang Mai and the rat bag nephew decided to spend weekends with us. My wife and I had many disputes over him, but she always sided with him over me. Unfortunately I wasn't rich enough to move elsewhere with or without my wife.

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

Dont worry mate, my outlaws are horrible people.

I had an electric motor fitted to our gate keep them out, works fine, they soon got the message, wife goes over there, but they very rarely come over here.

Surprised you haven,t used your shotgun on them col......????

• Haha 1

My TGF is from the south of Thailand and her only direct family is her older brother who is a training officer in the Army....we get on fine and they all seem decent folk...I do not give my GF any "salary" and never will,she is free to leave whenever she is not happy......been together 7 years and we are both very happy,if I ever felt any animosity from her family she would get told..and I would be off if it continued....life,s too short to get messed about by others.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

I had an electric motor fitted to our gate keep them out, works fine, they soon got the message, wife goes over there, but they very rarely come over here.

A .50 caliber on your scooter would do the trick as well.

Image result for .50 caliber mounted to mbile scooter

• Haha 1

Wow, guess that can happen anywhere.....

Fortunately, over the years it's been proven that I married into a warm, happy, active, caring family... We don't live close and I feel bad at times we can't see them more, given the Covid world in which we now find ourselves...

It could have turned out just the opposite....But it didn't....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Silly sods just don't know what they're missing.

Still, I doubt they'd understand your blunt, on point & excellent Northern humour.

We loves 'oo you Col. ????

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Wow, guess that can happen anywhere.....

Fortunately, over the years it's been proven that I married into a warm, happy, active, caring family... We don't live close and I feel bad at times we can't see them more, given the Covid world in which we now find ourselves...

It could have turned out just the opposite....But it didn't....

My wife has 3  brothers, 2 married and one not and she used to have Mum and Dad. They all live in BKK while we live 350km away in Kamphaeng Phet province.

Her Mum used to live with us for 4 or 5 years in a small house until she died about 4 years ago, and her Dad died a couple of years ago.

We helped the family when needed, and they helped us at times, My wife's older brother, his 3rd wife and his daughter from the first marriage, now 26 came up this Songkran, with him as did my wife's younger brother and his wife.

We get on well so I faded into the background as it is a family time for my wife to enjoy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You married that family! 

In Thailand it's impossible to just marry a girl/woman.

And now she is in a bad place between you and her family. She won't be happy about that and that will probably have consequences...

I gotta wonder why someone would willingly enter into such an arrangement.  With all the stories out there that everyone has heard over and over again you cannot even use naivety as an excuse.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Well said mate...completely agree. I've had 27 years of respect both ways (wife and family).

I have been married to my Thai wife for 21 years this month and I knew her for 7 years before we married.

5 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

All my Thai family relatives (and neighbors come to that) have been amazing (15 years).........so friendly.....caring.....always checking I have food, water, air, comfortable.......I feel a little embarrassed at times...........having said that we only visit a few times each year....may be that is the trick.

They aren't your relatives, and they will hate you the moment your relationship fails.

They have no loyalty towards you no matter how nice or helpful you are to them.

Learnt this with my Brit wife's parents when she divorced me, the past counted for nothing, and I was instantly the devil.

Helped those devout Christian f$#@ers for over 30 years with their many family and financial problems, and suddenly I was nothing. Learned my lesson, and pretending to be nice or helpful to the relatives of a woman I'm currently sleeping with won't happen again.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

They aren't your relatives, and they will hate you the moment your relationship fails.

They have no loyalty towards you no matter how nice or helpful you are to them.

Learnt this with my Brit wife's parents when she divorced me, the past counted for nothing, and I was instantly the devil.

5555......which begs the question why are they so friendly.......after 15 years they must have twigged they are not getting a single satang from me.....and they never have???

• Like 2

If you are being friendly and they don't like you they probably don't like each other too.. you can feel like an outsider when in fact there are all sorts of little squabbles going on so just do your thing..

I got on pretty well with my ex's family ..they had rubber trees ..not that well off but didn't ask for much assistance. Took the father and two others to Australia for a holiday ..his first trip overseas. 

Normally they just want to see if you think your different or special so if you stay in their house and eat their food and hang out a bit, a couple of times a  year, that can help you to be accepted.

My current girlfriend just has a sister and a mother so no problems except the odd bit of help. 

• Like 1