WHO Estimates Thailand’s Losses from Road Accidents in 2019 at Bt500 Billion

webfact

it appears the response to this and covid are about the same as it functions from the same orifice.guess what....nothings gonna change except covid will overwhelm the hospitals here especially if they insist on housing patients with no or small symptoms in hospital.home is the answer and the local authority needs to monitor them if they are a pos test but that needs brain power and organisation  and ive never been a place so poorly qualified  outside of africa.its that bad -they do not have the mental, state and organisational resources to deal with this.its just not there.the ability to think and plan does not exist cambodia has about 6% jabs. here its a tenth of that,speaks volumes but the slime is still going thru is daily oozing process as if nothings changed.where are the tests, the hospital beds  and the vaccines?we have a govt thats awash in hot money they wanna do moon shots and buy PRC subs,the def spending is still maxxed,a man thats more money than us all put together and not a single jab for the masses im sure bimbongfrukawittapong and the rest of the hi sos who are so important have all taken care of themselves in true thai rak thai style because theyre better than everyone else,dont all the embassies have a lost of these low life,ban em,gotta start somewhere

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Thailand accidents value is = to 3% of Thai GDP ? The only thing driving the Thai car business GDP it seems is Thais turning into Mad Max whenever they get in their cars

while the rest world are making roads smaller.  ,thailand are making them bigger. ,the worst is changing 2 lane roads in rural villages cutting down all trees. ,been there for years. ,changing the road to 4  lanes. ,madness. ,people can not cross the road in village.  ,no sense  ,for sure just lot money for someone  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jesimps said:

It's amazing really when Thai car drivers are some of the slowest I've encountered living in many countries around the world. It has to be the motorbike contingent bumping up these figures. That, and lack of common sense and the me, me, me attitude.

My brother in law drives 100kms in the 80 zone. No seatbelts. Kids crawling around the place.

34 minutes ago, MasterBaker said:

i think TAT has serious number crunching competition here

Taking  into account cost of rehabilitation and hospital expenses is probably accurate. Australia has an add on to car registration that covers road industry. It is a large amount I think over  2/3's of total government fees.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand is the country with the highest death rate from road accidents in ASEAN of 32.7 per cent

What does this figure mean? 32.7% of people in accidents die? Does that include those that don't die at the scene? 

4 minutes ago, chang1 said:

What does this figure mean? 32.7% of people in accidents die? Does that include those that don't die at the scene? 

Around 80% of them are motorcyclists.
One thing being, the amount of motorcyclists in Thailand, in the UK there are hardly any, in comparison.

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And that is why the government does absolutely nothing to address the problem, as it is out of control and without a fundamental change in the whole of Thai society and culture it cannot be remedied. The government knows that but can't say it.

Are you sure any one of the Goons/Gangsters running this country is intelligent enough themselves to 'know' ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, natway09 said:

The cost of early deaths in the community is horrendous which I have been talking to the wall about for many years.

Good to see an organization putting an assessed figure on it, the light bulbs just may go on

No Bulbs fitted !

So if "over 80% of accidents involved motorcycles, I wonder what percentage of that 80% were:

(a) the fault of motorcycle drivers?

(b) the fault of 4-wheel (and more) vehicles causing the accident involving a motorcyle?

Just wondering! Statistics can mean a lot -- or not a lot!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

WHO had estimated the financial loss from road fatalities in various countries and in the case of Thailand, the losses due to accidents were estimated at 3 per cent of gross domestic product, or Bt500 billion on 2019 GDP of Bt16.87 trillion.

Hrmmm. The losses from corruption are estimated t 35%=40% of GDP.

Given the profit/loss equation, the hand containing traffic accident losses cannot win if it sets RTP corruption against RTA  losses, so on that basis, I would suggest that no significant change will be forthcoming.

5 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Around 80% of them are motorcyclists.
One thing being, the amount of motorcyclists in Thailand, in the UK there are hardly any, in comparison.

Have to agree with your comment Andrew except for one point that the the cars and truck drivers bad driving habits contribute greatly to the fatalities and injuries to motorcyclists in Thailand .

Well, things could be worse. If the accidents were 80 percent vehicles and only 20 percent motorcycles, the

costs would be a lot more.  Especially when the average Thai motorbike is a 125 cc machine.  If people on the

big bikes crash, I just say som nom nah, as if you cannot handle a big bike, you have no business being on one.

I have seen good Thai drivers, and bad expat drivers. My Thai relatives are all pretty careful drivers, and I feel

safe when I travel around the country with them.  They know the Thai rules of the road, and how to watch for

the problem drivers, that we all have to watch out for. In Canada, there are car accidents every day in Calgary

whether the weather is good or bad, I say that our city has way too many village idiots who have unfortunately

moved to the city.  The point is, there is bad drivers all over the world. Stay safe people, that all we can hope for.

Geezer

On 4/19/2021 at 7:50 AM, Asquith Production said:

I didnt say travel had reduced by 50%. Its a combination of travel and Covid restrictions. Plus every year that I can remember fatalities dont reduce by 50% they stay about the same.

OK, continue the argument. EVERY year, and I mean EVERY year, we get this kind of rubbish, terrible seven days stats and we see that they are way below normal. WHO reckons Thailand has about 25 000 road fatalities yearly, that's about 70 a day. Miraculously, EVERY year, Covid or no Covid, the stats get halved over SONG kran.

Of course you could say that this was as a result of our gallant police force making extra efforts to keep accidents down, 

On 4/19/2021 at 7:23 AM, jesimps said:

It's amazing really when Thai car drivers are some of the slowest I've encountered living in many countries around the world. It has to be the motorbike contingent bumping up these figures. That, and lack of common sense and the me, me, me attitude.

You know what they say about "common sense"; it's not very common!

4 hours ago, cooked said:

OK, continue the argument. EVERY year, and I mean EVERY year, we get this kind of rubbish, terrible seven days stats and we see that they are way below normal. WHO reckons Thailand has about 25 000 road fatalities yearly, that's about 70 a day. Miraculously, EVERY year, Covid or no Covid, the stats get halved over SONG kran.

Of course you could say that this was as a result of our gallant police force making extra efforts to keep accidents down, 

I am not arguing I am just stating facts., like these:-

2015 364 dead 52 per day

2016 442 dead 63 per day

2017 390 dead 56 per day

2018 418 dead 60 per day

2019 386 dead 55 per day.

So certainly not way below normal during Songkran these numbers are usual every day numbers. I will agree the efforts of the BIB do not make much difference.

20 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

I am not arguing I am just stating facts., like these:-

2015 364 dead 52 per day

2016 442 dead 63 per day

2017 390 dead 56 per day

2018 418 dead 60 per day

2019 386 dead 55 per day.

So certainly not way below normal during Songkran these numbers are usual every day numbers. I will agree the efforts of the BIB do not make much difference.

It is generally accepted that Thailand has a lot more road deaths than that, read this through:

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/road-deaths/thai-road-deaths-surpass-6000-for-year-to-date#:~:text=Thailand's publicly announced goal of,factor of 10 of more.&text=Most estimates put the figure,way to hospitals, are added.

and try to avoid reports depicting Thailand as a safe place to drive.

1 hour ago, cooked said:

It is generally accepted that Thailand has a lot more road deaths than that, read this through:

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/road-deaths/thai-road-deaths-surpass-6000-for-year-to-date#:~:text=Thailand's publicly announced goal of,factor of 10 of more.&text=Most estimates put the figure,way to hospitals, are added.

and try to avoid reports depicting Thailand as a safe place to drive.

I agree that the figures shown are on the low side and are probably higher. You are the one in your initial post saying that Songkran figures are half of normal figures not me. But the published figures for normal days and holidays are around the same. I also do not believe Thailand is a safe place to drive. Where did I say that?

23 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

I agree that the figures shown are on the low side and are probably higher. You are the one in your initial post saying that Songkran figures are half of normal figures not me. But the published figures for normal days and holidays are around the same. I also do not believe Thailand is a safe place to drive. Where did I say that?

OH dear, you ARE going to have the last word, aren't you?

" I also do not believe Thailand is a safe place to drive. Where did I say that?"

I never said that you did either. Blocking you now for being extremely boring.

17 minutes ago, cooked said:

OH dear, you ARE going to have the last word, aren't you?

" I also do not believe Thailand is a safe place to drive. Where did I say that?"

I never said that you did either. Blocking you now for being extremely boring.

Well thats good so you wont reply to this one then. Your failure to give give accurate facts and fail to remember what you have said in past posts makes it extremely boring.