where have all the antiseptic creams gone

Disparate Dan

I tried searching in TV; can't find anything, although I can't believe no-one's raised this before]

Germolene; Savlon; Dettol cream: three branded general-use antiseptic creams I have been using all my life until recently. Great for anything from a scratch to first-degree burns; easy to use and always OTC.

So where are they all now? Surely everyone keeps a tube of something around the bathroom for minor accidents - kids' scrapes, blisters, sunburn, all kinds of stuff? These brands are not available and appear to have been discontinued (except Savlon in AU, which of course won't ship here).

And/or: is there anything else now available that is remotely useful? I tried "Bepanthen" which is precisely no use for anything. But how come no-one has Dettol (especially given how many other products in that brand are on local shops these days)? Any recommendations?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

You can easily get Dettol solution here. As well as betadine and various other antiseptic solutions.

yes but they do a different job - betadine (iodine) is good for cleaning a wound, but not for leaving on it to soothe. Dettol liquid is for cleaning sinks.

The creams I quoted were ubiquitous for so long; mainly, I am wondering why the tried-and-trusted brands are no longer available and nothing has taken their place - but I'm assuming the greed of big pharma might have something to do with it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Disparate Dan said:

you have used this? Sounds dodgy to me - no ingredients listed but "relief from muscular sprains" hardly sounds right.

I suggest you read the tube on top of the box...see image.

It was a suggestion in answer to your query.

SmartSelect_20210419-222509_Lazada.jpg

7 hours ago, Disparate Dan said:

yes but they do a different job - betadine (iodine) is good for cleaning a wound, but not for leaving on it to soothe. Dettol liquid is for cleaning sinks.

The creams I quoted were ubiquitous for so long; mainly, I am wondering why the tried-and-trusted brands are no longer available and nothing has taken their place - but I'm assuming the greed of big pharma might have something to do with it.

https://www.dettol.com.au/personal-hygiene/first-aid-antiseptics/dettol-classic-antiseptic-liquid-750ml/

Dettol, in dilution, is a great skin antiseptic.

There are others, as mentioned above.

They also make s cream.

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

SYSTRAL seems pretty good for inflammation, insects, sunburn etc. It is antiseptic & antibiotic.

Systral is fantastic for insect bites. Less so for grazes, cuts etc.

4 hours ago, faraday said:

They also make s cream.

But you can't buy it any more anywhere here or online. That was part of my point. Same with the other classics such as Germolene.

11 hours ago, Disparate Dan said:

you have used this? Sounds dodgy to me - no ingredients listed but "relief from muscular sprains" hardly sounds right.

it contains aloe vera and some herbs.