Covid Vax in Chiang Rai

sceadugenga

Chances are it was the Sinovac vaccine which has been proven to be only 16% effective after the first shot in Chile where they have had the world's most intensive vaccination programme under way for some months. Thailand will open registration for vaccination in early May, via the Mor Phrom app, only on Android phones. Actual vaccination is due to start on an undisclosed date in July.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2021 at 10:12 AM, brommers said:

Chances are it was the Sinovac vaccine which has been proven to be only 16% effective after the first shot in Chile where they have had the world's most intensive vaccination programme under way for some months. Thailand will open registration for vaccination in early May, via the Mor Phrom app, only on Android phones. Actual vaccination is due to start on an undisclosed date in July.

Can foreigners register via this app?

I don't expect a free service but would like to get jabbed.

Thailand will open registration for vaccination in early May, via the Mor Phrom app, only on Android phones.

So Granny in the village with an old Nokia phone will be SOL?

• 4 weeks later...

[.......Thailand will open registration for vaccination in early May, via the Mor Phrom app, only on Android phones. Actual vaccination is due to start on an undisclosed date in July.]     Could you be more specific about that Mor Phrom app?   I've found several Mor Phrom options in Google Play,  but unclear which one to install for vaccine registration in Chiangrai.   Tks

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am getting a bit confused as to where to register for public vaccine shots here in Chiang Rai, as various posting of other provinces such as CM seem to have a site for their residents but not CR that I can see.  

I would greatly appreciate some help here with the proper website address.

I went to my district hospital yesterday to get some info and was unable to get registration info.  Two young dr trainees who spoke a little english took all my info , passport, yellow book, hospital ID card, some medical records and my phone number and promised to call when they had knowledge of when foriegners in my age group and health status would be eligible for whatever vaccine would have been obtained by then.  Not holding my breath till they call.

• Like 2

There is a big walk in registration and vaccination facility operating in Big C Chiang Rai. Good oh I thought, let us give it a try!

"No foreigners!"

"But we have been told we can register from today (7th) and that foreigners are included in the vaccination programme."

"No foreigners - come back maybe in 14 days!"

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

There is a big walk in registration and vaccination facility operating in Big C Chiang Rai. Good oh I thought, let us give it a try!

"No foreigners!"

"But we have been told we can register from today (7th) and that foreigners are included in the vaccination programme."

"No foreigners - come back maybe in 14 days!"

This is called: 'Apartheid' 

Well known in South Africa and Thailand.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I am still at a loss as to how and where to register for a govt. vaccine here in CR.  

The Mor Phom app. was pulled and canceled after 2 weeks of mistakes and the gov. said they wanted each province to register and schedule people for vaccinations. 

Can't seem to find out if this is being done in CR.  Have tried the Thai intervace site which seems to be shut down.

Getting a bit antsy as the covid cases increase.  

Also don't want to get left out of the donated Phfiezer vac by America as I am a citizen of USA.  

Why isn't a page on a website created which would indicate active sites for each Province on which to register?

I know of people who went with their Thai wife to local hosp. while vacs were being administered and got a shot, but mine will not cooperate.

Hope this finds a helpful poster.

I know of the private hosp offering but don't want to wait that long.

On 7/7/2021 at 9:47 AM, IraqRon said:

I am still at a loss as to how and where to register for a govt. vaccine here in CR.  

The Mor Phom app. was pulled and canceled after 2 weeks of mistakes and the gov. said they wanted each province to register and schedule people for vaccinations. 

Can't seem to find out if this is being done in CR.  Have tried the Thai intervace site which seems to be shut down.

Getting a bit antsy as the covid cases increase.  

Also don't want to get left out of the donated Phfiezer vac by America as I am a citizen of USA.  

Why isn't a page on a website created which would indicate active sites for each Province on which to register?

I know of people who went with their Thai wife to local hosp. while vacs were being administered and got a shot, but mine will not cooperate.

Hope this finds a helpful poster.

I know of the private hosp offering but don't want to wait that long.

I read that America donated over 100 million baht , just like Australia they donated 68 million , and we cannot get the jab ..????

On 7/9/2021 at 2:24 PM, kevvy said:

I read that America donated over 100 million baht , just like Australia they donated 68 million , and we cannot get the jab ..????

Well as far as AZ is concerned, the British taxpayers funded it's development, trials and initial production, and effectively gave the licence to produce it to Thailand. Need a jab? "<deleted> off you're a foreigner!"

I went to my local district hospital on Friday for my three monthly check up at the Diabetes Clinic. The nurse who deals with me asked about vaccination, I told her I had been refused registration as a foreigner. She was amazed (horrified) and rang the appropriate department in the hospital. Yes, AZ was available, tell him to wait there and we will send someone to get him within the hour. Twenty minutes later she reappears, (very embarrassed) : "I am very sorry, The Ministry of Public Health has said that you cannot be vaccinated".

There you have it, Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls. The Ministry of Public Health are in the driving seat, not the health professionals or clinical need, and they (certainly in Chiang Rai and it seems elsewhere) have a definite policy that foreigners will not be vaccinated.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/21/2021 at 1:27 PM, sceadugenga said:

I see some of the family who work in the hotel industry have had the jab.

Any other news?

It's difficult to imagine how hotel staff in Chiang Rai can get vaccinated on account of their exposure risk, what with just about every hotel in the province in complete shutdown, including the one I'm sitting in right now. I get my first jab next week at Sriburin but this is a private affair based on our construction company passing the vetting process for Sinopharm doses.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I went to my local district hospital on Friday for my three monthly check up at the Diabetes Clinic. The nurse who deals with me asked about vaccination, I told her I had been refused registration as a foreigner. She was amazed (horrified) and rang the appropriate department in the hospital. Yes, AZ was available, tell him to wait there and we will send someone to get him within the hour. Twenty minutes later she reappears, (very embarrassed) : "I am very sorry, The Ministry of Public Health has said that you cannot be vaccinated".

There you have it, Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls. The Ministry of Public Health are in the driving seat, not the health professionals or clinical need, and they (certainly in Chiang Rai and it seems elsewhere) have a definite policy that foreigners will not be vaccinated.

Reports of 2 farangs getting vaccinated with AZ this past week at Big C.

I think you need the pink ID card.

13 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Reports of 2 farangs getting vaccinated with AZ this past week at Big C.

I think you need the pink ID card.

Are there any verified cases (I mean from posters known to be reliable conduits of information) of farangs with social security being refused a vaccine? And, where foreigners are allegedly refused, whatever their status, what evidence is there that it's not merely the act of some racist hospital administrator rather than national policy??? In fact. would the front desk staff even have any clue they should be accepting foreigners for vaccination when they spent their entire careers being told foreigners are not entitled to free healthcare under any circumstances {rhet}.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly

7 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

Are there any verified cases (I mean from posters known to be reliable conduits of information) of farangs with social security being refused a vaccine? And, where foreigners are allegedly refused, whatever their status, what evidence is there that it's not merely the act of some racist hospital administrator rather than national policy??? In fact. would the front desk staff even have any clue they should be accepting foreigners for vaccination when they spent their entire careers being told foreigners are not entitled to free healthcare under any circumstances {rhet}.

No idea about farangs on SS being refused.

As I said, two from a well known Chiang Rai forum received the vaccinations.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I'm not sure what is entailed in becoming a "reliable conduit of information", I can only report my experience, it is up to you whether or not you choose to accept it as  "reliable".

I have been refused twice now, at the Big C set up back at the start of the month, and again as I have  related at the hospital. Both times I presented with my passport (to confirm i.d. and visa status), and my "hospital book" which records all the treatment for my condition ( diabetes). That and my age put me firmly in the vulnerable criteria. That was accepted ( and remarked on) on both occasions by the medical staff. On both occasions the decision to refuse was made by the "man from the ministry".

Myself and wife were at Mae Fa Luang hospital yesterday and enquired about getting a shot.

The nurse said I would have to get an ID card.

As mentioned before, maybe getting the pink ID card is the key.

• Like 1

I was registered at Overbrook before I got my pink ID card. Apart from there, I am also registered in my GF's moo baan, at Mae Chan Hospital, and the government hospital in Chiang Rai.

One of my GF's relatives has had a jab, works at the White Temple.

AFAIK the real problem is availability of any vaccine, plus the fact Sinovac is ineffective against the Delta variant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

Myself and wife were at Mae Fa Luang hospital yesterday and enquired about getting a shot.

The nurse said I would have to get an ID card.

As mentioned before, maybe getting the pink ID card is the key.

Getting a pink ID card is another story. Over the seven years I have lived here I have made three attempts to do so, collecting all the required documents, going to the amphur told they will contact me - they never do, and when you go to enquire they deny all knowledge - hopeless!

The Thai government policy, as stated to a variety of Ambassadors amongst others, was that foreigners resident in Thailand would be vaccinated on the basis of need, along with the general population. The medial staff are attempting to do that, they are being stopped by the (local) Ministry of Public Health who are openly stating that they will not consider foreigners for vaccination.

Lack of vaccines undoubtedly plays a part, but last Friday at Wiang Chiang Rung hospital they had vaccines available (AZ) the medics wanted to vaccinate me, the MoPH official stationed there to oversee it said no - foreigner.

That is the reality I am afraid.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Getting a pink ID card is another story. Over the seven years I have lived here I have made three attempts to do so, collecting all the required documents, going to the amphur told they will contact me - they never do, and when you go to enquire they deny all knowledge - hopeless!

The Thai government policy, as stated to a variety of Ambassadors amongst others, was that foreigners resident in Thailand would be vaccinated on the basis of need, along with the general population. The medial staff are attempting to do that, they are being stopped by the (local) Ministry of Public Health who are openly stating that they will not consider foreigners for vaccination.

I employed a Thai agent to get my yellow book and pink card. She spoke good English. 1700 baht, IMO money well spent.

The whole process took about 4 hours over three visits. It probably should have taken about 30 minutes maximum if the official at the tessaban had spoken even rudimentary English, and also had been remotely competent at what she was doing. Being asked for my date of birth six times in the space of an hour was to me a reasonable indicator.

Unless one is fluent in Thai, spoken and printed, I'd say trying to get a pink card is an exercise in futility without support. Unless one gets lucky with a competent officer.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2021 at 2:30 PM, VocalNeal said:

So Granny in the village with an old Nokia phone will be SOL?

A team of health workers in uniforms came to our Issan moo ban a couple of months ago, and we're a bit remote. They urged the old folks to get jabbed because of their higher risk. Heh, the first question the old folks asked is, which jab is it? They were told Sinovac. They refused.

What they didn't tell the old folks though, is that if they were to go to the nearest big town's hospital, Sinovac and Astra jabs are available. My coworkers all got Astra jabs, and I'm waiting for mine.

Certainly lends credence to the theory that someone's pushing the Chinese jab, for some reason. As that poor engineering student found out, who's going to jail over that Wikipedia edit.

• Like 2

I finally got registered at Central Plaza, CR, after obtaining a pink ID card.  

Being over 60 I hope to get AZ as promised in August.

Not being considered as having an existing condition as I am not now on daily meds and not currently under a drs care.  

• Like 2

I was scheduled for my first AZ shot on Aug, 10 At the Wiang Chai local Hospital just got a phone call saying it will be Sinovac followed by second shot of AZ. I'm not happy about that but something is better than nothing at 70 with co-morbidities. From what I can gather from the news lately is that the Sinovac is quite ineffective especially against the Delta variant hopefully with the second sot of Az it will provide some better protection. To be followed by a booster when other come available. As I said I am definitely not happy about the switch but am not going to turn it down either.