What brand of vaccine to take

rodknock

it looks like all the major vaccines have questionable efficacy and safety??

blood clots seam more the normal.

now they are talking will have to have 3rd. shot with in a year???

i have had a dvt, so i feel i do not want to have another one that can kill me(pulmonary embolism).

unless you have had one, you are missing all the fun!

• Haha 1

i have had a dvt, so i feel i do not want to have another one that can kill me(pulmonary embolism).

The problem is that Covid can also cause severe clotting; IDK what the best approach is in your situation (if you have access to vaccines).

Almost any vaccine have 100% efficacy against severe forms of Covid. So I will buy any of them as soon as possible.

I think Darwin would call it natural selection. When those who cannot throw away all the political <deleted> in the field of vaccines will not survive.

Edited by friendofthai
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Victornoir said:

What a lot of nonsense.

A 10-year-old would immediately see that your calculations are inconsistent.

As for your sources: "I read somewhere" they are directly related to gossip.

What "calculations" or sources are you on about? He linked to the data. Very weird post.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Victornoir said:

Covid: 0.5 deaths in 1000 = 500 per million
AZ = 5 per million
Covid kills 100 times more. (and not 8 times ???)
This kind of inconsistent talk harms the vaccine project on the pretext of defending it.

He was referring to instances of cerebral venous thrombosis, not deaths.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

He was referring to instances of cerebral venous thrombosis, not deaths.

Exactly.....  

1 hour ago, Victornoir said:

A 10 year old could have read the linked article and not continued to make a fool of themselves !!!! 

1 hour ago, Victornoir said:

Hilarious...  

A 10 year old would have recognised that the linked article was a site intended for healthcare professionals.... 

Unfortunately, those who don’t know what they don’t know, don’t know what they don’t know !!!! 

• Thanks 1

get now flu jab, might be protecting directly.

also pneumonia prevnar 13.

you can take them on the same day.

from 2700b, including all fees.

from early june will be sputnik.

in august do take moderna.

expect 1600-7500b per shot.

probably good idea to mix different vax. Unless you need covid passport, in thailand they would rather want the same, but in the world health officials are more opened.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Exactly.....  

A 10 year old could have read the linked article and not continued to make a fool of themselves !!!! 

Hilarious...  

A 10 year old would have recognised that the linked article was a site intended for healthcare professionals.... 

Unfortunately, those who don’t know what they don’t know, don’t know what they don’t know !!!! 

Rude

2 hours ago, Victornoir said:

What a lot of nonsense.

The J&J vaccine has been "paused" in the US over 6 serious clotting events.

This is a frequency of less than 1 in a million.

https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/mayo-clinic-responds-to-the-johnson-johnson-covid-19-vaccine-pause/

"Out of an abundance of caution, the FDA and CDC recommends a pause on the Johnson & Johnson vaccine based on six rare blood clotting events in recipients."

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/04/mrna-vaccines-johnson-blood-clots/618594/

"The blood-clot events with the AstraZeneca and J&J vaccines are so rare—appearing in one in 100,000 to one in 1 million vaccine recipients—that they would not have shown up in clinical trials"

"Back in December, experts quickly noticed and warned the public about a handful of severe allergic reactions to the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines, ... In addition, doctors have picked up on a possible one-in-a-million risk of a bleeding disorder called immune thrombocytopenia, which happens when the immune system attacks platelets after vaccination. (It’s a rare but documented side effect of some other vaccines, such as the one against measles.) These patients do have low platelet counts, but they do not have the accompanying blood clots that seem unique to adenovirus-vector vaccines."

These adverse events are rare.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rodknock said:

every thing is great, as long as you are not the one in a million that gets an embolism and dies!

You have falsely used / created a static to embellish and elevate the risks. 

Many people have a thrombotic event in their life. 

In fact Thrombosis is the number one cause of preventable deaths in the USA. 

You have quoted ‘one in million that gets an embolism and dies’ - this is incorrect... most of those who have an thrombotic event do not die.

A thrombotic event could be a blood clot in the in the legs (DVT), in the brain (stroke) etc.

I know a few people who have had Thrombotic events, they’re a lot more common than reported. 

I have had two Pulmonary Embolism's (one in my 30’s another in my 40’s) and I lead an active lifestyle (one was from a sports injury - but it looks like I have elevated susceptibility, the second we have no idea how it came about as there was no DVT).

So...  the 1 in 1,000,000 stat (even if its accurate) of those suffered a Thrombotic event (embolism as you named it) does not die, they are readily treatable with blood thinning medication (rTPA in emergencies Low Molecular Weight Heparin (Clexane), longer term with Rivoroxaban (Xarelto) or Warfarin).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Rude

Agreed, Rude....  in response to the poster in question writing: 

[A 10-year-old would immediately see that your calculations are inconsistent]

[As for your sources: "I read somewhere" they are directly related to gossip]

The suggestion that a 10 year old could immediately see that another posters calculations are inconsistent was wrong, the ‘calculations’ were quoted directly from a good source. 

The source quoted was a site specifically for Medical Professionals - hardly a source of gossip.

Thus: While it's admirable to ’stick up’ and support a poster who is on the receiving end of ridicule, sometimes these posters have a degree of ridicule coming their way after they have attempted to claim the ‘intellectual high ground’ and got it wrong !...  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed, Rude....  in response to the poster in question writing: 

[A 10-year-old would immediately see that your calculations are inconsistent]

[As for your sources: "I read somewhere" they are directly related to gossip]

The suggestion that a 10 year old could immediately see that another posters calculations are inconsistent was wrong, the ‘calculations’ were quoted directly from a good source. 

The source quoted was a site specifically for Medical Professionals - hardly a source of gossip.

Thus: While it's admirable to ’stick up’ and support a poster who is on the receiving end of ridicule, sometimes these posters have a degree of ridicule coming their way after they have attempted to claim the ‘intellectual high ground’ and got it wrong !...  

Fair point - but I don't understand all the aggression in the debates about COVID and vaccines.

Most of my work over the past 45 years has been in public health, safety and risk assessment, and I understand just enough about vaccine technology to know that without a solid background in immunology we'll not be able to interpret most of what we find when Googling. 

But statements like the following from the EMA is enough for me to have the vaccine  ....... if we ever get the chance ????

"According to the European Medicines Agency (EMA), 30 cases of thromboembolic events (predominantly venous) had been reported by March 10, 2021, among the approximately 5 million recipients of the Oxford–AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine in the European Economic Area.

The EMA subsequently stated that “The number of thromboembolic events in vaccinated people is no higher than the number seen in the general population”.

Extract from a report in The Lancet.

Edited by Kinnock
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Victornoir said:

Covid: 0.5 deaths in 1000 = 500 per million
AZ = 5 per million
Covid kills 100 times more. (and not 8 times ???)

For now.

Phase 3 trials are still ongoing on millions of human guinea pigs, and it is only after a few years that we will have significant data...as usual with new vaccines or medical treatments.

• Thanks 1

I'm on my way to the BKK airport tonight, will arrive in the US Friday evening and I have an appointment to get the Pfizer vaccine Saturday morning. Depending on which vaccination location I picked, I could choose either Moderna or Pfizer. I selected a Pfizer vaccination center because the second shot is given in 3 weeks instead of 4; so I figure I'll be fully immunized one week sooner. 

I may be in the minority but as for me, I'm going to depend on my own immune system to protect me. Wash my hands more times than usual and take vitamin supplements. I refuse to get ANY covid shots.. But that's just me. I have no problem with people doing differently. Wearing a mask is a waste of time and effort. They have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that masks are completely ineffective in stopping a virus. So why bother?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Personally I would go for Sputnik V, the Gamelaya Institute has been around for over a 100 years and have done some outstanding work in the process, which also explains the speed of development as they have the building blocks to create a vaccine very quickly

The Chinese vaccines have also had positive reports, Sinovac was subject to an article in the Lancet that basically says its safe and effective, quite a few countries are using this vaccine and Chile recently reported a very favourable review

there is another vaccine recently developed by a lady called Chen Wai who is well respected in the epidemiology field. My understanding is that this covers all variants and is effective for pregnant women.   

Sinopharm is also good, most of the Chinese population have been vaccinated with this, but I understand that there is now a third vaccination needed due to the new variants, so I suspect it may not be entirely effective 

I would not opt for the Moderna vaccine if I was presented with a choice, no other reason than the vaccine development was paid for by US tax payers and this company announced anticipated  profits of $30 Billion - sounds like price gouging on an extraordinary level 

Astra Zeneca; friends and family have had it back in the UK, one friend had an allergic reaction but nothing life threatening and I'm happy that they have been inoculated 

But in any case as of now I would take anything that was offered, even Chloroquine!!! 

59 minutes ago, DFPhuket said:

I'm on my way to the BKK airport tonight, will arrive in the US Friday evening and I have an appointment to get the Pfizer vaccine Saturday morning. Depending on which vaccination location I picked, I could choose either Moderna or Pfizer. I selected a Pfizer vaccination center because the second shot is given in 3 weeks instead of 4; so I figure I'll be fully immunized one week sooner. 

Where did you get your required Covid test and what type of test did you get to board the flight?

I would take any brand for now except Sinovac, which has shown worst results (around 50%)  and reliable data are not available. Till we know over time what is best I feel that any brand will give some form of protection. So I will take whatever I can get, but if I had a real choice it would be Pfizer or Janssen (only one shot). I am an MD, so I think I am in a bit better position to have an opinion.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2021 at 5:33 PM, friendofthai said:

Almost any vaccine have 100% efficacy against severe forms of Covid. So I will buy any of them as soon as possible.

I think Darwin would call it natural selection. When those who cannot throw away all the political <deleted> in the field of vaccines will not survive.

I have not seen even one Vaccine rated at 100% efficacy.  Also, vaccines had different time tables and population sizes which were used to specify efficacy.  In addition keep in mind in the USA vaccines were given emergency approval ratings, and were not subject to normal test practices.  I say it is all a crapshoot.  However, in times like this it seem like try or die are probable paths.