Bank transfers

45 minutes ago, offset said:

I bank with Kbank and all my transfers with Wise only takes seconds but I only transfer no more than 2000 sterling I would guess that larger sums maybe different

I forgot to say the money came from my Nationwide account not a credit or debit card

This transfer was done on a Monday, at 1.13 pm Thai time.

It was done with a Transferwise account I had just registered minutes earlier, using a Belgian debit card (obviously not registered with Transferwise) to a UK based bank account. Took 6 seconds.

image.png.4c8536184ce83c5fbf48b0deb7e0191a.png

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Thanks. So clearly it's one's local bank that is the most important factor. Like you say Kasikorn is one of Wise's agency banks which must 'oil the wheels' so to speak.

And I presume you always choose the 'funds for long term stay in Thailand' option.

Thanks again.

I am not sure that Kbank is a Wise agency bank because the transfers is shown as from a "dummy account" on my statement but I believe that BKK bank it is shown as a FFT transfer ( a direct foreign transfer)

3 hours ago, anchadian said:

There is no such thing as an instant international money transfer.

It depends on the type of account at the Thai bank.

My wife has two accounts with GSB, both opened at the same GSB branch in the sticks.
(1) is a standard savings account with a debit card and pretty low recurring fees.
(2) is some sort of special savings account with a visa credit card. Costs around 600 Baht a year IIRC. It's not a giro account.
We tested the transfer times to both accounts several times. Same amount, same reason "sending home to family", nearly-simultaneous transfer of the Euros to Wise's Belgian SEPA account.
The results are always the same:
Transfer time to (1) is between 10 and 22 hours.
Transfer time to (2) is between 1 and 30 minutes.

(on condition that
- the amount is less than 2000 Euro,
- the transfer is made during the Thai bank's business hours,
- the sending bank allows Realtime SEPA Transfers)

My UK bank to Wise to my Bangkok Bank using reason "Monthly living expenses" is usually instant.  I've even mentioned before on here that going by the timestamps BBL actually received it a minute before Wise sent it!

My UK bank to Wise to my Bangkok Bank using reason "Funds for long stay in Thailand" next working day about 2:00pm Thai time.

Next weekend if the reason is Funds for long stay I would expect the money to arrive on Wednesday 5th.  Not sure about if the reason is Monthly living expenses as I can't recall if I've tried it at the weekend or on a bank holiday before.