What can't I post like everybody else (normal people!)?

Toolong

Hi....don't know what topic to place this under, just (embarrassingly) need help!

Been a member of TV for a few years but haven't until now used it much....and now I do want to use it, I have quickly realised (to my shame!) that for some reason I can't seem to reply/post in the way everybody else appears to do!

How do you reply to a specific poster and include their message, or bits of their message?

I'm on my phone and the only option to reply appears to be a prompt saying 'Reply to this topic', which is ok but I actually want to reply to a specific poster and include their post, or bits of it.

What the hell am I missing? (Apart from some brain cells, obviously!)

3 minutes ago, rott said:

At the foot of the post it says

click on that and all will be revealed. 

Like this :) 

Note that you cannot quote the first post of a thread in this manner.

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Like this ????

Note that you cannot quote the first post of a thread in this manner.

I have noticed this already ; so, how to "quote " the first post of a thread ? and if not possible , why ? 

12 minutes ago, rott said:

At the foot of the post it says

click on that and all will be revealed. 

All was indeed revealed! Thank you so much! 

Very embarrassing, but I thought the 'quote' thing was for something else entirely! (But we know what 'thought' did, eh? ☺)

Why I didn't have the gumption to just click on the damned thing I dunno! 

Thanks friend. Oh for the small joys of life! ????

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Toolong said:

Hi....don't know what topic to place this under, just (embarrassingly) need help!

quote.jpg

Usually just select the text (I do with the mouse) and click on the "Quote Selection".

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Aforek said:

I have noticed this already ; so, how to "quote " the first post of a thread ? and if not possible , why ? 

Because it is taken as a given that if you are not reply to a post in the thread that you are replying to the thread itself

Edited by n00dle

24 minutes ago, n00dle said:
48 minutes ago, Aforek said:

24 minutes ago, n00dle said:

Because it is taken as a given that if you are not reply to a post in the thread that you are replying to the thread itself

You're wrong folks. You can 'quote' the first post in a thread, the proof is below. You first highlight the post (or a part thereof) using left click and hold then click the 'quote selection' box that pops up.

1 hour ago, Toolong said:

Been a member of TV for a few years but haven't until now used it much....and now I do want to use it, I have quickly realised (to my shame!) that for some reason I can't seem to reply/post in the way everybody else appears to do!

How do you reply to a specific poster and include their message, or bits of their message?

I'm on my phone and the only option to reply appears to be a prompt saying 'Reply to this topic', which is ok but I actually want to reply to a specific poster and include their post, or bits of it.

What the hell am I missing? (Apart from some brain cells, obviously!)

And voila, here is the first post!

Edited by Moonlover

10 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

You're wrong folks. You can 'quote' the first post in a thread, the proof is below. You first highlight the post (or a part thereof) using left click and hold then click the 'quote selection' box that pops up.

Yes indeed, but the question was not why can't you quote a selection, it was why is there no quote option below the op.

• Like 1

It's an initiation test - if you can't work it out, you're too stupid to reply.

Obv' not a thorough test as so many made it through as you'll soon find out.....

BTW - after your first reply you have to buy all TV members a beer.....

????

Edited by Pmbkk
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, n00dle said:

Yes indeed, but the question was not why can't you quote a selection, it was why is there no quote option below the op.

It's actually done because many members were quoting the OP in their responses when it wasn't really necessary and made the threads stupidly long. With the new function that reduces quotes with an "Expand" button it's less necessary but I doubt it will be going away.

And, as noted earlier, it is actually possible to quote the OP just requires a little effort.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Pmbkk said:

It's an initiation test - if you can't work it out, you're too stupid to reply.

Obv' not a thorough test as so many made it through as you'll soon find out.....

BTW - after your first reply you have to buy all TV members a beer.....

????

I failed the test miserably! Would buy the beers but I'd only be encouraging drunkeness and wild revelry.  ????

Don't be embarrassed.

I read this thread with interest myself, because I too wasn't sure how to do it.

This sight is no doubt full of ladies and gents of a certain era, that I used to call before mobile phones, but now call before smartphones.

We all try our best to keep up with the tech, and sometimes surprise ourselves. ????

8 minutes ago, northsouthdevide said:

Don't be embarrassed.

I read this thread with interest myself, because I too wasn't sure how to do it.

This sight is no doubt full of ladies and gents of a certain era, that I used to call before mobile phones, but now call before smartphones.

We all try our best to keep up with the tech, and sometimes surprise ourselves. ????

Thanks, friend. I appreciate that.....and yes, I'm most definitely 'of a certain era'!

Cheers. ????????????

8 hours ago, n00dle said:

@n00dle  I cannot find the post, preceding your post I am quoting above, that asked "why is there no quote option below the op".  Would you be so kind as to give a link to the post you are referring to?