Withdrawing THB with international card - best exchange rate in Pattaya/Jomtien?

BUMMERJACK

Hello Thaivisa,

I came here little over a month ago and I need to withdraw some baht. I do not have a thai bank account yet, and won't be getting one within one-two months. And it's time to pay rent and other utilities. The conversation rate plus the 200 baht fee from the ATM isn't very favorable, but I don't really know the area or what the better way would be.

When I've lived in Phuket before, we used to visit currency exchange offices where one could buy THB with credit card, without an upper limit and get much better rates than the ATM. Is that still the better option for me? If so, any recommendations? Preferably in Jomtien seeing as it is where I reside. 

Grateful for any advice.

10 minutes ago, BUMMERJACK said:

I've got a regular Mastercard, I don't think I have any special overseas rates.

So I can go into regular banks and withdraw without the ATM fee? That sounds handy.

you can but you have to find a friendly bank, some may say no. Krungsri were good, Kasikorn only allowed 20k which is pretty low

OP. I think you will find whatever bank you use wont make a difference to the exchange rate as the rate will be the Mastercard rate.

Its more like you are doing a cash advance on CC, not a bank withdrawal.

46 minutes ago, BUMMERJACK said:

I've got a regular Mastercard, I don't think I have any special overseas rates.

So I can go into regular banks and withdraw without the ATM fee? That sounds handy.

"Regular Mastercard" is neither useful nor accurate.

Most banks will reject use of a Debit card over the counter.

Your possibly only way to mitigate your costs is to draw the maximum from an ATM and to bear the pain. The lowest ATM fee is with AEON. Possibly your closest in at Tesco on Sukhumvit. But the withdrawal limit with AEON ATM is 20k. Some other banks allow 30 k, but charge the full 220 baht or whatever it is. Then of course it's your bank who will hit you with further charges.

If you have a friend with a Thailand bank account, try https://wise.com

• Confused 1