Gyms?

sqwakvfr

I just found out the Gym inside of the Orchid Hotel will be closed until May 10.  All I was told was "Big Boss" ordered it??? The employee did not elaborate who the "Big Boss" is(hotel manager or provincial governor??).  It looks and smells like a "lockdown" has started or is going to start? 

Yes, closed, the order was released yesterday.

Didn't see a news in English yet, here one in Thai: https://www.cm108.com/w/48221/

Google translate of the closed places:

1 establishments, establishments, entertainment venues, pubs, bars, karaoke establishments Bath / massage parlor 2 theaters, cinemas, theaters 3, water parks, theme parks 4, zoos, 5 rollerblading rinks, 6 snooker tables, billiards, bowling 7, games, arcade machines, Internet cafes 8, Swimming pools, 9 schools Teach martial arts (gym) fitness 10 at the exhibition. Exhibition center And convention center 11 museums 12 public / community / private libraries 13 nurseries Child Development Center 14 Elderly Care Centers 15 Tattoo-Piercing / Body Piercing 16 Dance / Dance School 17 Amulet Center, Phra Amulet Field, 18 Stadiums of All Kinds With effect from 27 April to 10 May 2021

Edited by jackdd
  • Thanks 1

It wasn't announced until kind of late last night- people who didn't check FB before heading out for their morning workout got an unhappy surprise when they found the door to their gyms locked with the bad news re: the closure on a flyer.

Edited by flare

"It wasn't announced until kind of late last night- people who didn't check FB before heading out for their morning workout got an unhappy surprise when they found the door to their gyms locked with the bad news re: the closure on a flyer"

That would be me and few others this morning.  A very stressed gym employee was attempting to explain in very limited English why the gym was closed.  I then told him "Manager".  He promptly called the manager at home and woke him up.  The manager then replied to me "Big Boss said to close".  This explained it. 

"Joy to the World and Jeremiah was a Bullfrog".  I had a flashback to this time in 2020.  I just hope it does not go on longer than May 10????

19 minutes ago, Fromas said:

According to rumors the closures will go on till end of May at the earliest.

Currently the facts say until 10th May though ????

The closures could of course be extended, but nobody knows this yet, this will depend on how the Covid situation evolves.

I was turned away from the Orchid this morning as well. Thought to myself "perhaps time to have a look round". I joined there in June 2007 and have more or less ignored the fact that it has been going downhill. I will take this as an opportunity to shake things up a bit.

The owner of the gym I go to said it was a 200K fine for any place that let members use their facilities during the next two weeks, so (while I heard some gyms let people in and closed the curtains and dimmed the lights to avoid detection during the last shutdown) I don't think that any will chance opening early this time.  The numbers have gone down in CM the last few days, so hopefully they can open back up as scheduled on the 10th.  It's another big financial hit for the people that run the businesses on the list that many really can't afford.

If you've got sturdy furniture to use as an ersatz substitute for gym equipment, there are home workouts you can do that will keep you at least somewhat fit in the meantime- YouTube has several vids, some being better than others.

• Like 2

What are the odds of Gyms opening back up May 10?  Slim and None or None and Slim?  Even though CNX number are declining I can't see Gyms opening while Cinemas are closed and Restaurants are only offering take away/delivery.  Going up and down the stairs is about the only  cardiovascular workout I am getting now.  

The 11th is the earliest date and with the steady decline of reported cases of Covid I'm hopeful that they will be allowed to open along with restaurants. Standing by for the word from those that rule.

Holding breath not recommended at this stage.

How much do they charge for using the gym at Orchid hotel?

1 Day                      400 Baht

1 Month                3000 Baht

3 Months             6000 Baht

6 Months             9000 Baht

This includes the use of the hotel pool.  Gym also has lockers, showers and a dry sauna

Of this the rates are subject to change(especially after this latest shutdown).  This gym meets all of my needs.  It opens at 0600 and closes at 2100.  

14 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

How much do they charge for using the gym at Orchid hotel?

1 Day                      400 Baht

1 Month                3000 Baht

3 Months             6000 Baht

6 Months             9000 Baht

This includes the use of the hotel pool.  Gym also has lockers, showers and a dry sauna

Of this the rates are subject to change(especially after this latest shutdown).  This gym meets all of my needs.  It opens at 0600 and closes at 2100.  

True, 12,000 baht per year, but for the last 3 years at least, they have had a promotion 3 people sign together it's 10,000 baht each. The kicker is, none of the 3 have to be a new member.

4 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Can anyone in CNX confirm the following:  Gyms, Cinemas, dine-in restaurants are now closed until further notice?  This may not be called a "lockdown" but if it quacks like a duck???

My gym says reopening on the 16th.  
You just made it up, right?

“One establishment and you conclude it is all plus other major categories?”

I asked for confirmation.  I seek out confirmation from someone who is more informed and wiser.  Maxx is just one example of a fitness establishment that is communicating to all concerned that they are closed until further notice due to a directive issued by the Provincial Government. I did not see the need to post more evidence to ask for confirmation.  At this time I have been unable to find the specific provincial directive concerning Gyms and other establishments translated into English. 

Therefore, I am not making any conclusion(s) because I have not been able to confirm it.  Confirmation comes before conclusion??  At least I thought so? But of course I could be wrong?  Also, this is not a conclusion.  

Edited by sqwakvfr
  • Like 1

Speed Gym, Loft Gym, Magnus Gym, Ruamchok Fitness, D Fitness, Maxx Gym (as noted above), and I'm sure other gyms have posted the same notice (some gyms might not have updated their websites and FB pages yet, but they're all subject to the same order)- gyms are closed 'indefinitely' (meaning until the government declares otherwise) in Chiang Mai.  Below is the official announcement, which says the new order started from May 8th, superseding the previous announcement that gyms would open on May 11th.  It's possible they'll open soon as the case numbers have been declining in CM, but there's no firm opening date for any gym (or any other type of establishment listed) at the moment.

This is the order that Fromas referenced above.

F77779D9-62B7-4B83-8231-3C0980DDB911.jpeg

Edited by flare
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

“One establishment and you conclude it is all plus other major categories?”

I asked for confirmation.  I seek out confirmation from someone who is more informed and wiser.  Maxx is just one example of a fitness establishment that is communicating to all concerned that they are closed until further notice due to a directive issued by the Provincial Government. I did not see the need to post more evidence to ask for confirmation.  At this time I have been unable to find the specific provincial directive concerning Gyms and other establishments translated into English. 

Therefore, I am not making any conclusion(s) because I have not been able to confirm it.  Confirmation comes before conclusion??  At least I thought so? But of course I could be wrong?  Also, this is not a conclusion.  

Wow you guys....these places don’t close because they want to!!

If Maxx closed its because they had to..... they’re all closed for the same reason...they were forced to close!!

The rules don’t cherry pick

• Like 1