Covid 19 vaccinations - shameful response by UK Government

Adelphi

It does make you wonder if the UK government think the Thai Government Vaccine program is good enough for UK citizens, then why are the UK embassy giving vaccine to their Thai staff?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 5/2/2021 at 1:13 PM, sungod said:

It does make you wonder if the UK government think the Thai Government Vaccine program is good enough for UK citizens, then why are the UK embassy giving vaccine to their Thai staff?

I would have thought the more pertinent question is - why, if the British government thinks that the Thailand vaccine rollout is acceptable for resident British citizens, does it feel it necessary the local arrangements are not acceptable for them, ie by vaccinating its  staff with imported products.

To be honest I don't really have a problem with this.But it would be better if this hypocrisy was admitted openly.And in view of the 'can't really be bothered attitude" which many have noted, it's hard not to be unimpressed.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, jayboy said:

I would have thought the more pertinent question is - why, if the British government thinks that the Thailand vaccine rollout is acceptable for resident British citizens, does it feel it necessary the local arrangements are not acceptable for them, ie by vaccinating its  staff with imported products.

To be honest I don't really have a problem with this.But it would be better if this hypocrisy was admitted openly.And in view of the 'can't really be bothered attitude" which many have noted, it's hard not to be unimpressed.

The lack of response on here by the BE speaks volumes.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 4/30/2021 at 8:34 AM, cocacola said:

I am quite happy to be included in the Thailand vaccine rollout program, but when I contacted my local government hospital I was told, as a foreigner, I cannot register. How did you manage to register for the vaccine program?

On June the 14th I was also told this. Thais first.

On 4/29/2021 at 11:55 AM, Tony M said:

Adelphi, when you say that all of those who work in the UK Embassy in Bangkok have been vaccinated as well as the employees of the British Council, do you mean UK-based staff only (those sent out from UK to work) or do you mean all staff including locally - employed Thai staff ? 

They vaccinated all staff including Thais

• Like 1

On 5/2/2021 at 1:05 PM, keithcresswell said:

It seems to me that if the UK can donate surplus vaccines abroad then why not include British tax payers who live abroad. 

It's actually in every country's best interest to see that their citizens abroad do get vaccinated so when they do eventually return home for whatever reason the risk of them bringing infection with them is removed or has been greatly reduced. Australia's Dr. Norman Swan has been talking about this for many months. Australia, just like UK, has returning people bringing new covid strains with them. Swan recommends the gov send sufficient supplies of vaccines to various countries, where they can be administered by Embassy approved hospitals to Australian citizens, so all returning Aussies are fully vaccinated prior to boarding flights home.

On 6/24/2021 at 5:32 AM, thonglorjimmy said:

Maybe HMG could divert some of the considerable UK income tax that is paid by the OP, myself and no doubt many others, part of which goes towards funding the NHS which we have to pay to use, towards the cost of vaccinating us here.

The NHS you pay for is still there and functioning as usual.  You presumably knew it had no facilities in Thailand when you moved here, so it shouldn't have come as a surprise now.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Guderian said:

You are missing the point. Of course @thonglorjimmyknew that there was no NHS in Thailand, and that he had no entitlement under the 30 Baht scheme here, so either via his own medical insurance, or else paying out of his own pocket, he's probably been quite happy, like most of the rest of us, to use the (pretty good) Thai private hospital system. Now the Thai government, by denying the private hospitals the right to provide as many doses of vaccine as required for their paying customers has, in effect, cut us off completely. We're at the very back of the queue in the national vaccination system (assuming we're in it at all, only a handful of people have been able to register), and the private hospitals are, in effect, closed to us by the government. I for one am quite shocked by that response, and discriminating against us because of our race or passport is sickening. Would the UK have refused a white Dutchman or a black American living in the country a vaccine based on their race or passport?

I can't understand the problem. Is it provincial? Many expats being registered for a FREE vaccine in hour home town. Some have even received their first doses.

4 minutes ago, puchooay said:

I can't understand the problem. Is it provincial? Many expats being registered for a FREE vaccine in hour home town. Some have even received their first doses.

It might well be. Chiang Mai and Hua Hin seem to be quite well organised re. farang vaccinations, but Chonburi is almost completely ignoring us. And there's a lot of farangs in Chonburi, as well as a lot of good private hospitals that aren't allowed to sell us vaccines, at least not until October at the earliest, or some unspecified date thereafter.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2021 at 12:09 PM, petermik said:

Why the hell should the UK Government bail you out when you live here....you want the vaccine so go home and get it free or pay for it here.....????

how do you pay for it her

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OJAS said:

On 6/26/2021 at 12:41 PM, steve187 said:

how do you pay for it her

7 hours ago, OJAS said:

Quite a few people on here are awaiting an answer to that crucial question from @petermik!

Same as you pay for anything over here...Thai Baht....or is that too difficult to understand?

• Sad 2

45 minutes ago, petermik said:

Same as you pay for anything over here...Thai Baht....or is that too difficult to understand?

where do i pay the Thai baht, you said pay for it, well with all your knowledge you will know the answer, do you understand this question to back up your post on 29/4

• Like 2