Where to buy an affordable 500GB internal SSD drive Online

connda

I want to replace my internal HDD drive in my Acer Aspire with an internal SSD drive.

I used Befixed in Maechok Plaza and the tech there quoted something like 2400 THB for a 500 GB SSD drive.  I'd get back to him but with Chiang Mai a Covid Dark-Red Zone, we're sort of avoiding CM until the "emergency" blows over.

I looked on Lazada for a 100mm x 70mm x 7mm SSD.  Their selection was terrible, they may display a SSD drive and say it comes in a half a dozen different sizes then quote some price without specifying the size of the drive, or they specify the size of the drive and want some ridiculous amount of money for it - and off-brands at that.  So, Lazada is out.

Anyone have a suggestion for a 100mm x 70mm x 7mm 500 GB SATA-3 SSD that con be bought online for a reasonable price?

Edited by connda

+1 for invaideIT.

The Samsung 870 EVO should suit you fine.

They have some slightly cheaper options which aren't too bad too. As someone said above, don't buy those unbranded things from eBay/lazada.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lazada does generally give you option to choose the model, like in example below:

image.thumb.png.46e7d3dc31b28c3f00e047997f2eacd0.png

Changing model (or capacity in above case) will be changing the price as well. This particular one is:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/ssd-sata-iii-500gb1tb-2tb-rmax-550-mbs-wmax-500-mbs-transcend-220q-3-i1540566080-s4103974218.html

This offer on WD Blue SSD for 2040 baht from IT City:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/wd-blue-500gb-sata3-ssd-25-3dnand-i2181596640-s7266328502.html

And highly recommended Samsung 870 EVO from Legend Computer (highly recommended shop as well) for 2,299 baht:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/samsung-500gb-870-evo-sata3-25-ssd-i2067070587-s6746872901.html

Or their 2,299 baht SSD from Crucial:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/crucial-500gb-mx500-25-ssd-i171876997-s214829009.html

2 hours ago, connda said:

Anyone have a suggestion for a 100mm x 70mm x 7mm 500 GB SATA-3 SSD that con be bought online for a reasonable price?

Are these some special measurements or just the default SSD measurements?

What is the model number of the Acer Aspire?

I only ask as it may support an M.2 drive as well. (The hardware and firmware may well not support NVMe, so you may not get the peak performance, but it is still an option.)

6 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

What is the model number of the Acer Aspire?

I only ask as it may support an M.2 drive as well. (The hardware and firmware may well not support NVMe, so you may not get the peak performance, but it is still an option.)

This information was already given on the OP's other thread; together with a guide to fitting.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Sorry, you have discounted Lazada, I have the same machine and bought mine there with no prooblem.

The issue is the form factor which is 100mm by 70mm by 7mm.  It's not a 2.5 inch or an M.2.
The choices for that form factor, at least in the search I did, were slim pickin's and expensive.  I'm not saying they aren't out there, but my search terms aren't finding what I need  At a brick and motar store I can visually verify the size.  If I buy online, maybe its the right size and maybe not?  I've found the SSD product specs to be lacking.  If you could produce a link for me, I'll give ya a virtual handshake and lots of thanks! 

23 hours ago, expatjustice said:

You don't wanna cheap out on a SSD. 

Or you may end up with an SSD made out of SD Cards connected together. And you will end up with poorer performance than an HDD. These things have a price, and you have to pay what they are worth. If you cheap out, you will regret it.

image.png.94ac4f21912ede903a48dc1395c5045c.pngYou definitely dont want this!!

I compare my prices and brand to Amazon USA and recognize that there may be a custom's markup on drives like WD, Seagate, etc.  I'm not going to pay an arm and a leg in customs.  Plus my tech at Befix quoted me around 2400THB for a 500 GB SSD SATAIII, so that's kinda my benchmark.

15 minutes ago, connda said:

I compare my prices and brand to Amazon USA and recognize that there may be a custom's markup on drives like WD, Seagate, etc.  I'm not going to pay an arm and a leg in customs.  Plus my tech at Befix quoted me around 2400THB for a 500 GB SSD SATAIII, so that's kinda my benchmark.

If you buy anything on Amazon, isn't the custom charge included, and if they mark up you can refuse and get a full refund?

23 hours ago, wprime said:

+1 for invaideIT.

The Samsung 870 EVO should suit you fine.

They have some slightly cheaper options which aren't too bad too. As someone said above, don't buy those unbranded things from eBay/lazada.

Somebody set me straight as my hardware knowledge is rusty considering the last hardware I personally worked on were made by Sperry-Univac and were based on TTL logic and brand-spanking new chip tech to replace the transistors and the tubes, and we're good for shooting stuff out of the sky from a moving ship. 

A 2.5 inch drive is only giving one dimension. 
The physical dimensions of the Seagate HDD that is in my Laptop as three dimensions: 100mm by 70mm by 7mm without rubber spacers. 
A 2.5 inch drive (length? width?  is about 65mm) what are the other two dimensions?  Cause I don't know???

Ahhh!  There it is by golly.  Ok, finally a site that gives detailed specs.  Groovy.  Now I "get it."  So I guess that a "Form Factor" of 2.5 inch has the dimensions of

DIMENSION (WxHxD)  100 X 69.85 X 6.8 (mm).  Is that universal?  I need to understand that before I buy.  I really do not what to ship an SSD back because it's the wrong size.
Is that correct.  2.5FF = 100 X 69.85 X 6.8 (mm)?

1121215970_Screenshotfrom2021-05-0320-14-39.png.cf2f471f12bfd7510aebafad9e2d38c3.png

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, connda said:

Somebody set me straight as my hardware knowledge is rusty considering the last hardware I personally worked on were made by Sperry-Univac and were based on TTL logic and brand-spanking new chip tech to replace the transistors and the tubes, and we're good for shooting stuff out of the sky from a moving ship. 

A 2.5 inch drive is only giving one dimension. 
The physical dimensions of the Seagate HDD that is in my Laptop as three dimensions: 100mm by 70mm by 7mm without rubber spacers. 
A 2.5 inch drive (length? width?  is about 65mm) what are the other two dimensions?  Cause I don't know???

Ahhh!  There it is by golly.  Ok, finally a site that gives detailed specs.  Groovy.  Now I "get it."  So I guess that a "Form Factor" of 2.5 inch has the dimensions of

DIMENSION (WxHxD)  100 X 69.85 X 6.8 (mm).  Is that universal?  I need to understand that before I buy.  I really do not what to ship an SSD back because it's the wrong size.
Is that correct.  2.5FF = 100 X 69.85 X 6.8 (mm)?

1121215970_Screenshotfrom2021-05-0320-14-39.png.cf2f471f12bfd7510aebafad9e2d38c3.png

2.5" drives have a standard width and depth. The height can range from 7mm-15mm.

I'm pretty sure all consumer 2.5" ssds are 7mm and most laptops that still take 2.5" drives these days only support 7mm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, connda said:

Plus my tech at Befix quoted me around 2400THB for a 500 GB SSD SATAIII, so that's kinda my benchmark.

Plenty to choose from for around 2,000bht on Lazada, direct from WD store

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/wd-green-ssd-480gb-read-545mbs-sata-3-6gbs-wds480g2g0a-solid-state-drive-i1326270237-s3303438114.html

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, connda said:

The issue is the form factor which is 100mm by 70mm by 7mm.  It's not a 2.5 inch or an M.2.
The choices for that form factor, at least in the search I did, were slim pickin's and expensive.  I'm not saying they aren't out there, but my search terms aren't finding what I need  At a brick and motar store I can visually verify the size.  If I buy online, maybe its the right size and maybe not?  I've found the SSD product specs to be lacking.  If you could produce a link for me, I'll give ya a virtual handshake and lots of thanks! 

I have an Acer Aspire Laptop, the SSD I used is the same as detailed in the link provided by Britmantoo above .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

26 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I have an Acer Aspire Laptop, the SSD I used is the same as detailed in the link provided by Britmantoo above .

Excellent.  I've learned something plus received great info.
Thanks much all!  ????
I will be buying that WD SSD tomorrow.

2 hours ago, connda said:

Excellent.  I've learned something plus received great info.
Thanks much all!  ????
I will be buying that WD SSD tomorrow.

I have already learned something today.

Anyway, don't buy that WD Green SSD. You have been given the best recommendations already. Why on earth you would ignore them and choose as SSD at random I really cannot fathom.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, connda said:

Standard 2.5 " form factor. Most/all SSDs will fit.

The M.2 "slot" is on the MB; easily accessible - I'm reasonably confident your machine has an M.2 slot.

With an M.2 drive - you may even be able to get by with a 250/256 GB model - you can easily clone your old drive, then use your old drive as additional storage.

Some of the larger brand shops, like JIB and Banana has same day delivery, for a reasonable fee (~100 THB). I've had to use this a few times, usually get stuff within 4 hours.

• Like 2

On 5/3/2021 at 11:35 PM, Eindhoven said:

Don't even think about buying that. OP has been given much better recommendations on two threads now.

The OP is a big boy and can make his own decisions.  The WD Blue has been recommended by two individuals, one who has the same laptop as myself, plus your shopee.com suggestions are appreciated but given past reviews I'm not going to deal with shopee.  Western Digital isn't exactly an off-brand and the price is right for my needs and I prefer to buy from Lazada.  This isn't about you, it's about me.  But thanks.  It's ordered.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

The M.2 "slot" is on the MB; easily accessible - I'm reasonably confident your machine has an M.2 slot.

I took the laptop apart to get to the battery considering I bricked the laptop trying a recommended "fix" for a problem I was having.  Had to reset the BIOS by pulling the battery and draining the capacitor.  I'd rather not do that (remove 16 or so screws and pry open the case) just to get the the M.2 slot on the motherboard.  I'll be swapping out drives occasionally and prefer the easy access through the drive access bay.  One screw and Bob's Your Uncle.  Thanks for the reco all the same.  Appreciated.  I'm going with the 2.5in form factor.  ????