Single dose of AstraZeneca vaccine could result in 96.7% immunity in 4 weeks

snoop1130

21 hours ago, SmartyMarty said:

Is this a study he has done personally? If so was the AZ from overseas? I’m guessing yes as the study took several months to complete. How does it stack up compared to overseas studies. Seems a very high result at a time when positive PR about AZ is not common. 

21 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A study of 61 patients

Hardly a significant sample size.

21 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The study results were published by Dr. Yong Poovorawan, an expert virologist from Chulalongkorn University, on his private Facebook page.

There would be much more benefit in publishing his results in a peer reviewed journal for other scientists to scrutinize.

•  
  •  
  •  

Is this a study he has done personally? If so was the AZ from overseas? I’m guessing yes as the study took several months to complete. How does it stack up compared to overseas studies. Seems a very high result at a time when positive PR about AZ is not common. 

I agree, the comments from Dr. Yong need to be verified and, as mentioned, have they been referred to Astra Zenica.

I also wonder if he has broken some ethics by mentioning his 'research' about another entity's producsts.

I also have concern that his comments might encourage some folks to get 1 jab and forget the 2nd jab.

At the moment everything about Covid 19 and the vaccine is a mess, the local 'guru' has no basic let alone insightful knowledge of the subject and no capability to get it all back into a suitable structured approach.

How sad for the Thai population. 

Astra Zeneca was so good, it was banned in 18 countries and counting. How can you honestly state that this jab gives you 97 percent immunity and your test subjects were only 61 in number. What test did you use to determine if they had contacted the SARS-COV-2 virus  and if you used the PCR test, what cyles did you use? You are aware that the creator of the PCR test, Dr. Karry Mullis has openly stated that this test is NOT TO BE USED for diagnosis. What was the age range of your sample?? I think your statement is pretty feeble and most certainly not based on science. Thanks for nothing.

• Haha 1

There are now stories that Seychelles, the most vaccinated nation in the world, is encountering a surge in new infections. Their people were vaccinated with Sinopharm and AZ. Some of the new infected people had one dose and some had 2 doses. The AstraZeneca’s vaccine appears to be less effective against variant B.1.351 variant in a study, and South Africa halted plans to use it. Story is here:

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/world-s-most-vaccinated-nation-reintroduces-curbs-as-cases-surge-1.1599208

7 hours ago, Magenta408 said:

Astra Zeneca was so good, it was banned in 18 countries and counting. How can you honestly state that this jab gives you 97 percent immunity and your test subjects were only 61 in number. What test did you use to determine if they had contacted the SARS-COV-2 virus  and if you used the PCR test, what cyles did you use? You are aware that the creator of the PCR test, Dr. Karry Mullis has openly stated that this test is NOT TO BE USED for diagnosis. What was the age range of your sample?? I think your statement is pretty feeble and most certainly not based on science. Thanks for nothing.

Thailand is under licence to produce Astrazeneca locally.

So do you expect the good doctor to say something bad about their own product?

I take all these propaganda with a grain of salt.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

There are now stories that Seychelles, the most vaccinated nation in the world, is encountering a surge in new infections. Their people were vaccinated with Sinopharm and AZ. Some of the new infected people had one dose and some had 2 doses. The AstraZeneca’s vaccine appears to be less effective against variant B.1.351 variant in a study, and South Africa halted plans to use it. Story is here:

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/world-s-most-vaccinated-nation-reintroduces-curbs-as-cases-surge-1.1599208

I wouldn't read too much in these 'reports'. You also need to consider many factors such as whether that country is promoting a certain vaccine.

If a country promotes a certain vaccine, the results can be twisted. So take it with a pinch of salt.

From what I have heard on the news and have read, there are no vaccines that will make you immune to the COVID virus.

The vaccines will keep you from getting as sick or dying if you catch the virus.  Is the 96.7 percent, considered against dying from

the virus if you contact it 4 weeks after you have received your shot of the vaccine AZ?  Maybe this is just more

propaganda?

Geezer

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Happyman567 said:

America is doing very well with the vaccination, Thailand is going backwards with the vaccination  Why?  I see where Americans can soon travel to Europe. Here in Thailand you cant even travel to Laos LOL

Simply incredible what happened. It went from unfortunate farang trapped outside of Thailand to a total 180 and its now unfortunate farang trapped INSIDE of Thailand 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 11:33 AM, gearbox said:

Only 96.7% after only one jab? I was expecting 100% considering the ownership of the company which is going to produce AZ here ????

But you'll also get a free amulet that will cover the other 3.3 percent and a list of lucky lottery numbers.  And an air freshener to hang from your rear view mirror.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I sure hope he's not promoting Thais to only get one jab. 

Maybe not promoting it, but maybe just floating it now as an "idea"?

He may have some visibility into the infection trends and vaccine delivery schedule(s), and see that they may have to prolong "the plan" by ~ six-months?

Pure conjecture on my part because, well, we're provided very few facts.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

He may have some visibility into the infection trends and vaccine delivery schedule(s), and see that they may have to prolong "the plan" by ~ six-months?

Yeah.  It's all conjecture at this point as we don't really know enough about the virus, the jabs and the variants.  I think we're going to be in this mess for the next few years.  Especially since many countries won't really be rolling out mass jabs until next year.  Sucks.

An interesting read:

https://theconversation.com/3-doses-then-1-each-year-why-pfizer-not-astrazeneca-is-the-best-bet-for-the-long-haul-159137

But as time goes on, using the AstraZeneca shot isn’t the best long-term strategy.

One reason for this is what immunologists call “vector immunity”. The AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson vaccines use a viral vector, which is an inactivated (cannot replicate) form of a common type of virus called an “adenovirus”. They use this adenovirus as a delivery vehicle to get DNA into our cells to give them the instructions to develop immunity against the coronavirus. However, you can’t be repeatedly immunised with this type of vaccine because you’ll likely develop immunity to the adenovirus vector (the delivery vehicle) itself. When that happens your immune system interferes with the delivery vehicle getting into your cells and the effectiveness of these vaccines would erode over time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/3/2021 at 10:11 PM, sammieuk1 said:

A double dose of AZ gets you 14 days ASQ the same as no vaccine Dr google Yong????

Yep and that's what many people who want to come to Thailand and are already on the fence about vaccine are going to think. 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 7:20 PM, snoop1130 said:

The study results were published by Dr. Yong Poovorawan, an expert virologist from Chulalongkorn University, on his private Facebook page.

All anyone needs to know!

On 5/6/2021 at 1:36 AM, Banana7 said:

Here are two articles from New England Journal of Medicine on efficacy of AZ vaccine against the South African variant B.1.351:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2103931

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2102214

From the first article: "In the trial by Madhi et al.,5 two doses of the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccine conferred no efficacy."

It seems like the AZ vaccine needs to be urgently upgraded.

• Sad 1

On 5/6/2021 at 3:17 AM, Stargrazer9889 said:

From what I have heard on the news and have read, there are no vaccines that will make you immune to the COVID virus.

The vaccines will keep you from getting as sick or dying if you catch the virus.  Is the 96.7 percent, considered against dying from

the virus if you contact it 4 weeks after you have received your shot of the vaccine AZ?  Maybe this is just more

propaganda?

Geezer

Some are better than others. The 96.7% must refer to trials based on the original strain.

On 5/6/2021 at 6:54 AM, mtls2005 said:

It would make sense to have a window of 3 months between jabs and in the meantime upgrade the vaccine for the second jab.

3 hours ago, placnx said:

Here are two articles from New England Journal of Medicine on efficacy of AZ vaccine against the South African variant B.1.351:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2103931

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2102214

From the first article: "In the trial by Madhi et al.,5 two doses of the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccine conferred no efficacy."

It seems like the AZ vaccine needs to be urgently upgraded.

"conferred no efficacy".....you omitted........ "against mild-to-moderate disease"

1 hour ago, LosLobo said:

"conferred no efficacy".....you omitted........ "against mild-to-moderate disease"

Fine, but we need to stop Covid, so neutralizing antibodies are the endpoint, to avoid infection, not keeping people from getting mildly sick, since they can infect others.

• Like 1