Single dose of AstraZeneca vaccine could result in 96.7% immunity in 4 weeks

snoop1130

Is this a study he has done personally? If so was the AZ from overseas? I’m guessing yes as the study took several months to complete. How does it stack up compared to overseas studies. Seems a very high result at a time when positive PR about AZ is not common. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, DJBenz said:

Hardly a significant sample size.

There would be much more benefit in publishing his results in a peer reviewed journal for other scientists to scrutinize.

A lot depends on how many people were given the AZ vaccine and in what time period.

52 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

A study of 61 patients shows that people who received the first dose of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine have achieved 96.7% immunity within a month, compared to those who had recovered from the disease for 1-2 months, who have 92.4% immunity.

Confusing, first they start talking about the below:

"CoronaVac vaccine, developed by China’s Sinovac firm, at a makeshift clinic at Saeng Thip sports ground in Bangkok on April 7, 2021". 

Then they start talking about the above.

I thought AZ wasn't available till the 7th of June 2021 ?

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Haha 1

I would question the validity of this research. For n=61 when you constrain that all people counts have to be whole numbers, the only possible results he could get if he did his study properly (as in used a control group to estimate expected infections in the vaccinated group had they not been vaccinated) are:

Vaccinated group=60

Unvaccinated control group=1

Number infected in control group=1

Expected number of infected in vaccinated group=60

Infected number in vaccinated group=2

Immunity=96.7%

and

Vaccinated group=30

Unvaccinated control group=31

Number infected in control group=31

Expected number of infected in vaccinated group=30

Infected number in vaccinated group=1

Immunity=96.7%

Both are trivial cases where everyone in the control group got infected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

very small sample size / composition and no peer review paper but consistent with final USA FDA AZ trials giving in fact 100% protection from Death & Hospitalization......plus UK Approved ..... that’ll do for me ...... but only if my dose made in western country.... now where is my private hospital notice to attend for AZ ( Europe)  Vax ?

59 minutes ago, SmartyMarty said:

Is this a study he has done personally? If so was the AZ from overseas? I’m guessing yes as the study took several months to complete. How does it stack up compared to overseas studies. Seems a very high result at a time when positive PR about AZ is not common. 

It seems to match the results I've seen elsewhere but in a single figure. The efficacy varies depending on age, gender ect. The Astrazeneca site says 100% effective against severe or critical disease or hospitalisation and slightly lower against lesser symptoms. 

4 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

very small sample size / composition and no peer review paper but consistent with final USA FDA AZ trials giving in fact 100% protection from Death & Hospitalization......plus UK Approved ..... that’ll do for me ...... but only if my dose made in western country.... now where is my private hospital notice to attend for AZ ( Europe)  Vax ?

Not consistent with existing research. The claim in the article is 96.7% immunity after 1 dose. See here:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)00432-3/fulltext

This larger study only found 76% immunity after 1 dose.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wprime said:

I would question the validity of this research. For n=61 when you constrain that all people counts have to be whole numbers, the only possible results he could get if he did his study properly (as in used a control group to estimate expected infections in the vaccinated group had they not been vaccinated) are:

Vaccinated group=60

Unvaccinated control group=1

Number infected in control group=1

Expected number of infected in vaccinated group=60

Infected number in vaccinated group=2

Immunity=96.7%

and

Vaccinated group=30

Unvaccinated control group=31

Number infected in control group=31

Expected number of infected in vaccinated group=30

Infected number in vaccinated group=1

Immunity=96.7%

Both are trivial cases where everyone in the control group got infected.

It does nto sound like they were measured infections, would have needed a vastly larger sample to do that (and such has already been done ,with tens of thousands of subjects).

It sounds like what they did was measure the presence of circulating antibodies in opeopek with the vaccine and peopelk recovering from COVID.

Of course antibody response was already extensively tested and documented in the earlier phase of vaccine development. Why they felt the need to do a small study here, I don't know.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It does nto sound like they were measured infections, would have needed a vastly larger sample to do that (and such has already been done ,with tens of thousands of subjects).

It sounds like what they did was measure the presence of circulating antibodies in opeopek with the vaccine and peopelk recovering from COVID.

Of course antibody response was already extensively tested and documented in the earlier phase of vaccine development. Why they felt the need to do a small study here, I don't know.

You're probably right, I hadn't thought of it that way.

20 minutes ago, Patong2021 said:

Evidence from EU  shows that much of the negative social media and discussion of Oxford vaccine originates with Russian and Chinese sources.

I'm genuinely interested to see the source of this slur and what evidence (proof) they have on this. Can you provide links please?

I wonder if western nations that produce alternative vaccines have said anything negative about Sputnik and Sinovac?

I think most posters here are being a bit harsh on the doctor. How many Thai people are going to read peer-reviewed articles in the Lancet? What they're going to read is scare stories on social media about blood clots and the AstraZeneca vaccine being less effective than the Pfizer one. So the doctor is doing a public service in presenting research that Thai people can relate to and which also encourages them to have the vaccine. Good on him!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, in very simple term, 2 of those vaccinated persons were infected with Covid 19 after four weeks. No serious researcher would use results based on a sample of just 61 people.

Were these people all exposed to the virus or are the just random people who have had one vaccination? Despite figures being up, the virus is hardly rampant in Thailand.

Whatever, it doesn't seem to tie up with the original efficacy figures.

• Confused 1