Single dose of AstraZeneca vaccine could result in 96.7% immunity in 4 weeks

snoop1130

7 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A study of 61 patients shows that people who received the first dose of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine have achieved 96.7% immunity within a month, compared to those who had recovered from the disease for 1-2 months, who have 92.4% immunity.

Junk science.  That is a pathetic sample size which renders that "study" meaningless.  But!  Then Thailand can juke the numbers by only giving citizens one shot and then claiming Success!!!  I'd like to know who funded the study, although a uni-student could have put that size of a study together for a final's project. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Like these?

No, a real media outlet.

The advice is:

1) weigh the risks of blood clots with johnson & johnson and astrazeneca VS the risks of covid

OR

2) wait for an mRNA vaccine ie Pfizer or Moderna

Edited by covidiot
  • Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 8:16 AM, Tropicalevo said:

I do not understand why you say that. Three flights from Bangkok due in today.

We had guests arrive on Samui yesterday.

PCR test, QR code, temperature check and a form for recording health signs which is to be sent to a Line number every day.

We have more guests arriving today. They checked with the airlines and airports - same as above.

Mind you, things do change almost every day now.

Well all the flights are canceled today accept two. This was ferry passengers announced after we got back home around April 22nd. 

12 hours ago, SmartyMarty said:

Is this a study he has done personally? If so was the AZ from overseas? I’m guessing yes as the study took several months to complete. How does it stack up compared to overseas studies. Seems a very high result at a time when positive PR about AZ is not common. 

Don't believe the 'PR' from govts, especially EU govts'. Believe what the real experts tell you, then positive PR will be common.

"The DDC Director General Dr Opas Karnkawinpong says there are different goals in the vaccination program, from infection prevention, to the prevention of severe illness, and the prevention of death.

He said Sinovac’s vaccine may not have a 100% infection prevention efficacy, but the number is acceptable at more than 50%."

Source: Thailand-reassures-safety-and-effectiveness-of-chinese-made-sinovac-covid-19-vaccine

"The recent China’s Sinovac BioTech trial data reporting 50.4% efficiency does not “impact” Thailand’s plans to receive and administer vaccines for Covid-19 next month, according to director general of the Medical and Science Department Supakit Sirilak.

Questions have risen around the vaccine’s efficacy rate, which was originally reported as 78% in trails in Brazil, but recently downgraded to just over 50%."

Source: Trail-data-doesnt-impact-thailands-plans-to-use-sinovac-covid-19-vaccine

So a university professor posts something on his own Facebook page (undeniably one of the premier medical resources in the world), and someone actually gives it solid credence? It's bizarre. 

Edited by metisdead
Trolling video removed.

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A study of 61 patients shows that people who received the first dose of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine have achieved 96.7% immunity within a month,

96.7% immunity after only one jab within a month... sorry I find that hard to believe?

If true why the need for a 2nd jab?

• Like 1

The statistics aside, the good Doctor brings up an interesting argument. That is the country should focus on getting as many people jabbed with the first shot, regardless of supplies for the second shot. Essentially going with the UK vaccination strategy of 12 weeks apart for each shot with the AZ vaccine. 

Given the success of the vaccine rollout in the UK and the clear effectiveness of their strategy, it's certainly something to consider. 

2 minutes ago, Osthos said:

The statistics aside, the good Doctor brings up an interesting argument. That is the country should focus on getting as many people jabbed with the first shot, regardless of supplies for the second shot. Essentially going with the UK vaccination strategy of 12 weeks apart for each shot with the AZ vaccine. 

Given the success of the vaccine rollout in the UK and the clear effectiveness of their strategy, it's certainly something to consider. 

You're right its something to consider when they get the supplies rolling in but thats not till around June or so.

15 hours ago, sungod said:

I dont know Marty, at 100% effective against severe Covid I'd say that was quite positive PR!!!

Sinovac similarly has high efficacy against severe covid. The oftern 50% quoted is efficacy for mild disease. Efficacy drops with the severity of the disease. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thai Visa Member 999999 said:

You can't publish these results for the precise reason you stated.

They are premilinary results only. Not enough people have been vaccinated as yet, but I'm sure there will be long term studies of a larger sample. Still, these early results look promising. The lower immune response of the elderly is expected. 

4 hours ago, arick said:

We had guests arrive on Samui yesterday.

you have guests visiting?  Brave man that you are.  I tell them all to stay away from our house for now, including Thai family. 

14 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Doctors on the ground in India (not part of scientific studies) believe they are seeing patients who have already had 2 doses (vaccine not specified) and are requiring ICU treatment.  

I would like to see a link to that article, it's pretty significant 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

96.7% immunity after only one jab within a month... sorry I find that hard to believe?

If true why the need for a 2nd jab?

Maybe that's the plan, because they don't have enough vaccines. Convince everyone they only need one shot of AZ and officially reduce the dosage to one shot.

• Haha 1

Sounds like justification for a single dose strategy?

Has this study been published? Peer-reviewed?

Sersiously, the general Thai public is being showered with quite a bit of conflicting and confusing information re: the vaccine plan. IMO, the regime would be better off being honest with the public, rather than trying to confuse them.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rabas said:

Here is the study just posted on his facebook page an hour ago. You can use Google to translate. 

Dr. Yong AstraZenica study, facebook  .

Here is the primary data. It is based on the seroprevalence of antibodies as someone correctly suggested above.

อาจเป็นรูปภาพของ ข้อความ

Seems to me that he should have tested subjects for antibodies before vaccination. Previous infection plus a single dose could produce a much higher antibody titer than 2 doses.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, placnx said:

Seems to me that he should have tested subjects for antibodies before vaccination. Previous infection plus a single dose could produce a much higher antibody titer than 2 doses.

Excellent point.  But I think his main purpose is to counter local forces pushing Sinovac, so he posts his data on facebook, one big graph with 2  big columns. Even Anutin can see that. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DJBenz said:

Hardly a significant sample size.

There would be much more benefit in publishing his results in a peer reviewed journal for other scientists to scrutinize.

Absolutely.  The man is a jackass publishing misleading information with no credibility whatsoever who would be shot down immediately in a developed country. Unfortunately Thais will readiliy believe someone like this without question.

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Has this study been published? Peer-reviewed?

Sersiously, the general Thai public is being showered with quite a bit of conflicting and confusing information re: the vaccine plan. IMO, the regime would be better off being honest with the public, rather than trying to confuse them.

It's okay they just set-up a "fake news committee" the PM's in trouble now.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Or at least a 12 week between doses strategy like the UK. 12 weeks increased vaccine efficacy from 76% to 82% after the second dose. [Source]

It would give Thailand a chance to protect the majority of its population without initially needing two doses for everyone.

2 hours ago, rabas said:

Excellent point.  But I think his main purpose is to counter local forces pushing Sinovac, so he posts his data on facebook, one big graph with 2  big columns. Even Anutin can see that. 

I agree.