PM forbids food delivery firms from ramping up prices

webfact

1 hour ago, Walker88 said:

The major food delivery services charge the restaurant 30% and, at least initially, pay the driver 60 baht per delivery. So if you order 1000 baht of food, the restaurant sees 700 baht, the delivery company 240 baht, and the driver 60 baht.

I've always wondered how the take was divided...very interesting. So I guess I don't need to tip the driver extra...and when I eat in, I should ask for a 30% discount.

That's a pretty good sized piece of cheese for the driver...4 or 5 deliveries a day and they've done okay...anything more is gravy. I guess that's why there seems to be no shortage of drivers (and they don't have to join a moto-mafia taxi que to get work).

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 1

So he's putting his foot down.

"Forbid" is certainly an interesting look for a prime minister.

Normally he "orders" people to do something, or not do something. Forbid, sounds slightly more imperial.

1 minute ago, Walker88 said:

For some restaurants, the delivery services are loss leaders.....introduce customers to the venue or make sure inventory doesn't go bad and get wasted. Asking for a 30% discount when dining-in is like saying "you don't ever need to actually make a profit".

Drivers for the Big Two services make about 30,000 baht per month....provided they survive the traffic.

I would never do that...I want all my fav restos to survive and thrive so they can keep feeding me ☺ And again, that's a great salary for a job that requires little education and only capital expense is a used moto and a helmet.

No one is forcing anyone to use the delivery services. If you are unhappy you have other options;

-Go collect the order yourself.

- Hire someone else like a moto taxi driver (if one is willing to do it)

- Ask the shop why it does not have its own delivery service if the  service fee cost is so unfair.  

What some of you think is a fair fee is not. Consider the cost of establishing a call center, providing the website and support sourcing the drivers, building the distribution system and the general cost of running the delivery service. 

What I see is a lot  of people expecting that they should have a subsidized delivery service. 

If the shops can do better they have their  own delivery service like McDonald or KFC.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Patong2021 said:

No one is forcing anyone to use the delivery services. If you are unhappy you have other options;

-Go collect the order yourself.

- Hire someone else like a moto taxi driver (if one is willing to do it)

- Ask the shop why it does not have its own delivery service if the  service fee cost is so unfair.  

What some of you think is a fair fee is not. Consider the cost of establishing a call center, providing the website and support sourcing the drivers, building the distribution system and the general cost of running the delivery service. 

What I see is a lot  of people expecting that they should have a subsidized delivery service. 

If the shops can do better they have their  own delivery service like McDonald or KFC.

It's marketing, and first to market creates a kind of barrier to entry and allows a tacit monopoly or oligopoly. Equivalent are Amazon and Facebook.

There's not much involved other than coding. Margins are huge for Foodpanda and Grab. Individual shops don't have the visibility that being an established delivery player brings, so setting up an in-house delivery service is limited. Macs and KFC could do that, but non franchise venues cannot.

Some venues double their prices on Foodpanda and Grab to cover what those places charge. The consumer picks that up.

The market is still young, however. New entrants will cut into the 30% and drive it down so that restaurants can survive. Grab is now facing Bolt and others in transport; they will soon face competition in food delivery, and their golden days of gouging restaurants will end.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, webfact said:

the Ministry of Commerce and related agencies were ensuring that sharp practices and profiteering during the pandemic were not allowed by businesses. 

Well, sharp practices and profiteering are only allowed at the tippity-tippity top where monopolies take root, grow, and thrive in the rarefied air breathed not by the common-folk and plebeians.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I thought that was the standard way of doing business here.

regards worgeordie

...isn't greed a wonderful thing..they thrive on it...too bad for 'pee nongs' ..and all the other 'nongs'...rip em off too!

Edited by tandor
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Are farang like me also his pee nong (brothers and sisters)? And I usually see app delivery charges of 9- 10 baht...ridiculously cheap so I always give the driver 20-50 extra depending on distance.

I really wouldn't be so concerned about their income. Place i work offered voluntary redundancies and 2 guys who work with food panda part time in the evenings jumped at the chance. Both were getting around 25k salary at work. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

PM's office spokeswoman Rachada Thanadirek said that prime minister Prayuth Chan-ocha cares passionately about the people and has not been idle in putting into place measures for their benefit.

Yeh OK then if you say so. The only person he cares **Passionately* about is himself IMO

• Like 1