Trying to upgrade MBPro to Big Sur. Not enough space

jack71

We have a MBP and just tried an update. Now its saying 'There isnt enough free space on the selected volume to upgrad the OS. An additional 29.92 gb is required. '

Whats the solution to this?

thanks

1 hour ago, jack71 said:

We have a MBP and just tried an update. Now its saying 'There isnt enough free space on the selected volume to upgrad the OS. An additional 29.92 gb is required. '

Whats the solution to this?

Is that a serious question?

assuming that it is delete programs like garage band, numbers, pages, (Apple programs) etc until you have enough space. I chose those because you can just download them again. If that’s not enough then delete big data files after backing them up onto an external storage medium.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 1:11 PM, Eindhoven said:

Back up to iCloud, run a clean install, retrieve from iCloud? 

https://www.macworld.co.uk/news/macos-big-sur-bricks-older-macbook-pro-models-3798046/

Not great idea if he has say 2 TB of data and slow internet. iCloud storage is limited unless he's willing to pay up for premium subscription as well.

7 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The OP has never said how big his drive is. Just that it is 30gb too small but I agree that a clean install isn’t a good idea and that backing up everything  to the cloud isn’t generally a good idea. 

First of all it was tomazbodner who suggested it might be a 128 GB model; so why in his very next post is he writing about 2 TB of data?

You guys are too smart even for yourselves.

Secondly, I don't care whether you think a clean install is not a good idea or whether you think backing up to iCloud is not a good idea. It works; that what makes the difference.

Do you actually utilise Apple products on a daily basis? If you don't then I would suggest you find another thread.. Backing up to iCloud is what works. 

They can subscribe for a single month; back up, clean install and then allow iCloud to repopulate. Cheaper than even buying a USB Flash drive. It's US$3 for 200 GB.

You guys are amazing...

• Like 1

Some posts with snide and insulting comments toward other members have been removed. Members are asking for advice or sharing their information in this topic, if you are not willing or not able to offer some helpful advice without posting snide or insulting remarks, don't bother posting.