Why can't the Embassy vaccinate British people in Thailand?

7 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

The vaccination programme in the UK is still ongoing and has been for months (8 I think?). In Thailand it's been going for 3? It may be slower here but its ongoing. That's one of the things we have to accept living in a developing nation.

I am a Brit (in Bangkok) and have received my first dose of AZ from the Thai system free of charge and the majority of my fellow Brit friends here have too. To continue to say the Thais refuse to vaccinate foreigners until Thais are vaccinated is simply a lie. The UK did not vaccinate everyone overnight, indeed it's still vaccinating those at home, so why would we expect Thailand to?

It's not that there's an official Thai policy to vaccinate foreigners last.In fact the official policy is to provide fair and equal treatment.The problem however is that in practical terms this isn't working out.That's fact not a subject for debate.

Congratulations to you and all your friends on receiving the first AZ dose.However that's not the general experience for foreigners.Since you (and your friends) have all been successful perhaps you would let us know exactly how this was achieved.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

I am a Brit (in Bangkok) and have received my first dose of AZ from the Thai system free of charge and the majority of my fellow Brit friends here have too. 

Well lucky you, I assume you and you're friends are like me and in the vulnerable group, but unlike me you've managed to get vaccinated, whilst I've been having my appointment pushed back for some weeks now.

A friend of mine in Bangkok managed to get vaccinated, not because he's in a vulnerable group, he's way outside, but because a friend was able to source some at short notice. For the avoidance of doubt I am not critical of Clive for seizing the opportunity of jumping the queue, I'd have done the same myself.

Likewise I'm not critical of you or your friends, envious yes, but as you say not all those who are considered vulnerable can be vaccinated at the same time.

2 hours ago, jayboy said:

Since you (and your friends) have all been successful perhaps you would let us know exactly how this was achieved.

All using the Thailandintervac registration, all over 60 (I am 74) and a host of other medical conditions nobody wants between us. As I posted in another thread for the over 60s, of the 3 hospitals giving it, the one I was at was doing about 150 foreigners an hour. If its the same at the others then nearly 500 people (foreign) an hour. I think we have to assume that as the vaccines come in and the what I presume is the current ThaIntervac backlog is cleared then it will reopen for registration again (hopefully).

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

I registered on the 7th of June on ThaiIntervac. I could not choose an appointment date as there were none shown in the calendar box.

On June 8th I logged back in and chose an appointment date - the 23rd
On 22nd I had an email from DDC confirming my appointment was approved
On 23rd I went to the hospital concerned (one of the 3 named hospitals for Bangkok on the interval site) and the whole process took about 2 hours.

There were lots and lots of people (all foreigners) there, so many they had to stop people coming up the elevator as it was crowded and no seating was left.
You get a number which you keep throughout the process and based on that I would say they were doing about 150 an hour. The staff were working at breakneck speed and had it all well worked out and under control as they checked you and moved you through the various stations.
Everyone one was foreign and it was full. Not all were over 60 though, that was very obvious. I would say about 30/40 percent looked over 60 (criteria was over 60 or having a listed condition). Nobody checked my documents proving my conditions but as my passport shows my age that could have been just me. I don't know but some were quite young. Maybe WP holders, teachers, and the like as I think they have their own avenue of registration.
At the end of the processing and checking there were 4 vaccination stations, 3 for AZ and 1 Sinovac so I assume 3 times as many were getting AZ. 

If I were to say anything negative about the experience its that I don't think sufficient care has been taken to target the older/infirm through the medical system. My hospital gave me an extensive document and a cover letter to prove the need for me have the vaccine but it was not looked at. I think hospitals (including private) should have required to register their patients needing priority. Right now the criteria seems to be just getting on the intervac site as soon as it opens again. 

Thank you for this excellent report.The mystery remains how Intervac  - when the site was operational -worked well for some but not for many others.I don't think it's just a question of persistence because I have computer savvy friends who tried several times a day without success. Anyway that's all historic now and I agree the conclusion in your final sentence.

On 6/28/2021 at 7:38 AM, MRToMRT said:

To continue to say the Thais refuse to vaccinate foreigners until Thais are vaccinated is simply a lie.

It is not a lie. I have been refused registration, let alone vaccination, three times now, most recently after you made this post. The very specific reason, in every case, is that "you are foreigner"!

If we are in the ball game of identifying lies, or perhaps more charitably, questioning the exact veracity of statements; perhaps we should raise the question of the " matter of urgency" with which the matter is being persued by the British Embassy. That claim was made on this forum in early May. When registration was started and I was initially refused in early June I wrote (email) to the Embassy. The reply (from London) told me that the British Embassy could not provide vaccinations ( I know and didn't ask for that) and that I should go through the Thai health system. 

A month later, still being refused " because you are foreigner", and not a peep from our Embassy. My Chihouhas have a better concept of "urgency" as supper time approaches!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

It is not a lie. I have been refused registration, let alone vaccination, three times now, most recently after you made this post. The very specific reason, in every case, is that "you are foreigner"!

Exactly the same response that I had from the local registration offices in Pattaya schools

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...