Why can't the Embassy vaccinate British people in Thailand?

14 hours ago, jayboy said:

This is of course the huge gap between what the PM assured the British Ambassador on equal access and the reality being experienced by local Brits.I'm referring of course to the vaccine rollout.

I'm from the UK and have an appointment to receive my AZ vaccine next week 7 June.

I have no idea if the assurances given by the PM to our Ambassador had any part of that, I like to think so, but even if not I'm grateful - I just hope that doesn't come back to bite me in the backside.

Good post jayboy, I suspect your views are how the majority of us feel.

On 5/8/2021 at 3:23 PM, Thomas J said:

One thing is for sure, you have the best and the brightest minds of all the governments around the world. 

what?  How did you ever come to that conclusion? 

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

what?  How did you ever come to that conclusion

Did you read the rest of the post.  I said that they would decide on the best solution and then try every conceivable alternative first.  

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, British Consular Team said:

Thank you for your suggestion for more regular updates about vaccinations programme in Thailand. To ensure that you are as informed as possible, you can sign up for our vaccines bulletin.

More details in this post:

As others have reported, the reply is that this e-mail address is nothing to do with vaccines

It is important not to panic. 

Mass vaccination is being pushed as never before, silencing and ridiculing every sceptical thought and banning treatment.

I would count to 100 before jumping off the cliff.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, rbkk said:

The French have announced vaccine help for their nationals living in Thailand. Will the British Embassy take a look again at their stance?

I don't think it's a stance by the British Embassy here in Thailand or indeed our Embassies worldwide, I'm pretty sure it's a policy of the UK Government.

Maybe some of the 100 million doses that Boris Johnson has pledged to donate worldwide will find their way here.

9 hours ago, rbkk said:

The French have announced vaccine help for their nationals living in Thailand. Will the British Embassy take a look again at their stance?

What help?

Are they opening vaccination centres for French only ?

Sounds like similar wording to the Chinese help .................................... they donated 1m doses with registered Chinese citizens being able to queue jump.

2 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

What help?

Are they opening vaccination centres for French only ?

Sounds like similar wording to the Chinese help .................................... they donated 1m doses with registered Chinese citizens being able to queue jump.

Screenshot_2021-06-11-15-02-09-143_com.twitter.android.thumb.jpg.dbcd70952abb4793119b69fd9a4f038b.jpg

France to supply, this month, 10.000 doses of J&J vaccine to French Nationals 45years old and up. 

Edited by rbkk

5 hours ago, theoldgit said:

I don't think it's a stance by the British Embassy here in Thailand or indeed our Embassies worldwide, I'm pretty sure it's a policy of the UK Government.

Maybe some of the 100 million doses that Boris Johnson has pledged to donate worldwide will find their way here.

The French help is for later this month. The UK Govt pledge is for next year.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

So, the Thai government............not the French?

You have something better than a Khaosod tweet?

How about a report in page 2 of today's Bangkok Post? Approval from Anutin, so could possibly be countermanded by Prayut.????. You can check the online version of the BP.

Edited by champers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, champers said:

How about a report in page 2 of today's Bangkok Post? Approval from Anutin, so could possibly be countermanded by Prayut.????. You can check the online version of the BP.

Thanks - and yes, there is more substance to that report.

Slight semantics on my part as I maintained that embassies can do nothing to arrange a vaccination programme for their overseas citizens...... that is the role of the host government (who are the only body that can procure vaccines).

What the Chinese did (and what the French appear to be doing) is to donate vaccines for use by it's registered citizens. The practicality of how that will work intrigues me.

Could the British government do the same?  I guess there is no reason, in theory at least, why they could not

Let's not forget 'His excellency' Brian secured a reciprocal agreement where Thais are treated exactly the same as anyone else in the UK and can get vaccine based on age or medical requirements, and in Thailand UK citizens still have next to no luck in registering for a vaccine, let alone get one! 

Well done Brian!

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

The fact the French are able to do this shows there is no barrier from Thai authorities or logistical or practical barrier.

What it suggest HMG and its representatives all vaxxed at taxpayers expense are prepared to sacrifice at risk elederly citizens for what to save money ?

Many nations permit passport renewal online UK requires for many 2 risky trips to a city during an epidemic.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2021 at 9:14 AM, Tony M said:

If, as is being reported in various forums, it requires a Thai ID number to register for a vaccination, then how is this equal access to vaccines for all living in Thailand ? If a Thai ID is not required in order to register, then why are non-Thai nationals unable to do so ? 

I should say that I have not personally tried to register, but I rely on reported attempts by others.

I personally know of many expats that have been able to register. This is in both Buriram and Surin provinces. They have not required an ID number. I guess they used their passport but cannot confirm this. I also know personally of around 20 expats that have received a vaccine.

• Like 2

There is a lot of pontificating about the Brit embassy etc......but the Chinese did it for their citizens here.....and now the French will do it for their citizens.

come on Britain, the USA, and the Aussies. Take some positive action. Think of all the good press you will get in the UK.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mansell said:

There is a lot of pontificating about the Brit embassy etc......but the Chinese did it for their citizens here.....and now the French will do it for their citizens.

come on Britain, the USA, and the Aussies. Take some positive action. Think of all the good press you will get in the UK.

British government would rather get better press by giving away aid money (our taxes) to third world countries from which terrorists may wish to travel to the UK to harm British people. 

Edited by soi3eddie

4 hours ago, puchooay said:

I personally know of many expats that have been able to register. This is in both Buriram and Surin provinces. They have not required an ID number. I guess they used their passport but cannot confirm this. I also know personally of around 20 expats that have received a vaccine.

So you're quoting a post from 6 weeks ago ?   Things have moved on.  So are you saying that you don't know anyone who has not been able to register ?  We know that some ex-pats have been able to register. What's your point ?  And, what vaccine did you get ?

13 hours ago, Tony M said:

It must surely be becoming more difficult to justify the British Govt's inaction on this. All we have seen, or heard, is that there was a single meeting between the Ambassador and the Thai Prime Minister. At which meeting, the Thai PM stated that non-Thais would receive equal treatment to Thais. That is clearly not happening, and all statements from the Thai govt seem to mention such things as "when 70% of all Thais have been vaccinated".  It's like we non-Thais don't exist.  It's still difficult, if not impossible to register for any vaccine, either in short term or long term. My concern, or one of my many concerns, is that once 70% of Thais have been vaccinated, then the country will be thrown open to all who wish to come, and many of us (and the perception is that it that there will be many non-Thais) will still not be vaccinated.  It seems that the earliest that many of us will be able to receive vaccinations is October, and that is if the vaccines arrive. By that time, the Thai govt want Thailand open to all, and many of us will still be, it seems, unvaccinated.

The French govt recognises, and is reacting to, the current situation (that there is no vaccine or registration for non-Thais, or very little of either). I would hope that The British government is also considering it. We are aware that you, the staff at the Embassy have been vaccinated, so it seems clear that you can get the vaccine into Thailand. And presumably, you were able to find somewhere to also get it into your staff.  You have explained that the FCO has a duty of care to it's staff, even to non-British staff at the Embassy and (I understand) even to staff and non-British staff at the British Council. What you haven't explained is why the FCO, representing the British government, doesn't have any duty of care to it's citizens overseas who are at risk. I, like many of us outside the UK, do understand the "restrictions" that Embassies have to work to. But we are in the middle of a global pandemic (excuse the tautology !). When does that become something that the British government has to, even reluctantly, address ? Or doesn't it ? 

I think that most of us, if not all of us, are not asking for the Embassy to pay for vaccine or fly us home. Personally, all I'm asking is for the British Govt, and that is you, to quickly get some vaccine into Thailand, to a hospital or clinic, and let us have vaccinations that may save our lives. 

Thanks for that, Tony, that's it in a nutshell. I would emphasise your last point, that I don't expect the British (or the Thai) Government to pay for my vaccines.

Thus far my efforts to get a vaccine have resulted in (a) a promise by the Bangkok-Rayong Hospital to add my email address to the list for notification when there is any news - heard nothing since (b) enrolment on the Rayong Province website for vaccination (for my wife also) at the local Banchang Hospital - again, heard nothing since. And then there's (c) the thaiintervac joke, on which I did manage to enrol, but that's vanished like the South Sea Bubble.

The French are perhaps fortunate that they have a President facing an election with popularity ratings at such a historical low that he is desperate for votes anywhere he can get them, even in Thailand. We have a Government that doesn't need to court popularity at the moment, and of course on so many matters we expats are always treated like second class citizens worthy of less consideration than the riff-raff ferried across the Channel every day by the organisation of which we were once proud to be members.

It's quite reasonable to argue that a portion of the 100million doses which Johnson has promised to send overseas should be devoted to British expats, and I hope the Embassy will make make representations to that effect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eff1n2ret said:

Thanks for that, Tony, that's it in a nutshell. I would emphasise your last point, that I don't expect the British (or the Thai) Government to pay for my vaccines.

Thus far my efforts to get a vaccine have resulted in (a) a promise by the Bangkok-Rayong Hospital to add my email address to the list for notification when there is any news - heard nothing since (b) enrolment on the Rayong Province website for vaccination (for my wife also) at the local Banchang Hospital - again, heard nothing since. And then there's (c) the thaiintervac joke, on which I did manage to enrol, but that's vanished like the South Sea Bubble.

The French are perhaps fortunate that they have a President facing an election with popularity ratings at such a historical low that he is desperate for votes anywhere he can get them, even in Thailand. We have a Government that doesn't need to court popularity at the moment, and of course on so many matters we expats are always treated like second class citizens worthy of less consideration than the riff-raff ferried across the Channel every day by the organisation of which we were once proud to be members.

It's quite reasonable to argue that a portion of the 100million doses which Johnson has promised to send overseas should be devoted to British expats, and I hope the Embassy will make make representations to that effect.

It's good to see you are still reading, and responding !  I think we got out at the right time !  I see they are advertising for a massive staff intake now !

I'm hoping that the Embassy might respond, as they must have some awareness of the expat community's frustration (especially as we see France actually doing something for their tax-paying, albeit overseas, citizens).  

Stay safe my friend.