A shot in the arm: foreign residents and their eligibility for a jab

webfact

10 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Are you seriously suggesting that the Embassies of every country represented in Thailand should provide vaccinations for any citizens of their country residing here.?

Also by default should they do the same in other countries where their citizens don't get free health care.?

Let's just say when Australia provides Thailand with $2.8 million or $68 million baht towards it's vaccination program, do you really think it would be hard to make it a condition to vaccinate all Ozzies in Thailand, doubt that would even reach $100K, but nope, here you go guys, spend up big, don't worry about our citizens, they can go and fark themselves, because they left Australia.

That's basically it in a nutshell.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, fittobethaied said:

Typical for Thailand....they always cut off their nose to spite their own face. I see it day in and day out. Employees treating customers badly, not realizing or caring that by treating one customer poorly they have forever lost all the potential referrals that customer could have brought them for additional revenue. It's all part of this destructive mindset to think "in the moment" with no regard for the future and the consequences of their actions. 

It's anchored deeply in the genes and the educational system just sucks. However, those who are smarter than the avererage Somchai or Janjiora and enjoyed a Western education, are completely different. And most of the times successful in life. But his is not in the Government's interest.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

You sure about that...???????? 128,000 deaths...???????? 303? (https://g.co/kgs/R1X57y

You sure about that? You can post all the links you want but anyone that has spent time in Thailand and with half a brain knows that any figures put out regard anything where face is at play should be taken with a huge pinch of salt. Reality is nobody knows the figure because a, there is no means to know and b, nobody wants to know. You’re naive number x100 is more likely. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

You sure about that? You can post all the links you want but anyone that has spent time in Thailand and with half a brain knows that any figures put out regard anything where face is at play should be taken with a huge pinch of salt. Reality is nobody knows the figure because a, there is no means to know and b, nobody wants to know. You’re naive number x100 is more likely. 

What if one has a whole brain, and has spent over 20 years in Thailand? 

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Might find they are barred from going back home to get a vaccination until they actually get a vaccination !

I  have to transit through France and  will require that I reckon, if  I ever get back on a  plane  again.

7 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

You think they're have been 30,000 covid deaths in Thailand? 

Oh dear. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

I  have to transit through France and  will require that I reckon, if  I ever get back on a  plane  again.

Why do you have to go through France?

Just wait a month or two and save $5,000 in travel costs. 

My neighbour works as administrator in a private hospital and says foreigners or Thais should get vaccines next month. 

I really can't see what all the fuss is about: some people are developing cabin fever. 

• Like 1

Just now, Neeranam said:

Why do you have to go through France?

Just wait a month or two and save $5,000 in travel costs. 

My neighbour works as administrator in a private hospital and says foreigners or Thais should get vaccines next month. 

I really can't see what all the fuss is about: some people are developing cabin fever. 

Bought and paid for the ticket 18  months  ago, and its  the only  route  available to get me to my final destination, a small   airport.

• Like 1

My government just gave 68 million bt to Thailand to treat Covid. That amount would have easily vaccinated its Expats and even well lined the pockets of those elite who get to decide if they have any future...

It's really a sad thing that so many Thai people and government people are demanding expats pay for the vaccine. Here in the UK millions of EU citizens have been vaccinated, no questions asked If they live here they are entitled to it. I suppose many will pay up and not care too much about it, and I suppose that's fine for a quiet life, but it's the thought of how nasty and vindictive the Thai people are being on this issue. We want you to spend your money here, but don't expect anything from us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, fittobethaied said:

Typical for Thailand....they always cut off their nose to spite their own face. I see it day in and day out. Employees treating customers badly, not realizing or caring that by treating one customer poorly they have forever lost all the potential referrals that customer could have brought them for additional revenue. It's all part of this destructive mindset to think "in the moment" with no regard for the future and the consequences of their actions. 

Very well put & I couldn't agree more.  I was in a local hardware store the other day where I asked for some cement board, a worker barked out loudly to me (3 times) "YOU...COME HERE" in an increasingly aggressive manner (he wanted me to follow him to the yard).  I ignored his demands, just smiled & walked out...but not before glancing over to the store owner (who I've known for about 18 years), who was grinning like a Cheshire cat ????.  I would like to add however that I really don't blame the employees as they are so often uneducated & under-paid with little to no job training so have no incentive at all.  The managers / owners on the other hand have no such excuse ????. As you said, Typical, & unlikely to change any time soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rocky123 said:

The mainstream media are doing a great job "injecting" fear into all the sheeple. Why would anyone get injected by an untested fluid (research the ingredients) for a virus 99.95% curable in the under 80 year olds. You have an immune system people. Always ask questions, trust nobody. ????

30% of COVID - infected people in Australia are experiencing lung damage that takes months of rehabilitation.

I don't trust your information 99.95% is curable. Immune systems only work against threats they have experienced before, ergo vaccines.

I'm asking you a question. Where is a link to an authoritative source that supports the figure you have posted?

Thais are not getting vaccinated at much of a pace either, so there really isn't much for farangs to complain about at this moment.  It's not a plot to discriminate against farangs - it's just chaotic all around. Vaccine distribution will shake out as more vaccine doses are landed in Thailand. Covid prevention and vaccination hasn't gone smoothly anywhere so little surprise things are far from perfect here. 

I'm grateful that Thai society did a lot better at controlling the spread than a lot of other places. Most farangs I know are happier to have weathered the pandemic here than at home. I think our best strategy is to stay as safe as we can and be patient for the situation to shake out. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

If you really believe your government cares about you, you are misguided.

I came from Australia, if I wish to return, I have to quarantine and pay for the 14 nights accommodation, so it's up to me.

When I left Australia, the legislation made it clear, i.e. once you are past 186 days out of the country and make Thailand your new abode, you will be classed as a non resident.

1)All income you make in Australia, if any will be taxed at 1/3rd, you will also pay tax from any overseas country if it is income based.

2) If you own a property you will pay 1/3rd tax on the rent and not be able to offset any repairs or costs or losses of any kind.

3) When you sell that property you will pay Capital Gains Tax of 42% from the day you purchased it. This legislation came into effect on 1 July 2019) after I had left.

4) You will not be able to vote.

5) You will have no rights to any Medicare benefits.

6) If you wish to receive the Old Age Pension, you must be in Australia at the starting pension age of 67, depending on your birthdate, as increases in 6 monthly increments to the age of 70, and if you are living outside of Australia and return to Australia after your 67th birthday to claim your Old Age Pension, you must wait for 2 years before you can receive your pension payments overseas.

7) The Australian government just donated $2.8 million (68 million baht) to Thailand's vaccination program, no conditions of subject to all Australian Citizens in Thailand being vaccinated, that in itself should tell you enough about my Government, not to mention the above.

When I was growing up in Australia, I always heard that Australia was the lucky country, make of that what you will.

To me the Australian government is nothing like any corporation you might have worked for, as soon as you leave, they are quick to cancel all things about you, passwords, access etc. It's as if to say we appreciated your service with us, all the best in your future endeavours.

Ouch , that hurts ! Old age security money and being held hostage ,so to speak !

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, henry213 said:

I'm not living in Thailand anymore because of this poop! left end of 2019 just before it all started, There are Thai's all over the world getting treated as they should as anyone else in a country, But good old Thailand NOT they don't like us at all, WE ARE POOP TO THEM........

Having the option to flip between UK and Thailand is beneficial to say the least although I appreciate that is not possible with many ex-pats living in Thailand. Whilst I agree with the above I think "Them" and "Us" needs a bit more definition. The majority of Thais are quite happy with foreigners and investments. Personally I think the ruling classes are terrified of western influence on the poorer, downtrodden Thai population and the reason they do everything they can to chastise us is they are rightly worried they will lose their power over the masses and with it, their wealth and influence.....The majority of Thai's are easily influenced by media, both "official" and social. I listen to the <deleted> my wife tells me that some politician or news channel has spouted out which is blatantly fake news or at the very best "twisted the truth" but they take it all in and discuss it amongst themselves until suddenly... it real......... it actually happened !! Its just controlling the masses and we are just another tool for doing that... It wont change until they have many more educated people as we are seeing with many of the students in Bangkok...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

There are a lot of hurdles, especially adminstration of the vaccines, but - and this will never happen - a country could make an offer to Thailand of five million doses, a portion of which (up to 20%) would be made available to ex-pats from the country. 

Why ?

5 hours ago, DLock said:

Private Hospitals will be able to buy from the Government way before the last Thai is ever vaccinated, and you will be able to get vaccinated with your choice of vaccine for a few dollars.

It's not worth getting that worked up over.

A Chinese virus vaccine in a Thai private hospital for a few dollars?????????????????????????????????????????

21 minutes ago, riclag said:

Ouch , that hurts ! Old age security money and being held hostage ,so to speak !

I have my plan, and I will, if it's still available, and I am alive and able, will return at age 67 to claim the old age pension, doubt I will return to live in Thailand after the 2 year period to receive it in Thailand, but being able to retire and live here in Thailand 12 years earlier than back home has been worth it for me.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, abrahamzvi said:

One other point which should be cleared in a binding fashion, is what the situation of the foreign residents who were successful in registering and getting a confirmed appointment for June, is.  Are such appointments now cancelled, or even worse, when turning up for the appointment, being sent away?

Agree, especially the after the non committal blurb from the CDC today, which is just a tad short on details:

706337072_Screenshot(237).png.001b47f297a54d498fe0e9cf896fd483.png

"While many Thais are talking about their Covid-19 vaccine choices, if indeed there are any, and vaccination schedules, a large number of expats have been left clueless as to whether they have access to vaccines and if so, which, when and how."

COVID-19 CHOICES?  The UK is doing extremely well with its mass vaccination policy. Yesterday, there was only 1 covid-related death and nearly 35 million have the first dose and nearly 16 million the second dose. I and one of my sons had the AZ, my wife had the Moderna, my other 2 sons had the Pfizer --NONE of us had a "CHOICE" -- we were given what was available -- no one in the UK has been given a "CHOICE"!

Over 40-year-olds are currently being vaccinated. The vaccination is free for all -- UK citizens, "foreigners", even illegal asylum-seekers! But none are given a "CHOICE"! The "figures" have come down dramatically -- only 2,144 new cases (? Indian visitors?) yesterday which is over a 12% reduction over the last 7 days.

7 hours ago, hotchilli said:

The UK embassy in Thailand is nothing does nothing and cares even less.

Allow me to correct that (based on personal experience) The UK embassy in Thailand anywhere in the world is nothing does nothing and cares even less.

But then as has been said, are they there to "aid and assist" Brits abroad or are they just trade missions?  I've always thought it the former, but I appear to be expecting too much.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chiang Mai Bill said:

"While many Thais are talking about their Covid-19 vaccine choices, if indeed there are any, and vaccination schedules, a large number of expats have been left clueless as to whether they have access to vaccines and if so, which, when and how."

COVID-19 CHOICES?  The UK is doing extremely well with its mass vaccination policy. Yesterday, there was only 1 covid-related death and nearly 35 million have the first dose and nearly 16 million the second dose. I and one of my sons had the AZ, my wife had the Moderna, my other 2 sons had the Pfizer --NONE of us had a "CHOICE" -- we were given what was available -- no one in the UK has been given a "CHOICE"!

Over 40-year-olds are currently being vaccinated. The vaccination is free for all -- UK citizens, "foreigners", even illegal asylum-seekers! But none are given a "CHOICE"! The "figures" have come down dramatically -- only 2,144 new cases (? Indian visitors?) yesterday which is over a 12% reduction over the last 7 days.

Now, we are vaccinating the over-30s! (But still no "CHOICE"!)

6 hours ago, micmichd said:

I've got a German passport (EU passport), but I'm not Germany's property. I don't care about Germany at all, so why should their embassy care about me? 

That's a valid point and your opinion, but if you spent your life living and working and paying taxes in Germany, don't you think you're entitled to something? Do you get a German State Pension, for example?  I'm not criticizing you as much as asking because i find your POV interesting.

6 hours ago, JRG23 said:

Britons living overseas should obtain the vaccine in their country of residence. They cannot arrange a vaccine in the UK from overseas.

https://www.william-russell.com/blog/getting-a-covid-vaccine-as-an-expat/#:~:text=Anyone who is returning to,in the UK from overseas.

Yes, I read that blurb on the UK Government website. It doesn't address how a UK citizen can get a vax in a country which isn't providing them.

6 hours ago, Harm Hendrik Reitsma said:

Sheer dumb to think the Embassy would burn their vingers on this!

They are not a medical institution and have no medics OR nurses, the only thing is that they can speak out to the Government. But that is all, don't put IT in their hands as they can't apply!

Have a good Day.

They seemed to manage quite well at applying vax to their staff, both British and Thai.

6 hours ago, Harm Hendrik Reitsma said:

5 hours ago, Brierley said:

It's not my call what is in their job description, what they will and will not do, it's down to the government of the day. But it's been this way for a very long time, most people just haven't understood that.

The British Embassy in Thailand is clearly a reflection of the level of importance attached by the UK government to its host country.

4 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Time the western embassies told Thailand that the move will be reciprocated.  

I suspect the Thai government might not be that bothered.

3 hours ago, connda said:

The issue is that in pretty much all Western countries minorities are not the object of government discrimination.  Should examples of discrimination surface, the government would be excoriated by the media and on social media by the country's citizens.

In Thailand minorities are the object of government discrimination.  Should example of discrimination surface, the government would be applauded by the media and on social media by the country's citizens.

That!  That is the difference between xenophobic countries and non-xenophobic countries.  In civilized nations, the nation's government does not single out racial minorities for exclusion if vaccine supplies are lagging.  They are treated as any citizen.  That includes every Thai in every Western nation who themselves may hold xenophobic views of foreigners in their own country.

Whilst I agree generally about xenophobia, and and certainly in the case of vax for all, the irony is being black in America is not a walk in the park, (without a bullet to the head). Being Asian has not been that much fun recently either, ("kung 'flu an' all). 

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

The information includes the option of going back to their own country if they do not want to wait in Thailand. But with the pandemic showing no real signs of abating, travelling remains difficult and the medical appointment processes in their own countries, not to mention the quarantine requirements they would face on their return, make this impractical not to mention expensive

Return home and not be allowed back!!!!

Aus has a ban on all foreign travel. Completely stupid and I must admit I have no idea when I will be vaccinated!

I have registered with private hospitals and with Thai authorities but to no avail. 

I have been told at 74 years of age that I MUST not get Sinovac and must get AstraZenica.

wait wait wait and see