A shot in the arm: foreign residents and their eligibility for a jab

webfact

1 hour ago, henry213 said:

I'm not living in Thailand anymore because of this poop! left end of 2019 just before it all started, There are Thai's all over the world getting treated as they should as anyone else in a country, But good old Thailand NOT they don't like us at all, WE ARE POOP TO THEM........

so, why are you still on this forum ? for me, you waste your time to stay here, go to forums who interest you 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cnx101 said:

Yes I was thinking the same but the embassies don’t care about their citizens, the British embassy anyway.

I've got a German passport (EU passport), but I'm not Germany's property. I don't care about Germany at all, so why should their embassy care about me? 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

You sure about that...???????? 128,000 deaths...???????? 303? (https://g.co/kgs/R1X57y)

If Thailand wasn't for you that's fine...but don't say it has anything to do with Covid, which wasn't even a thing when you left. It has been objectively worse for people in the UK than Thailand.

And if the UK was such a great choice (assuming you have a very fulfilling life there), why do you still follow and post on a Thailand focused internet forum?

To laugh at all the <deleted> you put up with. i spent the last 10 years with my Wife in Thailand because we both preferred it to the Nursing homes in the USA. i bought a 3 bedroom Townhouse, had a maid and nurses aid worked 24/7. My wife got to see her family and eat all her favorite foods. It was a bitch for me with the visas cause i had to return each year for my Medical issues. she passed in 2019 and i returned in 2020 for my grand daughters 1st Birthday. i got stuck here till May 2020 but returned and got my Pfizer shots in February. Brought over my 2nd wife and she got her shots in March. yes i am Happy now and doubt i will return to all the <deleted> in Thailand. Happy in Florida !!! Even have air conditioning in all rooms so i din't sweat and <deleted>, lol !!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, noosard said:
  22 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

You sure about that...???????? 128,000 deaths...???????? 303? (https://g.co/kgs/R1X57y)

If Thailand wasn't for you that's fine...but don't say it has anything to do with Covid, which wasn't even a thing when you left. It has been objectively worse for people in the UK than Thailand.

And if the UK was such a great choice (assuming you have a very fulfilling life there), why do you still follow and post on a Thailand focused internet forum?

Expand  

Dumb reply when you look at it

No pretty accurate

Expats will get vaccinated and it will be free

just wait your turn

I guess he thinks the UK has done a great job on the pandemic because they are having a successful vaccination program...AFTER 128K people died. (Hardly a surprise for an advanced high-income country...they're all more or less doing it.) I'll take 303 deaths and vaccines around the corner any day. 

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, micmichd said:

I've got a German passport (EU passport), but I'm not Germany's property. I don't care about Germany at all, so why should their embassy care about me? 

This is probably how how the embassy feels about you as well. Why are the embassies even there?  What is their purpose then?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bstafford214 said:

This is probably how how the embassy feels about you as well. Why are the embassies even there?  What is their purpose then?

They are trade missions primarily. Plus they will give you a list of lawyers when you get into trouble, notarize your documents for a hefty fee and give you a replacement travel document when you lose your passport....that's it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brierley said:

Yet was government not saying very recently that they wanted to attract more western retirees because of the economic benefits they bring to the country, how the heck are they going to do that if they treat existing retirees as an under class!

They don't care whether we stay here alive or dead as longer as our money stays here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brierley said:

Yet was government not saying very recently that they wanted to attract more western retirees because of the economic benefits they bring to the country, how the heck are they going to do that if they treat existing retirees as an under class!

You miss out " wealthy".

Not an economic retiree the likes of me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JRG23 said:

Britons living overseas should obtain the vaccine in their country of residence. They cannot arrange a vaccine in the UK from overseas.

https://www.william-russell.com/blog/getting-a-covid-vaccine-as-an-expat/#:~:text=Anyone who is returning to,in the UK from overseas.

It is fairly obvious the UK would try and stop people travelling for the vaccine due to the potential problems.

If you really want to do it then all you need to say is you have returned for good.

Anyone who is returning to live in the UK from abroad will be eligible for the vaccine in line with the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) priority list.

3 minutes ago, KOZMO said:

To laugh at all the <deleted> you put up with. i spent the last 10 years with my Wife in Thailand because we both preferred it to the Nursing homes in the USA. i bought a 3 bedroom Townhouse, had a maid and nurses aid worked 24/7. My wife got to see her family and eat all her favorite foods. It was a bitch for me with the visas cause i had to return each year for my Medical issues. she passed in 2019 and i returned in 2020 for my grand daughters 1st Birthday. i got stuck here till May 2020 but returned and got my Pfizer shots in February. Brought over my 2nd wife and she got her shots in March. yes i am Happy now and doubt i will return to all the <deleted> in Thailand. Happy in Florida !!! Even have air conditioning in all rooms so i din't sweat and <deleted>, lol !!!

I'm glad the US works for you...Thailand works for many other people; there's no need for a slag-fest. I'm happy you got your vaccines already because the US was a VERY dangerous place during the pandemic...what are you up to...500,000+ DEATHS? Thailand has 303, so never any real danger here so no need for quick vaccinations. 

I don't have to put up with any doo-doo in Thailand...in fact, my only govt contact is the 2 days a year I renew my retirement visa...10 minutes to drop off my paperwork and 2 minutes to pick it up the next day. Not very onerous...I would spend more time on one police traffic stop in the US. Don't get me started on city, state, federal, and property taxes, of which I pay none in Thailand (but hey, it got you your shot earlier than me ehh). 

I'm happy in Thailand and doubt I'll ever return to the US...and I'm so fulfilled here that I don't need to follow or post on any US internet forums.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

You miss out " wealthy".

Not an economic retiree the likes of me. 

Ah, I see, so this is part of the, "we need a better class of tourist", campaign, a subset of which is to kill off all the existing retirees with covid19, keep their money and then advertise for replacements....what could possibly go wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

There are a lot of hurdles, especially adminstration of the vaccines, but - and this will never happen - a country could make an offer to Thailand of five million doses, a portion of which (up to 20%) would be made available to ex-pats from the country. 

This is exactly what countries should be doing.  A win-win. 

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

Let gthe Embassies in Thailand vaccinate the people of    their country.. how difficult can that be?

From a practical perspective,even if the will was there,quite difficult. If there are no spare vaccines in the country that would entail a separate transportation of vaccines that need particular storage conditions.. and then to where - disparate clinics all over the country in numbers relating to where each national resides and a separate arrangement with those clinics for administering them? There is also a precedent for not being medically responsible for those outside it’s borders ,other than say where reciprocal arrangements exist ( U.K. EU) and even then it’s all administered by the country where the citizen lives.

5 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Actually, it's got nothing to do with the safety of the jabs.  More to do with people letting their guard down.  Just like what happened in Chile, another highly vaccinated country.  Just because you've gotten the jab, doesn't mean you can't get sick and infect others.

From that article:

Officials at the press conference gave little detail on what could be behind the infection surge other than to say people were taking fewer precautions against the virus than before and the surge may be due to celebrations after Easter.

• Like 2

Guest Harm Hendrik Reitsma
2 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Let gthe Embassies in Thailand vaccinate the people of    their country.. how difficult can that be?

Sheer dumb to think the Embassy would burn their vingers on this!

They are not a medical institution and have no medics OR nurses, the only thing is that they can speak out to the Government. But that is all, don't put IT in their hands as they can't apply!

Have a good Day.

2 hours ago, brucegoniners said:

I'm heading to the USA next week to get mine. This is a cluster<deleted>.

What's amazing is, on one hand they aren't letting private hospitals order the vaccine, on the other hand they insist Thais will get the vaccine before us dirty falang.

If they had allowed us to buy the vaccine from private hospitals I'd already be vaccinated.

This government is just idiotic.

They are military and don’t have a clue how to govern or handle this Covid crisis. If they actually had any real thinking brains they would copy the country doing the best job like New Zealand or any place that would be a better example than their incompetence.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Brierley said:

Ah, I see, so this is part of the, "we need a better class of tourist", campaign, a subset of which is to kill off all the existing retirees with covid19, keep their money and then advertise for replacements....what could possibly go wrong.

A bit of a cynical view of which I don't worry about, Que Sera, Sera.

• Like 1

Guest Harm Hendrik Reitsma
2 hours ago, Billpro785 said:

Flew back to the states and got mine. an month ago. All I  Needed was a negative Covid test. Now in Bangkok doing the 7 day quarantine . 

Wat was the Total cost of this trip inclusief all, travel, hotel, quarantaine??!

2 hours ago, Billpro785 said:

Flew back to the states and got mine. an month ago. All I  Needed was a negative Covid test. Now in Bangkok doing the 7 day quarantine . 

Guess you got very lucky to leave and return in such a very short period while others are still waiting to return under various programs.  So did you get the J&J vaccine, if you flew out a month ago and then returned within that month.  Tell us more please....Sounds a little far fetched, maybe a 2 month period as you had to wait the 3 weeks after the vaccine .....however that is OT.  Here eventually after the government stops with the games the hospitals will have the vaccines and we can be vaccinated.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mansell said:

They are military and don’t have a clue how to govern or handle this Covid crisis. If they actually had any real thinking brains they

would be even more dangerous. ????

2 hours ago, brucegoniners said:

I'm heading to the USA next week to get mine. This is a cluster<deleted>.

What's amazing is, on one hand they aren't letting private hospitals order the vaccine, on the other hand they insist Thais will get the vaccine before us dirty falang.

If they had allowed us to buy the vaccine from private hospitals I'd already be vaccinated.

This government is just idiotic.

Keep us updated as to the Journey and how long obtaining the COE takes after being vaccinated, as well as what proof they need from you as far as the vaccination goes.  I am sure that since you also live here you already have all of the pre-requisite paperwork and a re-entry permit which should shorten the time frame, including having insurance.  Good luck Sir.

Who has said that a vaccine will NOT be available to foreigners? 

Certain media outlets are just pressing your buttons

This is what the minister and his spokesman actually said ..........

“The vaccines right now are only reserved for Thai people who are now at a high-risk level or living in the severe outbreak areas. Expats should wait for a clear policy from the government,” ministry spokesperson Rungrueng Kitphati said. The minister added that expats may they may have the chance to get the vaccine when there is a surplus in the future.

Edited by Whale

It's not just expats with the option of going back to their home country for a vaccine. A friend of mine in Honolulu told me today that there were four Thai people at his local Safeway pharmacy getting vaccines while he was getting his and they had travelled over from BKK for that. The pharmacist there told him they had a surplus of vaccine and she was actually having to dispose of unused doses at the end of each day. Anyone, regardless of nationality, can get the vaccine and it is free. Presumably this is Johnson & Johnson as I doubt they are sticking around for the 3 or 4 weeks required for Pfizer or Moderna.

There have also been some stories on TV regarding vaccination tour packages to Los Angeles. Thai nationals only need obtain a US visa, and the travel company sorts out all the rest. 

• Like 1

A simple "yes, vaccines will be available to farang. Contact your local hospital. You will pay for it." or "No, go home to get it or go without." would suffice. I'm not asking for free. Just tell me if, when and where and I'll arrange for myself. Clear and simple answer, please decide so we can decide.

Edited by Hockeybik
  • Like 2