A shot in the arm: foreign residents and their eligibility for a jab

webfact

2 hours ago, Brierley said:

It's not their job to look after the health of their citizens overseas, they're not missionaries.

Then make it their job if only on behalf of family and friends still in the home countries.

1 hour ago, tonray said:

I don't trust them with my tax dollars, certainly not going to trust them with a needle. Not to mention they don't have any facilities to handle allergic reactions, hospitalizations needed, etc etc. In effect, they would have to farm it out to the local health authorities....and most of these vaccines require extreme cold storage and special shipping...again...they would need to acquire locally to do it right.

Where there is a will there is a way.

4 minutes ago, Whale said:

Who has said that a vaccine will NOT be available to foreigners? 

This is what the minister and his spokesman actually said ..........

“The vaccines right now are only reserved for Thai people who are now at a high-risk level or living in the severe outbreak areas. Expats should wait for a clear policy from the government,” ministry spokesperson Rungrueng Kitphati said. The minister added that expats may they may have the chance to get the vaccine when there is a surplus in the future.

When they order so little at one time, in what year will they have a surplus. And who wants the Chinese vaccine when there is a surplus?

10 minutes ago, Whale said:

Who has said that a vaccine will NOT be available to foreigners? 

Certain media outlets are just pressing your buttons

This is what the minister and his spokesman actually said ..........

“The vaccines right now are only reserved for Thai people who are now at a high-risk level or living in the severe outbreak areas. Expats should wait for a clear policy from the government,” ministry spokesperson Rungrueng Kitphati said. The minister added that expats may they may have the chance to get the vaccine when there is a surplus in the future.

There will not be a surplus.......

1 hour ago, new2here said:

I think sometimes it’s less about the “message” per se, but more to do with the how and when that message is delivered.

In this case- the whole uproar over the “Thais get first priority” matter… I think (my opinion only) that HAD it been said more like “We will of course give priority to the most vulnerable citizens, we recognize that everyone; citizens and non-citizens, will be eligible in phases” 

I think had they not used such … hard …. language, it might have played out better ….

but.. that too… i recognize that the ministry of health, like all ministries, is a governmental agency, and as such is ultimately beholden to the voting citizens — so a lot of times, the message will be packaged if you will, for a “domestic” audience- not expatriate.

I read the report - but cede that i wasn’t there to hear it delivered or ask clarifying questions - and from a non-citizen basis, you bet, it comes off as very anti-foreigner… but again, i suspect it was a comment directed more to a domestic audience and made without the benefit of perhaps a more ‘nuanced ’ delivery. 

I agree with you but it doesn't make the matter any better. We seem to be dealing with a community that, at least in a not insignificant part, expects such statements and with a government and its subordinate authorities that meets these needs and delivers accordingly.

And it does not remain only with these disturbing announcements ...

9 minutes ago, bubba said:

It's not just expats with the option of going back to their home country for a vaccine. A friend of mine in Honolulu told me today that there were four Thai people at his local Safeway pharmacy getting vaccines while he was getting his and they had travelled over from BKK for that. The pharmacist there told him they had a surplus of vaccine and she was actually having to dispose of unused doses at the end of each day. Anyone, regardless of nationality, can get the vaccine and it is free. Presumably this is Johnson & Johnson as I doubt they are sticking around for the 3 or 4 weeks required for Pfizer or Moderna.

There have also been some stories on TV regarding vaccination tour packages to Los Angeles. Thai nationals only need obtain a US visa, and the travel company sorts out all the rest. 

Thai gf was saying the same - time to get my ESTA renewed I think

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Derek B said:

Then make it their job if only on behalf of family and friends still in the home countries.

It's not my call what is in their job description, what they will and will not do, it's down to the government of the day. But it's been this way for a very long time, most people just haven't understood that.

It's not their job to look after the health of their citizens overseas, they're not missionaries.

So we have a panademic and nothing changes for them, why shouldn't they look after the health of thier overseas citizens in this case by administering the vaccine 

• Like 2

It is quiet amazing how many foreign countries have given South East Asian countries money for Covid-19 Vaccines, i know Australia have give $523.2 Million Dollars and only last week $2.8 Million to Thailand last week https://thepattayanews.com/2021/05/01/australia-donates-68-million-baht-to-thailand-to-support-vaccinations/

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/australian-embassy-snubs-aussie-expats-but-australia-donates-68-million-baht-for-thailands-vaccine-efforts

https://www.foreignminister.gov.au/minister/marise-payne/media-release/australian-support-covid-19-vaccine-access-pacific-and-southeast-asia ( on the Australian Embassy website thailand)

Sorry this is not Cricket i have forwarded this onto the the Prime Ministers office in Canberra no wonder Thailand is a 4th World Nation with Racisim towards Foreigners and other Countries Citizens..

Stay tuned its not finished yet!!

Edited by bluesea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have been lied here by both the Prime Ministry and Heath Military on foreginers get the vaccines.  It make them look stupid when one day we can get and the next we have to pay for it and get it from a private hospitals.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tonypandy said:

So we have a panademic and nothing changes for them, why shouldn't they look after the health of thier overseas citizens in this case by administering the vaccine 

Next you'll be wanting your unemployment and disability payment made from the Embassy in Bangkok, whatever next, invites for tea and cucumber sandwiches' too!

The problem is not Western expats it's the much larger population of Burmese and workers from other Asian countries, some here legally, many not. Western expats may total low six digits, the total number of expats however is in the millions.

Good point but are ASEAN countries really treated as foreigners - I am not so sure they are

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s foreign residents are often left scratching their heads at the confusing and sometimes apparently contradictory information on Covid-19 vaccines and their eligibility for a jab

Im not confused and all.  I find the government very consistent in their approach to confusing and contradictory information.  Ive come to expect it. ????

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DLock said:

Private Hospitals will be able to buy from the Government way before the last Thai is ever vaccinated, and you will be able to get vaccinated with your choice of vaccine for a few dollars.

It's not worth getting that worked up over.

It would be interesting to know when it will actually be,
No one knows how the pandemic will develop here and no one trusts the contradictory announcements that are made every day.

• Like 1

Just now, Derek B said:

Good point but are ASEAN countries really treated as foreigners - I am not so sure they are

Ask ANY Burmese, Cambodian or Laotian if they thinks they're regarded as foreigners in Thailand! Absolutely they are, in every respect. Even many hill tribe people who have been here for decades are regarded as non-Thais.

4 minutes ago, bluesea said:

It is quiet amazing how many foreign countries have given South East Asian countries money for Covid-19 Vaccines, i know Australia have give $550 Million Dollars and only last week $2.8 Million to Thailand last week https://thepattayanews.com/2021/05/01/australia-donates-68-million-baht-to-thailand-to-support-vaccinations/

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/australian-embassy-snubs-aussie-expats-but-australia-donates-68-million-baht-for-thailands-vaccine-efforts

https://www.foreignminister.gov.au/minister/marise-payne/media-release/australian-support-covid-19-vaccine-access-pacific-and-southeast-asia ( on the Australian Embassy website thailand)

Sorry this is not Cricket i have forwarded this onto the the Prime Ministers office in Canberra no wonder Thailand is a 4th World Nation with Racisim towards Foreigners and other Countries Citizens..

Stay tuned its not finished yet!!

Meanwhile, Australia has only managed to provide 2.4 million doses of vaccine for their own population of 25 million – around 9%. 

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Might find they are barred from going back home to get a vaccination until they actually get a vaccination !

Who to blame if their own countries do no welcome them...

5 minutes ago, TaoNow said:

Why are so many of you so anxious to get the vaccine?

Thailand is a low-prevalence country for Covid-19.

If you and your household members are practicing proper prevention -- like you should be -- you have little or no risk of infection.

Why not give it a rest until the vaccine situation becomes clearer?

Well put!!! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cnx101 said:

Yes I was thinking the same but the embassies don’t care about their citizens, the British embassy anyway.

The embassies nowadays are mere cash cows charging exorbitant prices for visas and signatures.  Not long it will be "Would you like any fries with that visa?"

• Haha 1

In Guam now. Decided to come over in early April. Did Guam/US government paid quarantine, including food, internet and laundry service. Decided to hang out and receive the Pfizer vaccine instead of J&J.  This is the closest destination. Unfortunately, one cannot travel via Manilla due to no transfer allowed policy at this time. Take 7:00AM departure out of BKK, transfer in Tokyo, arrive in Guam in the evening. Head to quarantine. Leave quarantine, receive vaccine, work and relax. Worth the trip. +3 hours on the clock beats 16 hour flight and -11 hours time change. US passport or green card and you are good to go.  Quarantine was supposed to drop May 1, but extended. Negative test needed for flight on ANA and UAL. Article about me in the local press: https://www.postguam.com/news/local/worth-it-american-expat-in-thailand-travels-to-guam-for-vaccine-vacation/article_ac7f7318-abd2-11eb-937e-5fd49dc227e8.html

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brierley said:

Next you'll be wanting your unemployment and disability payment made from the Embassy in Bangkok, whatever next, invites for tea and cucumber sandwiches' too!

I'm not on unemployment or disability, maybe you are. I don't like cucumber sandwiches either 

2 hours ago, jesimps said:

Surprised none of the usual culprits on here haven't yet offered that advice.

Perhaps they realize that "If you don't like it, go home" is the Thai Visa forum's version of Godwin's Law.In other words by invoking that stale platitude you show an inability to make a series of logical points and by default lose the argument.

6 hours ago, daveAustin said:

aka, if you don't like it go home lol

Clear as MUD! Thai daily headlines say 1st June = free vax for ALL. 7th June Ahh still free vax for ALL. 

Now NO vax for you farrangs and NO we won't even let the Hospitals sell you them at a HUGE profit.