Small flies

mran66

This year seems to have a lot of the tiny flies that buzz around your head and tend to get into ears. Seems not only in my place, but elsewhere too, however especially in my patio. Not mosquitos as they not bite, but very irritating when buzz around and land on your face eyes and ears all the time. 

Anyone has good idea of how to get rid of them with some practical methods? Where how they nest? 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, mran66 said:

Anyone has good idea of how to get rid of them with some practical methods? Where how they nest? 

Getting rid is a problem..... but I spray OFF around my ears and that seems to keep them off. They 'nest' on hanging string and the like, they gather on the pull chains of my ceiling fans and turn them into a cats tail ... and get a spray of Chaindrite when I find them. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes quite bad this year for these pesky fruit "flies"

1 hour ago, Nojohndoe said:

Be careful of those damn things! While they do not bite they will descend on any minor abrasion

They can also cause a nasty eye infection the Thais call "rok dta deng"   

the "red eye disease"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

Was told the gnats are out in force due to the mangoes about. They're irritating , no doubt.

I confirm, its the season. I have a big mango tree and they feast on the fruits that have fallen and are breached (intact fruits are safe from them).
That say, they stay in the garden around the tree and dont come into the house who is defended by a horde of geeko ????

• Like 1

9 hours ago, champers said:

Oops sorry, I thought this thread was about flies on pants. Out of neccessity, mine are big ones.????

Big hands can be a problem unfortunately...my father told me never to marry a woman with big hands.....dunno why ????

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, French mate said:

I confirm, its the season. I have a big mango tree and they feast on the fruits that have fallen and are breached (intact fruits are safe from them).
That say, they stay in the garden around the tree and dont come into the house who is defended by a horde of geeko ????

They certainly come into my house, although I do have many doors and windows open all day and do not have screens. From reading what someone posted here they must come from the expanse of land nearby as cassava is grown there. Also a fallen mango does get covered. Doubt the geckos do any good, plenty of more fulfilling flying termites around my night-lights. The waving zapper bat can sometimes get them... but they are in large numbers and another will be along shortly. 

They show up in my house sporadically. No fields or fruit trees anywhere nearby (though a lot of people have assorted plants outside their houses.). The jing joks don't help much as there is usually no more than 1 in my place at a time (that I've noticed). 

The little flies don't seem to care if I have the screens closed and are small enough to get through the tiniest gaps in any event. They are attracted to light and will often end up hovering or landing on my monitor, especially in the evenings.

Give the room a blast of bug spray, wait a couple minutes and be bug free - for a couple hours maybe.

They do seem to just disappear on their own after a week or two. I haven't had any buzzing around for close to a week now. (Maybe they've drowned in the recent rains.)

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

They do seem to just disappear on their own after a week or two. I haven't had any buzzing around for close to a week now. (Maybe they've drowned in the recent rains.)

The ones bothering me are usually gone when it gets dark... also not appearing until well into the morning, on hotter days. None right now as it is cool and cloudy. Of course when it gets hotter, more doors and windows are opened, so some chicken and egg there. 

They are a bloody nuisance. Into ears and eyes all the time.

• Like 1

They are proving to be a nuisance for some of the ladies playing at the LPGA Honda tournament in Pattaya. The Thai girls seem to more affected; perhaps it is the diet or maybe the skin whitening cream.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Susco said:

Put glasses half full of water, add a teaspoon of dishwashing soap and vinegar to it.

Top it off with cellophane and make a few holes in it with a toothpick.

They are attracted to it

Made two cocktails for them in the morning... The ones on my patio definitely are not attracted to it at all, seen none nearby the glasses, still buzzing into my ears so not gone away either, though it seems numbers are down after the rains and cooler day 

Will try the papers later, but wonder if they need a specific brand of soap or some higher grade vinegar to get attracted by the cocktail? I just put cheap one I've got from makro. 

10 minutes ago, mran66 said:

Made two cocktails for them in the morning... The ones on my patio definitely are not attracted to it at all, seen none nearby the glasses, still buzzing into my ears so not gone away either, though it seems numbers are down after the rains and cooler day 

Will try the papers later, but wonder if they need a specific brand of soap or some higher grade vinegar to get attracted by the cocktail? I just put cheap one I've got from makro. 

Of course putting those glasses out there will not eliminate those millions of small flies, especially not outdoors.

My solution is meant for indoors. Just leave the glasses there for a few days and see how many are floating in the fluid.

I use lemon flavour dishwasher soap from Makro

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 2:38 PM, mran66 said:

This year seems to have a lot of the tiny flies that buzz around your head and tend to get into ears.

They are not flies.  That's the new strain of covid.  ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Susco said:

Of course putting those glasses out there will not eliminate those millions of small flies, especially not outdoors.

My solution is meant for indoors. Just leave the glasses there for a few days and see how many are floating in the fluid.

I use lemon flavour dishwasher soap from Makro

Okay I see... Just had high expectations... 

But there must be something that attracts these bastards, really wonder if locals don't have any age-old simple bait-and-trap that could manage them in outdoors. Must be a nuisance in the sticks. Maybe they just smoke them.

11 minutes ago, mran66 said:

Okay I see... Just had high expectations... 

But there must be something that attracts these bastards, really wonder if locals don't have any age-old simple bait-and-trap that could manage them in outdoors. Must be a nuisance in the sticks. Maybe they just smoke them.

Currently there is construction going on behind my house, and I just looked over the wall, to see the workers frequently remove their mask and wave their hands in front of their faces

I think only way to get rid of them on the patio is having a fan pointed at you

Edited by Susco
  • Like 1

They have the sticky paper traps in Mr DIY.

The different traps have pictures of what they are used for. Flies, mice, rats and there is even one with an elephant on it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Oink said:

They have the sticky paper traps in Mr DIY.

The different traps have pictures of what they are used for. Flies, mice, rats and there is even one with an elephant on it.

I brought some flypaper rolls back from the UK once, or maybe, or got them here. Anyhow, put them up and nothing went near them, I was doing better with a swatter. 

go to 7/11. they sell a mosquito repellent in small spray bottles. (small pink labelled bottle, don't buy the one with a green label, it is too strong smelling)

spray a little on your arms, leg, neck and you will have piece.

thaisabai

I've successfully used Breeze detergent in an open container mixed with water (the level doesn't seem to make a difference), and put it under a 14W bulb turned on day and night.  After 2-3 days they are gone - into the water or no longer attracted to anything.  Plan to try some vinegar to see if it works faster.

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Can they get through the mesh size of facemasks too?

probably find that to be That small; they'd still be too young and still attached to mummys apron to wander far...