Damn all bean counters

Lacessit

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I have news for you, whoever you are. Customers are not stupid, and a loyal customer who deserts you because you have decided to be a Cheap Charlie with a good product is not coming back. Falling sales = less profit, and you know where you can stick that sharp pencil.

I think I saw some accountants running for cover...pocket protectors flying as they fled

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Brierley said:

I may be wrong but it seems more probable that the poor quality of your meal is due to reduced staffing levels at a time when there are dine in restrictions at many restaurants. A poorly trained person likely got roped in or similar, who knows, maybe even supply problems in these troubled restaurant times.

The soup and curry components are in plastic packages, separate items. The restaurant and staff have nothing to do with it, the components are either assembled by the staff and served at the restaurant, or I do it myself when I get home. I actually like the concept, because it's much less of a lottery with food hygiene. The food bowl and lid are recyclable, useful for storage of fruit in the refrigerator. That's why I am venting on TV. Disappointed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brierley said:

I may be wrong but it seems more probable that the poor quality of your meal is due to reduced staffing levels at a time when there are dine in restrictions at many restaurants. A poorly trained person likely got roped in or similar, who knows, maybe even supply problems in these troubled restaurant times.

It was possibly the bean counter, AKA the owner, now working on their own who made it.

2 hours ago, tonray said:

I think I saw some accountants running for cover...pocket protectors flying as they fled

Yes im running and hiding because of the ignorance displayed here. Accountants don't make decisions like that. Owners and management does. Accountants just register and calculate. They don't make decisions like that. Anyone who ever run a business knows that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robblok said:

seems like you have little idea what accountants do. They check the books after things are done. They don't make decisions about what goes in food or decisions to cut stuff. That is what management does based on figures they get from accountants. But accountants are external people hired to do the books.. Not to do as you say. Too bad most people are ignorant.

There was an accountant in the State Electricity Commission of Victoria many years ago who had the bright idea of substituting a sodium-based resin catalyst for a barium-based catalyst in the manufacture of circuit boards that went into power transformers that are visible on power poles at spaced intervals. Cost saving $40,000.

About 18 months later, corrosion of the copper in the circuit boards which normally had a life expectancy of 20 years cost the SEC $32 million in replacement of failed boards. I could quote the vehicle industry example, but I won't bother.

Where I come from, the financial controller in any large business is the second most important executive, after the CEO. An accounting background is a sine qua non for that position.

You're right, too bad most people are ignorant.

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Errm, heres a novel idea, ASK ! and dont guess or assume. Find out, then you can have your rant based on facts not speculation. ????

Complaining in Thailand is the same as insulting the person.

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

There was an accountant in the State Electricity Commission of Victoria many years ago who had the bright idea of substituting a sodium-based resin catalyst for a barium-based catalyst in the manufacture of circuit boards that went into power transformers that are visible on power poles at spaced intervals. Cost saving $40,000.

About 18 months later, corrosion of the copper in the circuit boards which normally had a life expectancy of 20 years cost the SEC $32 million in replacement of failed boards. I could quote the vehicle industry example, but I won't bother.

Where I come from, the financial controller in any large business is the second most important executive, after the CEO. An accounting background is a sine qua non for that position.

You're right, too bad most people are ignorant.

Still its not the accountants that make the decision you write it yourself.  Its management not accountants. Accountants can suggest (depending on the kind) but never makes the decision. So by your own admission your wrong. 

Im pretty sure the accountant in the State Electricity Commission did not have the final say in this at all. 

11 minutes ago, robblok said:

Im pretty sure the accountant in the State Electricity Commission did not have the final say in this at all. 

The employee who told me of this incident was the senior scientist at the SEC, and identified the person.

I do get fed up with people who ignore the science, and focus on the bottom line. Look where it has got America.

Perhaps you can explain why your opinion is right and knowledgeable, whereas mine is wrong and ignorant when I have data and facts to support it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The employee who told me of this incident was the senior scientist at the SEC, and identified the person.

I do get fed up with people who ignore the science, and focus on the bottom line. Look where it has got America.

Perhaps you can explain why your opinion is right and knowledgeable, whereas mine is wrong and ignorant when I have data and facts to support it.

Quite simple you act is if an accountant has a say in these decisions they don't the report and suggest its the CEO that decides.  There is a clear difference in what the job is. Also when you use accountant it often refers to people from outside the organization that do the books. They also would never be able to make the decisions.

Fact remains the role of an accountant is an advising one, the role of a CEO is the one that makes the decisions and takes into account more then what an accountant says. 

Im an accountant (external kind) but even when I was doing the books internally it was still the CEO that decided on all things. Its how companies are structured. So you lay the blame at the wrong person. Its the CEO.

You said as much yourself second most important person (so not the one making the decisions) of course a background in accounting is always useful higher up. It pays to be able to read financial reports if your higher up in a company. 

So to summise  accountants don't make the kind of decisions your talking about. They only advise and the actual decision is not done by them. Also any CEO worth its salt would not listen to only an accountant. They would ask the commercial guys too if its a good idea especially in a big organization like the one your referring too.

Go back to the restaurant and speak with management. Inform them that you simply cannot continue as a customer. Tell them the new recipe is much too generous, much too extravagant, and you can’t tolerate such an overabundance of lavish, rich food. Wish them luck.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, robblok said:

seems like you have little idea what accountants do. They check the books after things are done. They don't make decisions about what goes in food or decisions to cut stuff.

Indutrial accountants where I've worked have much more influence than you credit them with.  If, God forbid, another accountant somehow becomes CEO they will make decisions such as the one in the OP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

It is a well know fact that all accountants were abused as children.  Quite right too in my view,.  If my kids had looked like becoming accountants,  I would have drowned them in the local pond. My youngest daughter did bring it up as a possible career at some point, I said do it, if you want to be disowned and cast out from the family 

You know how they got the nickname bean counters? Before calculators, they had an abacus.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Upnotover said:
14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You know how they got the nickname bean counters? Before calculators, they had an abacus.

I think it's a misspelling, should be 'bead' counters

Edited by tonray

15 hours ago, Pilotman said:

It is a well know fact that all accountants were abused as children.  Quite right too in my view,.  If my kids had looked like becoming accountants,  I would have drowned them in the local pond. My youngest daughter did bring it up as a possible career at some point, I said do it, if you want to be disowned and cast out from the family 

I actually got a degree in finance/accounting and lasted one year at a large CPA firm. Couldn't stand the job although I loved the analytical nature of forensic accounting. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tonray said:

I actually got a degree in finance/accounting and lasted one year at a large CPA firm. Couldn't stand the job although I loved the analytical nature of forensic accounting. 

I quite enjoyed the film "The Accountant" with Christian Bale. Although he was not what one could call a bog-standard bean counter.

31 minutes ago, tonray said:

at least you saw the light. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

at least you saw the light. 

I did a correspondence course in accounting for something to do while I was working in a remote location. Took me two years to get my qualification, P&L statements, balance sheets, depreciation, etc. After I finished, I did wonder why more accountants did not die of boredom. My career in science was far more interesting.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2021 at 1:01 AM, robblok said:

Fact remains the role of an accountant is an advising one, the role of a CEO is the one that makes the decisions and takes into account more then what an accountant says. 

If the CEO had to decide between a sodium or a barium based catalyst, he'd fire pretty much the entire staff.

On 5/11/2021 at 5:51 AM, Pilotman said:

So what did she decide?