Huge electricity bills in April? PEA explain why you're at fault not them!

webfact

39 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Our overall consumption is roughly mirroring the same period last year.

Nothing new here and the same whinges every year, it's getting hot people, so your cooling kit will be working harder = more consumption = bigger bills.

Rocket science it is not, and they want to send a probe to the moon ... (which is rocket science).

They're on the way to Mars now.. But most people didn't complain about the discount they received for several months to compensate for the Covid crisis.. Or the deposit for the meter they paid and got back also due to the same crisis.  I never got any deposit refunded on these things in EU.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MasterBaker said:

i replaced 2 AC last year with new ones with inverters, as soon as started WFH, 30K investment already 50% paid back. Most of appliances in Thailand are more than 10 years old, poorly maintained and drain money out of your pocked faster than your Thai GF

I somehow have a doubt about the GF part. 5555555

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

What he is saying is the complete opposite of what i have been lead to believe over the years, keep fridge /freezer as full as possible to conserve electric.

So in my opinion Phansa is talking nonsense.

Just don't open the doors to get anything out ???? 

Do not use the ice maker ????

• Confused 1

that claim of more usage is easily verifiable on the bill that tells you how many watts you used,or if they are charging more baht per kilowatt.

just checked my bill march 353 units 959 baht

april 472units      1954 baht

march shows each unit used cost 2.71 baht(pea gave us a covid discount in march)

april  was 4.13 baht per unit(usual cost)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vandeventer said:

I asked my girlfriend to fan me but she refuses to do it. I guessed I watched too many old movies.

And the girls feeding you grapes?

Are they on strike too?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mahjongguy said:

And, yes, in support of the poor, the lowest usage pays the lowest price per unit. Higher usage costs more per unit, so it's a double whammy, but intended for fairness and to discourage waste. The same is true in California and many other States.

In Thailand, the 'poor people pay less' deal is all based on the "sufficiency economy" nonsense. Works great until your economy and society changes and you have a huge middle class with fridges and double-inverter airconditioners. I mean this lot leave their cars running while unattended in mall parking garages so that they stay nice and cool when they get back from window licking and trawling the food courts.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

No, it is an added incentive to conserve power. 

1.1.2 Consume over 150 kWh. per Month

Service Charge...  38.22

First 150 kWh. ( 0 – 150 th) 3.2484

Next 250 kWh. ( 151 st – 400 th) 4.2218

Over 400 kWh. ( 401 st and over) 4.4217

Gouging is more like the UK where at peak times the electricity costs more.

No, think of it as off-peak is cheaper!

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

Nah, he means Set the aircon at 26C High  And put the Fan on as well then it Will feel Cooler and use less Power then when the aircon is set at 22C and no Fan.

Can you actually turn the A/C on WITHOUT the fan? I think not.

21 minutes ago, thasoss said:

that claim of more usage is easily verifiable on the bill that tells you how many watts you used,or if they are charging more baht per kilowatt.

just checked my bill march 353 units 959 baht

april 472units      1954 baht

march shows each unit used cost 2.71 baht(pea gave us a covid discount in march)

april  was 4.13 baht per unit(usual cost)

I was 3.38 per unit in March and 4.14 in April, March usage was 455 and April was 555.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

What he is saying is the complete opposite of what i have been lead to believe over the years, keep fridge /freezer as full as possible to conserve electric.

This is Thailand, Colin. Nothing is as it seems. A reverse logic. One of the mysteries of the orient. Well, in Thailand anyway. Open mouth. Shove foot in it!.????

• Thanks 1

Pure physics - Not empty nor full, BUT the energy-efficient trick is to keep both your refrigerator and freezer around 3/4 full at all times - this to allow air to circulate ... ????

Here's How Full Or Empty Your Fridge and Freezer Should Be | Kitchn (thekitchn.com)

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:
1 hour ago, digger70 said:

Nah, he means Set the aircon at 26C High  And put the Fan on as well then it Will feel Cooler and use less Power then when the aircon is set at 22C and no Fan.

Can you actually turn the A/C on WITHOUT the fan? I think not.

He means an additional, external fan such as a ceiling fan or a floor-standing, oscillating fan. They help move the air faster.

I turn on the 10 kbtu bedroom aircon at 6 p.m. set on humidity removal mode at 19 degrees for an hour and then onto regular cooling at 25 degrees after that. At the same time, I put the ceiling fan and floor fan on high speed. By 9 p.m. the bedroom is cool and dry and I drop the fans to lowest speed. Around midnight, the aircon turns off, leaving only the fans on and the room stays cool enough until I wake up around 5 a.m. If I want a longer lie-in, I will set the aircon to turn off a couple of hours later.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, johnarth said:

sit in front of the fridge with door wide open staring in

I always ask my lot if they have found a new world in there..  Like Narnia  ???? ( Lion,Witch and Wardrobe/fridge)

3 minutes ago, johnarth said:

the problem is Thais havent had fridges or freezers for long and they including the power leader do not know how to use them my wife and daughter used to sit in front of the fridge with door wide open staring in trying to work out what they needed i used to tell them think what you want first then go get it

Huh? I'd wager Thai's have had refrigeration longer than you've had pubic hair.

• Haha 1

Science has never been a strong point here!

12 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

He means an additional, external fan such as a ceiling fan or a floor-standing, oscillating fan. They help move the air faster.

I turn on the 10 kbtu bedroom aircon at 6 p.m. set on humidity removal mode at 19 degrees for an hour and then onto regular cooling at 25 degrees after that. At the same time, I put the ceiling fan and floor fan on high speed. By 9 p.m. the bedroom is cool and dry and I drop the fans to lowest speed. Around midnight, the aircon turns off, leaving only the fans on and the room stays cool enough until I wake up around 5 a.m. If I want a longer lie-in, I will set the aircon to turn off a couple of hours later.

I put my Daikin inverter air con on 1 hour before I go to bed I also put my Mr Ken ceiling fan on which has a built in transformer from ac to dc super super quiet but it’s not cheap at 6,000 baht as I climb into bed my aircon is switched off with just the fan left running and the room is super cool.

A question in this context:

I own a house on Phuket in a resort. 
The administration of the resort charges me THB 3.94 / kwh (with only 300 kwh in April because vacancy), but for water consumption THB 50 /m3 (with 41 m3 in April also vacancy).

The electricity price I find so far ok, but 50 baht / m3 water is in my view clearly too high, the consumption anyway.

Do I see that wrong? 

19 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

On my Mitsubishi Mr Slims, you cannot set a temperture for the dehumidify function. 

So your aircon is on from 8pm to midnight?

6 minutes ago, phuketcouple said:

water is in my view clearly too high, the consumption anyway.

There is a leak somewhere  (toilets constantly running)  and/or  someone is "borrowing" the water to fill their swimming pool/ water truck.

3rd option the person reading the water meter wrote it down wrong.

Edited by johng

6 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Try 26C for half an hour with the fan circulating the air after you turn off the air conditioner, now if you don't have good insulation and sisolation, then your electricity bill is going to be high, because all your fan is going to be doing is circulating the hot air in the room when it heats up not long after you have switched off the air conditioner, and you will be turning your air conditioner back on again.

I  leave mine permanently on 26 c but wife stupidly  turns hers  off and on which uses  far more electricty trying to repeatedly cool  down a baking hot  room. Good  job she pays  all the bills!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, rayw said:

did see many years ago a report that claimed that electricity and water prices in the UK were some 300% or more higher than they should and would be if they were never deplorably privatised by the terrible anti people Thatcher regime.

I worked for someone who worked for the CEGB in the UK and before privatisation he said they were extremly wasteful and very badly run, in his  opinion it was way better after privatisation. I  liked  Thatcher, at least she had some balls.

Edited by Rampant Rabbit
  • Like 2