How to look for a land to buy in Issan? Where it is offered/sold...

AndyAndyAndy

I might be interested in buying some land in small village in Issan. There is no extended family that could help me and take advantage of me while doing so (how is it usually done). Me/wife are here alone and aren't sure how to approach this.

Looking at internet there are obviously no offers. I don't see any local companies around here that would specialize in this. I think majority of these deals goes, that people know somebody needs money and want to sell and they make a deal. Well, I/we don't usually have such information. Trying to go and ask around ended up in some hilarious offers. One lady for example offered 1 rai/1 000 000 Baht of rice field 8Km from the nearest road and no public access road (with the condition that she has to think about it first).

I don't know how to get to some serious offers.

1 hour ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

I don't know how to get to some serious offers.

If you're wife is Thai get her to ask. 

I have a daughter in law in Issan who could help maybe if you want me to ask but no promises.

you are on the right track, wrong lady... 

is it one specific village that you have picked out? and why? 

villages tend to be rather family oriented. the main/only attraction of our village is being near family and family activities. And all info about land is word of mouth - no agents or internet..

I think the closer you get to even a small city, you will have more choice - - and maybe a better lifestyle.. you might find that being somewhat near a Big C has some value...

good luck and think this through... 

• Like 2

Probably every village has some land for sale but Isaan is a big place. You should at least narrow it down to areas you wouldn't mind living, ideally not too far from a decent town, and then put the word out in the village shops and leave a phone number. Of course any initial price will be too high. I assume your wife speaks Isaan. And you should only consider areas where the land parcels have chanotes.

This site has listings for land. This URL filters for Khon Kaen all districts to 1 million baht. 1 rai = 1600 sqm. I think when tagged 'Corporate' there is an agent to contact if you click on a property which may or may not be helpful. With an agent one would assume they would go to the land office with you and the seller to sort things out:

https://www.ddproperty.com/en/property-for-sale?region_code=TH40&market=residential&property_type_code%5B%5D=LAND&property_type=L&maxprice=1000000

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

you are on the right track, wrong lady... 

is it one specific village that you have picked out? and why? 

villages tend to be rather family oriented. the main/only attraction of our village is being near family and family activities. And all info about land is word of mouth - no agents or internet..

I think the closer you get to even a small city, you will have more choice - - and maybe a better lifestyle.. you might find that being somewhat near a Big C has some value...

good luck and think this through... 

Yes, only this village, we live here for 6 years (rent a house). I originally choose this village because my wife knew a friend living here and wife's closest family is living more than 600Km away. Which works great, but doesn't help now when looking for land.

4 minutes ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

Yes, only this village, we live here for 6 years (rent a house). I originally choose this village because my wife knew a friend living here and wife's closest family is living more than 600Km away. Which works great, but doesn't help now when looking for land.

ok - great.. but after 6 years, you should know the price of land and people to get the word out too... good luck and glad you found a place you like..

• Like 1

Do you have a specific place in mind. Issan is a very big place. 

Find a place you like or have a few friends there, Rent a house and stay for a little while, rents are cheap. Learn the ins and outs of the area, (this side is good, that side no so much etc) . Make some friends in the area and spread the word , you are looking to buy land.

There is always someone selling.

If you are not in a hurry, and willing to wait , sooner or later there will be someone desperate for cash and you can make an offer. 

That's how we got our lot several years ago.  There is a nice lot for sale (wife told me) around the corner from our house, Nice country setting . but right outside the ring road in Khon Kaen which means 10 minute drive to the heart of KKC, 15 min to the airport. Let me know if you are interested , I can ask for you.

Edited by sirineou
  • Thanks 2

In what area of Isaan do you want to live?

How much land are you looking for?

What are the plans for the land?

House, farm, business or a combo?? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

small village.  opaque pricing.......

"very good deal, you buy, lucky"  means 1,000,000 overpriced

"you falang?"                                    means 3,000,000 overpriced

"very cheap, buy now, you ok?"    means                         run

pure comedy.  I've seen old, broken, bad stuff offered at 90% MSRP.  

Here's what you do..........

Business card.  phone number, number.   don't even ask for a price.  tell them you are looking at hundreds of places, and need a decision this week.

this is about the greatest buyer's market in Thai history.  I would try another country first, somewhere where the falang can legally own land and a house.  Laos, vietnam, etc.....and a condo is another name for garbage.  bad concrete.  

buy in a safe country, rent it out, live in LOS....  sleep better.  

• Confused 1

There has been a lot of land for sale because of the jobs situation. With village land you're best off at enquiring in the area you want to live in. You should know by now to be absent from any such meetings and make sure your wife does not mentioned she is married to a farang. Buying rice paddy is cheap and is probably easily available but don't forget the cost of the back fill. We bought 3 rai of paddy and back filled. Sold half of it for what we had paid. No profit but no loss.

1 hour ago, tso310 said:

You should know by now to be absent from any such meetings and make sure your wife does not mentioned she is married to a farang.

You could just grow a pair, learn to speak Thai and bargain yourself. No need to hide behind the sofa when people come calling.

My wife and I have purchased 2 plots of land and both times it was I who did the bargaining.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Need to be more specific mate Isaan is a big place ...if you let us know where you are a local will be able to help. There are also a few foreign owned real estate agents but they normally deal with large properties not sure if I can post them here so won't. Pm if interested 

• 3 weeks later...

In another life, a different wife, bought an established house in Khon Kaen town.    Didnt go near seller, sneaked looks   when house empty.  Wife did all the dealing. Owner was strapped for cash, wanted enough to pay out  bank loan.  My wife  let  buyer assume I was a Thai, but working in BKK.   Price agreed on, paid.  I turned up  at  final signing,  seller, a nice  guy (Thai) was happy, his wife, a Vietnamese, was  greatly peed off, stating if she had known  there was a falang involved  they would have doubled the price.   But  as  others have asked, where do  you want to buy, what type of land, farming, residential??  plenty  for sale in  nearly every village around  here,  Korat..  (PS  lost the house on divorce as is natural, at least I got rid of the wife as well)

• Haha 2

We found some land in 2020 in KK by speaking to a builder. We didn’t promise to use his services, but he befriended my wife, she told her story that she is local, but lives 1500km away .. He put us in contact with an “agent” who was just a local shop owner. She did nothing other than get in the way, eventually we agreed on some over inflated price in order to get the phone number.

I had a similar experience to @puchooay My wife did the initial contact, but I did all the questioning and negotiating on site. I got the land land at a price. I was happy to pay, I didn’t find an inflated farang price. Maybe I was lucky.

We looked at loads of plots on fb, there didn’t seem any pricing method. The hardest thing is to get the location we liked, in a small hamlet, 30 mins from town, 10 mins to lotus express / 7-11. The price was secondary.

Seller wanted 600K for less than a rai, I listened to his story, he took it as capital in a loan, the land was nor sor sam, he did all the legwork and got a chanote We met in the middle. My budget was 500k and I ended at 550K

We have since done the whole thing again buying the land next door to our plot. It’s not hard, it’s not easy and we learned a lot over the year.

Maybe just me, but I didn’t really have any luck with the western land agents, obviously they aren’t going to help for free. We had people going out of their way to take photos and send on LINE, it was a bit of a testimony to the issan people. The agent we contacted got 3K from the seller, but it’s usually 3% finders fee from the land owner, from what I gather.

Edited by recom273

11 hours ago, rbkk said:

https://www.ddproperty.com/en/surin

38 rai=400 Million baht caught my eye!

฿ 34,000,000  image.png.bc02ad956e3cca076abda334c17420f3.pngimage.png.4cd742784729dd962181a1b7d4658c5b.pngimage.png.a91d83bb2d21c6e3ecd7942827f63fb1.png
 BAHT
21660 sqm
฿1,570 / sqm

ขายที่ดิน ติดถนนทางหลวงแผ่นดินหมายเลข 24 จ. สุรินทร์
Ta Bao, Phrasat, Surin
MAP