Foreigners scatter as officials raid Rawai restaurant for serving alcohol

webfact

On 5/18/2021 at 9:06 PM, kimamey said:

If you're that worried about the restaurant owner not making money why not go and have a meal with something other than alcohol.  I don't often drink but if I do it will be when we go out to eat. Sometimes that's not possible due to a Buddhist or Royal holiday but I survive.

As far as I know the only people who actually need alcohol are alcoholics

The rules are there for a reason and  to be followed.

As soon as its safe to change them they will. So just get on with it . If you dont like it go home. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Smilermike said:

As soon as its safe to change them they will. So just get on with it . If you dont like it go home. 

I'm not sure you've understood my post.

I live in the UK and Thailand so I have 2 homes and I'm in the UK at the moment but planning on possibly returning in late July. Assuming by "go home" you mean to the UK then I'm already there. I've said nothing about not liking the rules and I've not even mentioned whether I agree with them or not. 

I was replying to a post that mentioned the hardships experienced by restaurants who are losing money due to lack of customers and the suggestion that not serving alcohol is the problem. My point was that there's no reason why we can't support local restaurants by having a meal just because they can't serve alcohol.

I hope that explains things.

On 5/17/2021 at 6:51 PM, FalangJaiDee said:

Weren’t slick enough. I’ve been drinking under awnings of locked bars with out of work bar girls on soi pothole, if I can conceal my “gatherings” out in the open then these guys must have been incredibly unslick.

either that or the bmw smart car SWOOPED in on ‘em.

Plenty of bars open behind closed shutters in Phuket an other places in Thailand.

I've said it before and it get denied by the know it alls on this forum, but I have many customers that run bars, and you can't show non existing things on video chats.

10 minutes ago, Maha Sarakham said:

You always knew it was like this for the elites or those with power or influence.  Nothing has changed in this regard other than your perspective on it.

I agree,

But for Crist's shake that was about beer. I will take all sort of abuse, but there are some things a man must maintain his integrity, otherwise we are nothing but animals. ????

• Like 1

On 5/20/2021 at 11:03 AM, Smilermike said:

The rules are for the plebs , there is a second set of rules for the rest.

As I said on my post above While I was sitting in a restaurant that rightly refused to serve me a beer, I understood the reason and respected it,. Then Two Thai guys walked in and were promptly served  beer.

How was it safe for them, but unsafe for me?  How is it unsafe for anyone to have a beer with their dinner???

• Like 2

I go to a lot of beaches in Phuket, just yesterday I saw a gang of life guards opening up some large Leo beers and passing it around with their friends who had joined in, right on the beach....! (although they are bunch of useless  losers that I never liked, probably claim it's not a party but drinking is part of their job...lol ! ????) - don't get me started, I had a lot of run-ins with these guys on various issues....

But they arrested that other lot some days ago on the beach, incidentally they were probably nabbed because a few farangs were in the mix..., Thais get away with it....!

And there are some posters here on this forum reckon there is no discrimination against farangs and in fact we are treated better than Thais when it comes to rules....!!!! ? come off it mate....????

• Sad 1

On 5/17/2021 at 9:47 AM, webfact said:

PHUKET: Police are attempting to track down several foreigners who fled a small restaurant in Rawai where they were sitting drinking beers when district officials arrived yesterday afternoon (May 16).

Wouldn't it have just been easier to tip your beer on the floor, or throw the bottle over the wall?

Then be one of the good foreigners that was just having lunch within the rules?

• Like 1

On 5/20/2021 at 5:48 PM, kimamey said:

I was replying to a post that mentioned the hardships experienced by restaurants who are losing money due to lack of customers and the suggestion that not serving alcohol is the problem. My point was that there's no reason why we can't support local restaurants by having a meal just because they can't serve alcohol.

Why would I want to support a business that won't serve me what I want for dinner/lunch?

When I can cook the same meal at home, cheaper, and have what I want to drink with it?

Let them go out of business  ................. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Wouldn't it have just been easier to tip your beer on the floor, or throw the bottle over the wall?

Then be one of the good foreigners that was just having lunch within the rules?

Somebody took photos and videos of these guys and tipped off the authorities ...., a bit like old eastern blocks with spies here now...., watch out....! ????

• Like 1

Just now, Agusts said:

Somebody took photos and videos of these guys and tipped off the authorities ...., a bit like old eastern blocks with spies here now...., watch out....! ????

If the bottle wasn't on the table ...... how could anyone take a photo or video to show you were drinking alcohol. A photo of my mug, doesn't really show it's contents be it beer, coffee, or sprite.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

If the bottle wasn't on the table ...... how could anyone take a photo or video to show you were drinking alcohol.

A photo of my mug, doesn't really show it's contents be it beer, coffee, or sprite.

I thought you said tip the beer on the floor, or throw the bottle over the wall after they arrived, that would be too late..., yes, if they do it from the beginning , hiding it , it's fine, but once there is photo evidence it's too late...

My mate got beer served in tea pot last week, that was innovative I thought.... ????

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Agusts said:

Not sure about that, but that same night the authorities had a road block setup 5 minutes away on the road coming from Yanui beach, Its easy to spot people in there and loads of bikes parked up

2080712754_Screenshot2021-05-22at11_59_06.thumb.png.7c12bf7ffe974f958609a8aef21e220b.png

A good acquaintance of mine  said it wasn't the 'elites' , just regulars that  the owner could trust  to keep quiet, behave and support him/her during the prohibition.