UK pound continues steep rise against Thai baht - other currencies up too as optimism mounts

webfact

13 minutes ago, Excel said:

Well I hope you are right because all those lovely girls who returned to my area because of no "work" in Pattaya are causing problems between me and my wife. Its one thing being called a "hansum man" in Pattaya but being called it at the local PTT, 7/11 and even by the tractor drivers daughter up here in the sticks is making my wife suspicious ????

Yeah, but still a refreshing sight in Isaan where we have mostly grandparents taking care of the bargirls children.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, luckyscruff said:

It is fine saying Thai Bhat is at 44.15 but this is only if you exchange cash .

What i suggest most people here are interested in is the rate on Money Transfers , for pension / savings transfers from there home banks into a Thai bank , as they are living here they do not have physical cast to exchange 

Wise will give you 44.15 with a 0.55pc fee

2 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Rather cheering.

Pension is paid in Sterling,

online teaching in Dollars.

Oh goodie!

Will wait for the 1st of next month to see what exchange rate I get with SCB on my pension.

8 minutes ago, luckyscruff said:

Thanks for the comments , did not know about Wise , so will look into it , could you have your pension paid into it , and then transfer to your foreign bank account ?

many posts here about Wise: they are very good , you can trust them 

yes, you can transfer you pension here, many of us do it ( I too ) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Will wait for the 1st of next month to see what exchange rate I get with SCB on my pension.

The GBP has done well but that's nothing compared to the Mongolian Tughrik that has appreciated 10% against the THB this month alone.????

Edited by Excel
  • Haha 2

I remember 91 to the pound,i had just come over to our office in BKK,  it really was agood time,also one of our clients had paid my fare over,oh happy days,now living here i work on 40 to the pound,so every time i use wise its a bonus at present

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Excel said:

Looks like you lost out then . 

There is no winning and losing. It's swings and roundabouts. When I moved here, it was 37 baht to the pound, OCT 1992. It went up to 70 at one point. It'a ll good. 

Gotta love the predictable nature of these Baht threads......it's pushing 45......I remember when it 53.....when I first came here it was 60......that's nothing, I remember 83.....on Wednesday the 16th I exchanged at 90....rolls out historic XE graphs....oh no you didn't....oh yes I did! ????

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

The UK's fantastic vaccination scheme has a lot to do with the pound recovering so much this year. As does the gradual debunking of the Project Fear nonsense that is slowly but surely being proved to have been hyperbole from the Pro EU factions that couldn't accept the Democratic mandate provided by the Brexit vote.

Onwards and upwards. ✌️

And in the meantime, violence erupts in Northern Ireland and the fishing industry collapses...  Just as we were promised...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Aforek said:

many posts here about Wise: they are very good , you can trust them 

yes, you can transfer you pension here, many of us do it ( I too ) 

I mean, you have your pension paid in your home bank, then you transfer money here  with Wise 

3 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Wish it could get back to 70+, 2004 was good year....

In 2007, I stepped off the plane here and thought "I can live really comfortably at this rate of exchange", blissfully unaware of the massive swing to the downside that was to come in the not too distant future. Then, I thought that the baht was Mickey Mouse money; I couldn't have been more wrong.

• Like 2

Just now, Pattaya Spotter said:

So much for Labour's and the chattering classes "Operation Fear."

Too funny. As though the pandemic and its economic effects could have been predicted with any certainty. Take advantage of this rate change while you can, it certainly isn't trend by anyone's estimation..

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I would say it is a trend, and that the pound will probably rise again to 50.

Both Thailand and Europe are on a COVID and general economic downturn.

The EU has many internal problems that will only get worse with time, they've allowed too many poor countries to join and now France and Germany are financing and subsidising all the other poor countries on their own.

I hope that is true and I wish that was true, because I spend Baht just like everyone else. But I see no reason in economics terms why GBP will strengthen and remain strong against THB over anything ohter than the short term. UK government debt is sky high (105% of GDP), Thailand's government debt is still very low by comparison (50% of GDP) and almost none of it is foreign debt (1.5%). And of course, a stronger currency works against exports, something that both countries need.

Edited by Brierley
  • Like 2