PC build

On 5/18/2021 at 9:36 AM, ignis said:

Motherboards = what do you need ?    Ram slots + Sata connectors + 1, 2 or 3 x M.2

Myself had picked out the 'MSI X570-A Pro'  as it has the 6 Sata that I use, + 4 memory slots

In the past mostly always used Gigabyte  but is more expensive

Myself have a Full size case with 11 case fans as standard = inside stays cool + never use Air Con

How do you fit ELEVEN fans in even a full size case? 

I have a Fractal tower with spaces for up to EIGHT 3.5 inch hard drives. How many do I use.....NONE! Two 2.5 SSDs behind the Mobo, two case fans, one on CPU and one on Graphics card. Very rarely hear the fans at all.

note I seldomly reply to posts,

- Your choice of new i5 w/16 GB is good.

For sysboards I like Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte.

Don't touch your current system at all (don't steal parts).

Totally keep your exisisting pc.

Do a new complete pc build.

- case, psu, cpu, ram, keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc.

The Hdd w/ OS is an issue,,,

I do suggest ssd, only crucial or samsung evo

(I only use Samsung Pro, 1-cell SLC, very expensive $$$)

- *choose only SATA MLC, 2-cell (important !!!)

and avoid those slot M2 and NVME and 3+ cell NAND !

Regardless of type of new OS/data drive,

you will likely "clone" existing OS to new drive ,,,

(many will suggest a re-install)

Reguardless, You WILL need a new licence "KEY" for this new system.

(Easy and inexpensive to acquire, others can tell you how.)

I'm simply trying to tell you not to kill your access to the world while doing this build.

You will need your current pc, and access, during this process.

(and also always good to have a spare pc, just in case)

- perhaps I'll throw in more later

- please don't PM me, I'm no longer local)

- wish you well & luck, HOWTO

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, howto said:

I'm simply trying to tell you not to kill your access to the world while doing this build.

You will need your current pc, and access, during this process.

(and also always good to have a spare pc, just in case)

Great thanks very much for taking the time.

That's good advice. I was thinking along those lines but not for the same reasons. I've been too busy swimming in technical information to think pragmatically!

Of course your comments regarding the hard drive have added to my research ???? but that's why I'm here. If it didn't offer any challenges Id probably just pay somebody the 1000b for the build.

But I'm definitely going to do a fresh install. I think it's only fitting on my first build. I don't want any of my grubby past spoiling it ????

FWIW

I'm probably going to lock in my CPU and mobo purchase tomorrow or Friday with the CPU INTEL CORE I5 - 11400 LGA 1200 and the ASUS MAINBOARD 1200 ROG STRIX B560-A GAMING WIFI. I have appreciated all the comments and suggestions, but I haven't found anything compelling in the more recent comments to make me change my mind. Of course remembering I did start out with an AMD processor in mind. 

So I'm not actually sure exactly which parts I should be looking at next. Maybe I need to give consideration to all of them, but the lure of choosing a sexy case is tugging at me!

On 5/17/2021 at 6:43 PM, 1 said:

I plan on running 32 GB of RAM

I only read your post and only a few answers.

As far as I see I ask myself: Why do you guess what you need if you can easily find out what you need?

Take your existing PC and open the task manager and look where you have bottlenecks.

How much is your CPU used? How much of your RAM is used?

I.e. I have in my PC 16 GB RAM and I whenever I look I don't think my PC ever used more that 12 GB. That shows me that 16 GB is fine and an upgrade to 32 GB wouldn't make it faster.

You can make similar conclusions for the CPU.

Currently the huge differences are because of SSDs. Any SSD is faster than no SSD and a new one, well selected is 10 times faster than that.

And in general: Always buy brand name parts but you don't need anything fancy. RAM is a good example: Buy 16 or 32 GB RAM i.e. from Kingston which match your motherboard. There is no point in buying fancy RAM modules. If there is a difference at all it's so little that you will not notice it.

And I use ASUS motherboards since forever and I never had problems with them.

• Thanks 1

My apologies as I am in error,

You must full-install the OS as

- you use a M$ OS and

- too many hardware changes (dreaded 3 change rule)

Worthy to mention,

- the "boxed" intel cpu comes w/ a fan, "oem-tray" units dont

- decent cpu thermal grease (I use Artic MX-4)

- you need 1~2 SATA cables

- psu, brand name, 500 watts or so, rated bronze at minimum.

- video, you currently using hdmi or display port? If hdmi no issues,

(there are 3 diff pin-out configs for DP, check/confirm your cable match)

May this go smoothly for you !

- howto

• Thanks 1

Get a good PSU

Myself have Thermaltake Toughpower 850 watt Gold........... = 10 year warranty..  added this under 3 years ago.

as for 32 gig of Ram ??    I have in my PC 16 GB RAM DDR 3, which is more than enough for my use + a heavy user.. 

No idea about the new type of CPU standard Fan, myself have a aftermarket  Cooler Master which is much more beefy  + my PC case has a CPU exhauster fan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have in my PC 16 GB RAM and I whenever I look I don't think my PC ever used more that 12 GB. That shows me that 16 GB is fine and an upgrade to 32 GB wouldn't make it faster.

You can make similar conclusions for the CPU.

That's good advice cheers.

Looking at the card numbers with my 16gb of two mismatched 8GB sticks with my usual 50-plus tabs open and a couple of other bits and pieces it's not taxed beyond 60% so it would certainly seem that 32GB would be a waste.

I did read somewhere that it is better to get two sticks to satisfy my needs ie 2x8gb. Could you tell me if that is a significant Improvement or getting one 16GB stick would suffice?

56 minutes ago, 1 said:

That's good advice cheers.

Looking at the card numbers with my 16gb of two mismatched 8GB sticks with my usual 50-plus tabs open and a couple of other bits and pieces it's not taxed beyond 60% so it would certainly seem that 32GB would be a waste.

I did read somewhere that it is better to get two sticks to satisfy my needs ie 2x8gb. Could you tell me if that is a significant Improvement or getting one 16GB stick would suffice?

In theory 2 sticks are better and faster - a few %. In real life it is unlikely that you notice any difference.

If you buy a motherboard with 4 slots then I would buy 2 same modules then you can add later two more. If you have a notebook with only two slots then I would buy one module so that you can add another module maybe in two years and then you don't have to throw away the existing module.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to close out these thread and thank everybody who offered their opinions and advice. Everything was very useful in helping me understand and make more informed decisions. Though my PSU decision was just a complete role of the dice in the end! 555

I'm super happy with the results, particularly as I was setting myself up for a fairly nominal increase in speeds. But I guess coming from a 10-year-old i-3 build and going to the latest i-5 I was always going to get some decent improvement and the resulting snappiness was just for the doctor ordered!

Anyway I really enjoyed the learning process. So thanks again to everybody who helped!