Recommended Accomodation Around Khao San (with Thai National)

mikalmus

Before returning to the UK my girlfriend and I spent a night in Bangkok. I remember having a lot of trouble finding accomodation in this area which allowed a Thai national to stay. We gave up on Khao San and walked onto Chakkapong Rd turning right then taking a left presumably on to Rambuttri as I remember the road bending round. After a few failed attempts we found a great little hotel that allowed her to stay. The double room was small but was only 850 baht and very comfortable. When entering the hotel there is a internet room with glass walls to the left and then the small lobby. I don't think there was a lift so we took the stairs instead.

Its a ridiculous question considering the rather generic description but does anyone know the name of this hotel? If not, have you got any recommendations around the area which are within a similar budget and most importantly allow my girlfriend to stay as well.

Thankyou.

Before returning to the UK my girlfriend and I spent a night in Bangkok. I remember having a lot of trouble finding accomodation in this area which allowed a Thai national to stay. We gave up on Khao San and walked onto Chakkapong Rd turning right then taking a left presumably on to Rambuttri as I remember the road bending round. After a few failed attempts we found a great little hotel that allowed her to stay. The double room was small but was only 850 baht and very comfortable. When entering the hotel there is a internet room with glass walls to the left and then the small lobby. I don't think there was a lift so we took the stairs instead.

Its a ridiculous question considering the rather generic description but does anyone know the name of this hotel? If not, have you got any recommendations around the area which are within a similar budget and most importantly allow my girlfriend to stay as well.

Thankyou.

Book in advance and stay more than one night and you should have no problems anywhere ..... <both names as guest :o >

have no idea as to the particular hotel .... have you looked in Lonely Planet?

<plus ... KSR? really? why!?>

Book in advance and stay more than one night and you should have no problems anywhere ..... <both names as guest :o >

Are you sure about the book in advance. Everywhere just seemed so anti thai. KSR was her idea but I haven't got a problem with it. Its a good base from which to get to and from places around the city..well kinda...oh shut up. :D

Are you sure about the book in advance. Everywhere just seemed so anti thai. KSR was her idea but I haven't got a problem with it. Its a good base from which to get to and from places around the city..well kinda...oh shut up. :D

I am sure ... they aren't anti-Thai ... they are avoiding particularly short-term GF's from being there :D

Even the NICE hotels in BKK are often a bit sketchy about letting non-registered Thai guests up to guest rooms ... and lower end places around tourist areas that are trying to remain respectable do that as well.

Book in advance and both register and ther should be no problem almost anywhere.

I have stayed at the Golden palace (soi 1) and the Manhattan (I think soi 7) both on Sukhumvit, I booked both myself and my Thai G/F in G/P and myself G/F and her 13 yr old sister (separate room) at the Man/tn .

I did book in advance and no problem so it maybe, as stated above, your lady was mistaken for a short-term (I do like that phrase) girlfriend. :D

My advice (for what it is worth) just try to book in advance if you can.

Steve :o

Myself and my bf (Thai) have had some problems with places right on Khaosan but when we book ahead we have had no problem. Our favorite place so far is Thai cozy guest house just off KS. They were really nice and no attitude...

Dont go to the COZY HOTEL near ksr , i phoned up and booked a room 600 baht when my thai wife arrived 2 hours after me they called me down to reception and demanded another 500 baht ,and that also she leave her id card at the desk,

told them to go whistle , they just said it was company policy, this is the first time i have ever had a problem with hotels in 2 yearsj

meme glad it was ok for you ;;

must just be me ,

Edited by colino

For a bit of history, try the Royal Hotel (the Thai sign says Rattanakosin) which is located across Rachadamnoen Rd. from the KSR area, on the corner facing Sanam Luang (the grassy park/field).

This hotel has been around for a long time and seen its fair share of Thai history, notably the political turmoil in 1973 and 1992. Not sure what their current prices are.

Guesthouses that are located directly on Khao San Road will not let you stay with a Thai girl in your room. It doesn't matter one bit to them that it's your authentic girlfriend. It's something the Khao San police don't let them do. I'm sure they would if they could, but they can't.

If you want to stay in that area with her, you won't find any joy on Khao San. Just stay in that hotel you already did or find one near Khao San Road.

why not try Baan Chantra? its a non smoking establishment but as a newly renovated guesthouse built in 1936 its apparently lovely. samsen road.

Swana is also a nice boutique hotel just near Rama 8 bridge. Well worth a look.

Guesthouses that are located directly on Khao San Road will not let you stay with a Thai girl in your room. It doesn't matter one bit to them that it's your authentic girlfriend. It's something the Khao San police don't let them do. I'm sure they would if they could, but they can't.

If you want to stay in that area with her, you won't find any joy on Khao San. Just stay in that hotel you already did or find one near Khao San Road.

not true

Stayed in the four sun inn with no problems about guests. B550 double room, shower, air con and tv. The new one with the entrance in the small alley behind Gullivers better than the o;d one.

Also d and d inn. Bit more expensive but pool on the roof and nice little bar.

I second Jockster nice big rooms with air-con for 450bt too or the "Swaasdee house" opposite side of road to Khao San off Rambutri Nr "Oh My Cod" doubels start at 360bt for fan room to 560bt for air-con closer to Khao San than the other. Both been fine with Thai girlfriend if you check in together in both names.

Edited by miniwai

My (Thai) husband and I usually stay at Rambuttri Inn - next to 7 Eleven on Soi Rambuttri - which offers nice clean rooms with air-con for around 900 baht. It sounds expensive but they have a great little swimming pool on the roof! We've never had a problem checking in but I suspect that it's different for farang women with Thai hubbies. :o

MCL

Myself and my bf (Thai) have had some problems with places right on Khaosan but when we book ahead we have had no problem. Our favorite place so far is Thai cozy guest house just off KS. They were really nice and no attitude...
Dont go to the COZY HOTEL near ksr , i phoned up and booked a room 600 baht when my thai wife arrived 2 hours after me they called me down to reception and demanded another 500 baht ,and that also she leave her id card at the desk,

told them to go whistle , they just said it was company policy, this is the first time i have ever had a problem with hotels in 2 yearsj

must just be me ,

I have stayed in the Thai Cozy House before, but with friends. I liked the hotel and they were friendly.

Stayed in the four sun inn with no problems about guests. B550 double room, shower, air con and tv. The new one with the entrance in the small alley behind Gullivers better than the o;d one.

I've also stayed in the D&D Inn, but I was under the impression that no Thais' were allowed. A female Thai friend could not visit me when I stayed there.

Anyway, I'm glad this thread has started, as I was thinking where to stay with my Thai BF. He's meeting me in BKK. He asked if I knew an area, about 1km away from Khao San Road - I didn't recognise it by sound. So, he said he'd meet me in KSR instead. I'll be there early in the morning, but as he won't be checking in with me, I'm wondering if he'll be allowed to come to my room? Unless I book the room under both our names, and say he'll be arriving later ... does that work? I'lll also probably only stay for one night, as we'll be making our way to Laos.

Is it different rules for Thai men than Thai women, or are all not generally welcome in KSR?

Any websites for accepting accommodations will be much appreciated.

x.

I have booked the NakornPink hotel 450baht for aircon room (sounds good to me) I asked for a room for two people but forgot to mention my g/f was Thai.

I will do that now and see what (if any) their response is.

Watch this space.

Thanks for all the great suggestions,

must just be me ,

I have stayed in the Thai Cozy House before, but with friends. I liked the hotel and they were friendly.

I've also stayed in the D&D Inn, but I was under the impression that no Thais' were allowed. A female Thai friend could not visit me when I stayed there.

Anyway, I'm glad this thread has started, as I was thinking where to stay with my Thai BF. He's meeting me in BKK. He asked if I knew an area, about 1km away from Khao San Road - I didn't recognise it by sound. So, he said he'd meet me in KSR instead. I'll be there early in the morning, but as he won't be checking in with me, I'm wondering if he'll be allowed to come to my room? Unless I book the room under both our names, and say he'll be arriving later ... does that work? I'lll also probably only stay for one night, as we'll be making our way to Laos.

Is it different rules for Thai men than Thai women, or are all not generally welcome in KSR?

Any websites for accepting accommodations will be much appreciated.

x.

About 5 years ago my ex who is Thai met me in BKK ( I was working in the North and he was working in the South..but that 's a whole other story! :o ) I was staying at the Khaosan palace. I told them when I checked in that my bf was meeting me but I was a newbie so I did not know that I had to tell them he was Thai. They said no problem, assuming he was a farang. When he showed up they would not let him up to my room until I made a huge fuss about it. I could not belive it at the time and was so shocked, I kept saying but he is Thai, this is Thailand!(Oh to be young and naive again) So now when my bf and I stay on Khaosan he always makes the booking or at least we always book ahead and tell them two people.....

I think if you just tell them when you arrive that he is coming and he is Thai then it shouldn't be a problem.

As for different rules for Thai men or women on KSR. I am sure that farang men with Thai gfs have a much harder time but there is definite judgement and attitude by some when you are a farang woman with a Thai bf :D.

About 5 years ago my ex who is Thai met me in BKK ( I was working in the North and he was working in the South..but that 's a whole other story! :o ) I was staying at the Khaosan palace. I told them when I checked in that my bf was meeting me but I was a newbie so I did not know that I had to tell them he was Thai. They said no problem, assuming he was a farang. When he showed up they would not let him up to my room until I made a huge fuss about it. I could not belive it at the time and was so shocked, I kept saying but he is Thai, this is Thailand!(Oh to be young and naive again) So now when my bf and I stay on Khaosan he always makes the booking or at least we always book ahead and tell them two people.....

I think if you just tell them when you arrive that he is coming and he is Thai then it shouldn't be a problem.

As for different rules for Thai men or women on KSR. I am sure that farang men with Thai gfs have a much harder time but there is definite judgement and attitude by some when you are a farang woman with a Thai bf :D .

Hi Meme,

Thanks for the advice. I'll make sure to be clear when I book.

What experiences have you had regarding "definite judgement and attitude"?

I was riding on the back of my fella's motorbike, and there were tourists in one of those open truck taxis, two of the guys started taking pictures of us ... strange? Maybe the first time they've seen a farang woman with a Thai man? That's the only thing I've noted ... but then, I guess I'm a newbie now! :D

x.

not true

Actually it is true, as stories here corroborate. I suppose there could be the odd guesthouse that will let it happen, but don't count on it. I've always heard it's the police policy. Sounds reasonable to believe, as the police have other funny policies like not letting scantily clad girls on Khao San Rd. during Songkran. If you want to stay in the area with a Thai partner, just don't waste your time on Khao San Road, find a guesthouse nearby but not actually on Khao San.

Edit to note that you farang girls may have better luck.

Edited by Jimjim

I have booked the NakornPink hotel 450baht for aircon room (sounds good to me) I asked for a room for two people but forgot to mention my g/f was Thai.

I will do that now and see what (if any) their response is.

Watch this space.

Thanks for all the great suggestions,

Its fine mate. Stayed there many times for a decent length of time. Never paid for aircon though. I used to pay 280 a night then they put the price up to 300. Still cheap.