Doctor expresses regret for not being able to admit a 2-month old COVID-19 patient

snoop1130

000_1UW6EC.jpeg

(File Photo by Cesar Von BANCELS / AFP)

A senior doctor has expressed deep sorrow for her difficult decision not to admit a two-month-old baby, suffering from a complex heart defect, or TOF (Tetralogy of Fallot), and infected with COVID-19, last Saturday.

The baby later died at another hospital.

Associate Professor Dr. Wanatpreeya Phongsamart, chief of the Contagious Division at Siriraj Hospital, said in her Facebook post yesterday (Wednesday) that “we honestly do not want to deny treatment.”

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/doctor-expresses-regret-for-not-being-able-to-admit-a-2-month-old-covid-19-patient/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2021-05-20

13 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Sad fact is you can't treat a baby that young as it doesn't have an immune system to fight off the disease.

RIP little one.

Leave alone with a bad heart defect on top of no immune system! 

Edited by pacovl46
  • Like 1

There are adults who had open heart surgery as children who live in fear of contracting Covid-19 (I'm one of them).  It's sad that this little girl didn't have the opportunity to have the surgery that would have saved her life, but the sad truth is that she would have had to guard against infections like Covid for the rest of her life.  Admittedly, correcting her heart defects would have made her less susceptible to infection and the infection would probably not be so dramatic, but speaking as someone who had open heart surgery as a child, I tend to get colds, flu, stomach viruses, UTIs, etc when others don't.  

I have no patience for those who say that Covid-19 is "just the flu" and that those who die "would have died anyway".  This baby wouldn't have died if she hadn't been infected with Covid and she would have lived long enough to have the life-saving surgery or surgeries that would have permitted her to have an otherwise fairly normal life.

I strongly approve of Thailand's or maybe it's just Chiang Mai province's policy of requiring those who test Covid-positive to go into quarantine centers, regardless of whether they have symptoms.  This keeps them from infecting their at-risk family members, even if they remain at home, or others in the community like me, if they go out and about which is more likely.