School says they cant give me a work permit

On 5/21/2021 at 9:52 PM, Jimbo53 said:

I would think it would be very difficult for you to obtain a WP,as your 25/30 hours per week salary as a Teachers Aide would probably be no where near the minimum monthly requirements (65k) for a retiree,never mind someone who is supposed to be able to support a family.

Good luck.

There is no minimum wage requirement for a WP for a teaching position.  Also he mentioned being  married to a Thai so is on extension due to marriage which the monthly requirement is only 40,000 baht a month not the 65,000 a month you quoted for a single person on an extension by reason of retirement. Plus you can't work on a retirement extension.

Many teachers make extra money teaching after school or tutoring online or part time at a language school.

Edited by Tony125

On 5/22/2021 at 11:47 PM, retsdon said:

Just looked at teaching jobs on Ajarn.com and the going rate seems to be about B40-50,000 a month. That's not much more than it was 20 years ago.

If baffles me why anyone with a tertiary education would want to work for that kind of money, especially in the frustrating and depressing environment of the Thai school system. 

Many teachers make a lot more than that doing tutoring online or after school. Some work part time at language schools as well.

Just looked at teaching jobs on Ajarn.com and the going rate seems to be about B40-50,000 a month. That's not much more than it was 20 years ago.

If baffles me why anyone with a tertiary education would want to work for that kind of money, especially in the frustrating and depressing environment of the Thai school system. 

TEFL jobs don't pay much more than that in the UK!  I saw this one advertised recently (about 620 baht an hour) - and that's in London!

Salary and Benefits

Teaching will be paid at a rate of £14 per hour. Working hours will vary from centre to centre, and according to student numbers, but a typical teaching week will be over 30 contract hours. Holiday will be accrued in accordance with UK laws and regulations.

On 5/20/2021 at 8:12 PM, Mister T said:

You will not get a work permit for teaching without a recognised degree in something. If it is not in education, you can get a waiver, but you mu. You will get dobbed in  by a Thai or Flip teacher who is jealous, for sure.

Thai Teachers , are your enemy ...

Land of Smiles ,  false , sure  

On 5/20/2021 at 7:43 PM, Mrgone87 said:

The thing is, their not trying to hire me under the table though. Like I asked how I was going to be paid,they said salary, by check once a month with option for public health.

None of this means anything to the comment made. Getting insurance and paid salary by check means nothing pertaining to getting your work permit. Without a degree you can not get a temporary teachers license which means the work permit office will not issue you a work permit. Simple 1 + 1 =3 haha. Your only choice it to risk working illegally or to quit. No working permit will be given to you. As for the speaker position. This would not apply as your contract says teacher and hours in class per week. The school knows this which is why they have not applied. The nightmare to get your permit is incorrect when dealing with schools that do this yearly. Your problem is simply you don't have a degree. 

I see the grammar nazis are out in force.   Posts removed.   Since the OP did not ask for advice on writing, posting about it is off-topic and trolling.  

6 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

None of this means anything to the comment made. Getting insurance and paid salary by check means nothing pertaining to getting your work permit. Without a degree you can not get a temporary teachers license which means the work permit office will not issue you a work permit. Simple 1 + 1 =3 haha. Your only choice it to risk working illegally or to quit. No working permit will be given to you. As for the speaker position. This would not apply as your contract says teacher and hours in class per week. The school knows this which is why they have not applied. The nightmare to get your permit is incorrect when dealing with schools that do this yearly. Your problem is simply you don't have a degree. 

WP is often troublesome for those with totally legit degrees.  Few are completely legal on their first day, if not first semester.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tony125 said:

There is no minimum wage requirement for a WP for a teaching position.  Also he mentioned being  married to a Thai so is on extension due to marriage which the monthly requirement is only 40,000 baht a month not the 65,000 a month you quoted for a single person on an extension by reason of retirement. Plus you can't work on a retirement extension.

Many teachers make extra money teaching after school or tutoring online or part time at a language school.

You obviously never read my updated reply.

• 1 month later...
On 5/25/2021 at 11:30 AM, moontang said:

Few are completely legal on their first day, if not first semester.

Indeed. My first few schools were like this. 3-4 months before I had everything. Then the last school I was at, as Covid was beginning to hit, it took about half the year. Admins have told me they've lost a lot of teachers like this. They hear about working without papers, and raids in the news, and then they bail.

But this time, here at my new school. I got everything sorted in less than a month. I was amazed. Signed the contract. It got sent to the provincial office for approval. They sent it to the labor office to apply for the WP. They got an appt. When it came, we went to labor to pay 3000 for the WP. Right after, we went to immigration. He quickly flipped through the stack without any hassle. He even did my 90 day without asking. Paid the 1900 for the Non-B. Sometimes amazing things happen in Amazing Thailand.

What happened? The staff at this school was a lot more diligent. Perhaps the offices involved are now more motivated due to no incoming farangs, and the resulting teacher shortage. But I think most of all, it's because this is Issan. In and around BKK I've found is where you'll get the hassle. I'd never work there again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My school currently pays less for farang teachers now than what it did when it was employing teachers 20 years ago. Most shcools have really not changed in salaries over that time. Even the pandemic has not had a noticeable effect of teacher salaries. 

1 hour ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Indeed. My first few schools were like this. 3-4 months before I had everything. Then the last school I was at, as Covid was beginning to hit, it took about half the year. Admins have told me they've lost a lot of teachers like this. They hear about working without papers, and raids in the news, and then they bail.

But this time, here at my new school. I got everything sorted in less than a month. I was amazed. Signed the contract. It got sent to the provincial office for approval. They sent it to the labor office to apply for the WP. They got an appt. When it came, we went to labor to pay 3000 for the WP. Right after, we went to immigration. He quickly flipped through the stack without any hassle. He even did my 90 day without asking. Paid the 1900 for the Non-B. Sometimes amazing things happen in Amazing Thailand.

What happened? The staff at this school was a lot more diligent. Perhaps the offices involved are now more motivated due to no incoming farangs, and the resulting teacher shortage. But I think most of all, it's because this is Issan. In and around BKK I've found is where you'll get the hassle. I'd never work there again.

If the school has paperwork in order, it only takes about a week to get a work permit (info from our office staff who is in charge of that). 

On 7/4/2021 at 11:27 PM, DavisH said:

If the school has paperwork in order, it only takes about a week to get a work permit (info from our office staff who is in charge of that). 

Don't forget the 5000 THB (AFAIK).  That alone gives them incentive to drag their bare feet. 

On 5/24/2021 at 6:51 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

TEFL jobs don't pay much more than that in the UK!  I saw this one advertised recently (about 620 baht an hour) - and that's in London!

Scraping by on Bangers and Mash ...no scones in that budget

32 minutes ago, tonray said:

Scraping by on Bangers and Mash ...no scones in that budget

I can substitute in Wyoming for 115 per day..Not great, but no meetings or after hours stuff.  Paid for house, too.  Got stuck overnight in Denver Saturday.  The clinics are mind blowing.  Pretty cheap.. spent 8 bucks and had five sessions and put about half of it in the bin at DEN.  Probably 20 years away in LOS.. just too much money in extortion. 

Edited by moontang