School says they cant give me a work permit

18 hours ago, CALSinCM said:

Read and heed.

so you're saying he should go for it and work in Thailand?

sorry, you were not very clear in your message.  

hahahhhahahhahhahahahahaaha

actually, i think the fine for the school is 400,000.  maybe

there are sooo many people working here with fake degrees, no work permits, fake certificates.....AND the schools know.  

Maybe 2 out of 15,000 get caught a year........

i've seen MANY times schools are called BEFORE immigration shows up to check.  it's a community, parents don't want their school busted.  

of course it was ME who had to talk to them because I was really educated.  just another clown show for clowns who are paid less than a homeless toilet cleaner in the middle of the desert.  not supposed to make sense, i guess.  lol

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, CALSinCM said:

They do not care about you. 

Currently, this is correct.  It's unethical and they will have no ill feelings if something bad happens to you.   I've seen it, and the school officials laughed as my friend flew home.  Slightly different situation, whatever.

BUT........IF you are a great teacher and can make the school money (private school, start applying), then they will REALLY care about you.  You can make them a lot of money if you take a good picture (yea, I'm not talking about teaching, the picture is easily the most important thing..if you're ugly, you are doomed, doomed, doomed).   

Do some online teaching videos and send us the youtube links.......we will troll them, but don't take it too personally.  constructive criticism.  lol.  but if they are great, i'm sure you will hear that as well....

forget about how many errors you make when typing..........this isn't a job interview or a test.........l;asjdflksfjsdl;fjsdflsjfl;fjdslkf;jdflks;djf;lfjdfkld   (correct that)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Just work. If the school is half decent, they will have the DoL in their pockets. This is the way it works here.  In over 25 years working here as I teacher, I never saw any teacher being charged for not having a WP. 

Interesting.  "Don't worry about breaking criminal law in Thailand.  Everybody does it."
Not good advice though.  No risk for you by telling the OP to break the law.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, CALSinCM said:

Interesting.  "Don't worry about breaking criminal law in Thailand.  Everybody does it."

You miss my point -  no risk for the OP. Much the same as advising someone to use a visa agent, totally illegal but safe. 

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, pixelaoffy said:

You're wrong! Need a work permit .how you get it doesn't matter 

That said ,  i know many farlangs , decent guys .

Who have failed in the buy bar plan . Nothing new ..

Teaching , is their second option .

I wish them well ..     Work permit / degree ..? 

Get real..

23 hours ago, BenDeCosta said:

I was always told that to get a work permit, I needed to have a 4-year degree. Didn't bother me because I have a 4-year masters degree.

I'm not saying you can't get a work permit without one, but it won't be legal, and you'll have to pay a lot. 

Most BAs are 3 year degrees so wouldn't qualify, correct me if I'm wrong.

Your first language is ?? 

That said , your English , is acceptable ..

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, elliss said:

Your first language is ?? 

That said , your English , is acceptable ..

My first language is Portugese, English is my second language.

But I grew up in Scotland, so I might have a bit of an accent.

Edited by BenDeCosta
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BenDeCosta said:

My first language is Portugese, English is my second language.

But I grew up in Scotland, so I might have a bit of an accent.

No problem ....

Welcome ..

• Thanks 1

On 5/20/2021 at 1:05 PM, Mrgone87 said:

The contract stated a paid position, 25-30 hours a week. The admin in WP department said they had a letter  for me, she was a bit unclear if, she could not get me a permit, or did not know how to apply for one in this scenario. I will go in tomorrow and speak with her in person.

I would think it would be very difficult for you to obtain a WP,as your 25/30 hours per week salary as a Teachers Aide would probably be no where near the minimum monthly requirements (65k) for a retiree,never mind someone who is supposed to be able to support a family.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Just looked at teaching jobs on Ajarn.com and the going rate seems to be about B40-50,000 a month. That's not much more than it was 20 years ago.

If baffles me why anyone with a tertiary education would want to work for that kind of money, especially in the frustrating and depressing environment of the Thai school system. 

On 5/20/2021 at 8:34 AM, EricTh said:

Probably that school is not as reputable as you think.

I was once asked during the interview if it is alright if the school doesn't apply for a work permit for me which shocked me; and this was a well-established school in the town center.

I read many times that applying for work permits for foreigners is a nightmare with countless documentation  so your school might want to avoid doing that.

There are foreign teachers who teach illegally in Thailand but it's not worth the risk.

I never had an issue getting a work permit in the last 20 years, However I dont work as a teacher.

I do know teachers are given a hard time, but the problem most of the time is the of school doesn't qualify to be able to hire foreigners. On top of that schools have had issues with workers quitting and dont want to go through the hassle and pay the cost of the work permit. 

OP  the school is ready to break the rules for you to work for them. What other rules / conditions in your contract will they be ready to break?? 

Would you listen to a car dealer telling you it's ok to drive without a license? Plenty of schools around, find one that follows the rules.

I wish you the best of Luck!!!

On 5/21/2021 at 4:48 PM, CALSinCM said:

@Neeranam has never seen a teacher get caught for not having a WP... in the 10 or so schools he may have worked at. That means it's 100% safe, and doesn't happen at all in the 40,000 schools in all of Thailand.
This is good advice. Don't worry. If the OP gets caught and can't be with his family anymore, it's okay. 

• Haha 1

On 5/21/2021 at 4:27 PM, puchooay said:

There is no minimum wage requirement for a WP for a teaching position.

Precisely my point!

The Bangkok Brains Trust have stipulated minimum amounts for Retiree's (mainly sole applicants) to live in Thailand,whether monthly or annually,and are  not allowed to perform any work in Thailand.

Then they allocate W.P's that allow foreigners to work in low paid professions to support a Thai family.

On 5/21/2021 at 2:28 PM, Neeranam said:

Just work. If the school is half decent, they will have the DoL in their pockets. This is the way it works here.  In over 25 years working here as I teacher, I never saw any teacher being charged for not having a WP. 

You need to keep up with the news reports of arrested "teachers" without WPs here on Thaivisa!   There's been no shortage of those reports over the years.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

You can absolutely work on an O marriage. I've done so for nearly ten years.

Possible the school is clueless.

Also possible that the school is clued in as you can literally quit you job that day, turn in your wp with one paper and your signature and go grab a beverage of choice to chill out. No immigration hassles, no unwinding B visa, no leaving the country (by plane). Start looking for work the next day.

Someone said you won't get busted for working at good schools without a wp. This is true but these are the GOOD schools (best) in Bangkok. Best schools not located in provs so take your chances. Also, these schools do work permits as a matter of course. It would just be new teachers 60+ days without.

1 minute ago, kynikoi said:

Someone said you won't get busted for working at good schools without a wp. This is true but these are the GOOD schools (best) in Bangkok. Best schools not located in provs so take your chances. Also, these schools do work permits as a matter of course. It would just be new teachers 60+ days without.

Any foreigner who works in Thailand without all the correct documentation should be expecting to be caught and deported at some point. Maybe it will be 3 months, maybe it will be 30 years, but if you're breaking the law, they'll find you eventually. Especially if you have a girlfriend that knows what you are doing and gets offended when you dump her.

For people with no connection to the country, it is probably less of an issue, they can just go and work somewhere else. But if you're invested in Thailand with a wife and family, property, motor vehicles etc. it would be a disaster.

11 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

Any foreigner who works in Thailand without all the correct documentation should be expecting to be caught and deported at some point. Maybe it will be 3 months, maybe it will be 30 years, but if you're breaking the law, they'll find you eventually. Especially if you have a girlfriend that knows what you are doing and gets offended when you dump her.

For people with no connection to the country, it is probably less of an issue, they can just go and work somewhere else. But if you're invested in Thailand with a wife and family, property, motor vehicles etc. it would be a disaster.

Yeah I couldn't agree more. I've worked at really good schools here in Thailand and I'm thankful. They've been excellent in getting the paperwork done and done quickly.

Anyone that is married or has a serious significant other is an absolute fool to work without a permit.

The odds are slim that you'll get caught but if you're caught your life is in many ways over.

I've heard that they kind of go easy on married people that are broke living in the sticks. But really the only reason to work without a permit these days is if you simply can't get one meaning no degree.

Coming into a new school everyone needs to work without a permit for some time. I would notify the school after 45 days that if I don't have a work permit after 65 days the second month I'm paid I'm gone. That's me personally some might choose to stay 3 months but you'd be an absolute fool to stay a day longer.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2021 at 12:56 PM, Mrgone87 said:

ranked very high far as Thai public schools go

This is such a tragedy and farce inimical to the best interests of Thais investing in the academic betterment of their children. Schools hiring questionably qualified foreigners sans an undergraduate degree who grow within the system to feel entitled to a work permit and voice out their resentment when they strongly feel that their proclaimed credentials, to wit  

On 5/20/2021 at 12:56 PM, Mrgone87 said:

a college paramedic cert from the US

warrants a deviation from this good Kingdom's laws. 

On 5/20/2021 at 6:01 PM, blackcab said:

The Grab driver who delivers my lunch can write you a letter saying you have permission to work if you want. It will be as valid as the letter supplied by the school.

He'll probably do a better job than most School staff !

You cannot get a Work Permit to teach without a university degree - period!  Do not listen to the school because if and when you are caught teaching by Thai Immigration, the school will NOT help you in any way.  You will be jailed, then deported and probably blacklisted leaving your pregnant wife alone.  I am a retired, licensed teacher.  I always had a valid work permit and would never consider working in a Thai school without one.  I, too, have a family.  I love them and they need me.  You should be focusing on your wife and unborn child, not an illegal job.  If a paycheck is that important to you, take your wife back to your country and work there.  You can then return to university, finish your degree, and come back to teach of you choose.

• Like 1

You won't get a work permit for the school without a letter from MOE and you won't get that letter without a degree or Diploma. My school district ask me to help with  English for a two day event  as I am a fully qualified teacher. I mentioned to our friend who takes care of foreign work permits at the employment office  and she said even to work for the school district for a day I would need a work permit. 

On 5/20/2021 at 6:30 PM, Mrgone87 said:

Can I not take my contract  and materials to the ministry of labor and apply myself?

WP does require an as-thick-as-yellow-pages set of documents, all in Thai which also consider the main justification why the Employer needs you vs a Thai national and the number of Thai nationals vs foreigners.

In my case a Lawyer firm is doing the job, paid by my employer, and take several weeks to gather all documents and submit them to MOL and eventually Immigration office for working Visa. 

Even though you do have a Thai wife I think it is pretty impossible to do all on your own unless you know the process and are very proficient in Thai language.

Many teachers, expecially in the past, used to be employed like in the proposal, doing visa run and stuff, but current junta has tightened all loopholes and it is extremely risky nowadays also because checks are far more frequent even with browns envelopes moving around (see the case of the child abuses last year or covid, anything which will put your school under the spot it will end up with incarceration and deportation) .