Covid test for air travel purpose

Brunolem

A friend of mine living in Pattaya tells me that, if you want to leave Thailand by air, the only PCR test accepted is the one done at the Bangkok Pattaya Hospital.

Tests done by other hospitals, such as the Banglamung Public Hospital, are not accepted by airlines.

Is that true?

More generally, are there lists of "approved hospitals" for each province?

Thanks for your input.

• Confused 1

As far as I know there is no test required to leave by air.  The specific airline or the country you are going to may have requirements.  I will be going to the US in June and the US requirement is to have a negative PCR test within 3 days of departure.

Don't know where you are getting your information, but it depends on where you are going to, what your airline policies are, and what the departing country guidelines are (as well as the beliefs of the people you interact with)...  do your homework...  Showing up at the airport only to be turned away is a bad way to start the day...

For EXAMPLE:  If you are going to the US...

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/covid-19-information/

Last updated: May 10, 2021

***  Effective January 26, all airline passengers to the United States ages two years and older must provide a negative COVID-19 viral test taken within three calendar days of travel. Alternatively, travelers to the U.S. may provide documentation from a licensed health care provider of having recovered from COVID-19 in the 90 days preceding travel.

• Like 1

I'm flying to Zurich/Switzerland on 20th June 2021 with SWISS Intl Airlines, and a COVID-19 negative test according PCR is mandatory to be allowed to board the plane. It is also mandatory to enter Switzerland. On top of that, you need to register your arrival in Switzerland in advance, using the following form:

https://swissplf.admin.ch/formular

3 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

None of the posts above answer to my question, which is:

Can the PCR test for air travel purpose be done at any hospital in Thailand, or is there a list of approved hospitals?

Can your airline help?  A bit of a pain, but some of the airlines have offices here.  I've called them several times in the past and they've been great at helping out.  Just a thought...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Can your airline help?  A bit of a pain, but some of the airlines have offices here.  I've called them several times in the past and they've been great at helping out.  Just a thought...

Good advise.  I've never heard of a list of approved places to get a pcr test.  I think any hospital is fine, but if you want to be extra safe, call your airline and ask.  They are the ones who will determine if you can get on the plane and requirements can vary between airlines.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

Can the PCR test for air travel purpose be done at any hospital in Thailand, or is there a list of approved hospitals?

Sorry I cant help but would like to know myself. If you find info could you please post.

I believe that it is up to the destination country. Prior to flying to China, the Chinese Embassy provided me with a list of acceptable testing centers in Bangkok. It was well over 20 providers.

• Like 1

To the OP, any Thai hospital offering a PCR (polymerase chain reaction) COVID test is acceptable. This molecular test has to be done in a proper lab. The hospital administers the test and sends it to a lab. That’s why results take time.

Bumrungrad is doing the test for a charge of 5,500bt with same day results (morning test, evening results).

Any one flying needs to check the restrictions for the country they are flying to. (Eg Canada requires other information submitted through an official app).

Hope this helps. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, aviator581 said:

Medconsult 2600 baht used by Americans on this forum, also Wellmed in Bangkok 

Aviator,

You state that MedConsult has been used by Americans.  Is this also true for WellMed?  Neither is listed on the US embassy website so I assume their list is not a list of the only acceptable locations.  

On 5/22/2021 at 9:17 AM, Brunolem said:

Dod you get anywhere with your test? 

In order to travel to the USA my wife and I got same day PCR Covid tests at Bangkok Hospital in Bangkok. Results said BKK hospital with bright blue stamps, but looked fairly standardized otherwise. Also came in a nice official looking brown envelope. Test results were reviewed by airline staff in BKK and Japan, but not in the USA. While no words were shared other than a nod it did not seem like they cared which hospital. My guess is all that mattered was that it was on the correct form with appropriate stamps.

Edited by wasabi

7 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

I also can not find where it says the  PCR test is the only excepted for the US, not sure about the airlines.

Here's from the airline we're flying in a few weeks...

https://www.jal.co.jp/th/en/info/travelalerts/flysafe/flights-service/quarantine-immigration/#toDom05

Travelers who are not entering Japan and transferring directly to a third country by transit, are not required to submit any documents and undergo PCR tests.

But seems to be a requirement for entry into the US.

https://airheart.com/travel-bans/from/thailand/to/united-states

Description

Travelers must have an original printed or electronic negative COVID-19 viral test result (NAAT: RT-PCR, RT-LAMP, TMA, NEAR, HDA, or Antigen: Rapid). The test must be performed within 3 days before the first scheduled departure time in the flight itinerary.

This requirement applies to all travelers, including US citizens, residents, and transit travelers, as well as travelers who have been vaccinated.

More Details

This testing requirement does not apply to:

• Travelers under the age of 2;
  • Travelers who have recovered from COVID-19. These travelers must show proof of a positive viral test from the preceding 90 days and a letter from their healthcare provider or public health official stating they are cleared to end isolation. Please see the source for more details.
Testing Options
  • A Antigen Test Up To 3 days Before Departure
  • A Nucleic Acid Test Up To 3 days Before Departure
  • A Rt Pcr Test Up To 3 days Before Departure
  • A Rt Lamp Test Up To 3 days Before Departure
  • A Tma Test Up To 3 days Before Departure
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

Here's from the airline we're flying in a few weeks...

https://www.jal.co.jp/th/en/info/travelalerts/flysafe/flights-service/quarantine-immigration/#toDom05

But seems to be a requirement for entry into the US.

https://airheart.com/travel-bans/from/thailand/to/united-states

Description

Travelers must have an original printed or electronic negative COVID-19 viral test result (NAAT: RT-PCR, RT-LAMP, TMA, NEAR, HDA, or Antigen: Rapid). The test must be performed within 3 days before the first scheduled departure time in the flight itinerary.

This requirement applies to all travelers, including US citizens, residents, and transit travelers, as well as travelers who have been vaccinated.

More Details

This testing requirement does not apply to:

• Travelers under the age of 2;
  • Travelers who have recovered from COVID-19. These travelers must show proof of a positive viral test from the preceding 90 days and a letter from their healthcare provider or public health official stating they are cleared to end isolation. Please see the source for more details.
Testing Options
  • A Antigen Test Up To 3 days Before Departure
  • A Nucleic Acid Test Up To 3 days Before Departure
  • A Rt Pcr Test Up To 3 days Before Departure
  • A Rt Lamp Test Up To 3 days Before Departure
  • A Tma Test Up To 3 days Before Departure

Thanks for that. I had read that about entering the US but it was dated last Feb. I could not find any update on that so I guess it still holds true. I will also be flying JAL/AA but didn't find what you posted The Antigen test is about 1/3 cheaper and I guess you can get the results in an hr instead of 10. I read that the Antigen test is very accurate for negatives but gives quite a few faults positives and if you get one then you have to take the PCR. With a 72 hr window, timing is everything:).

Most of the places I have called to get the test will not even mention getting the Antigen test for flying. When I tell them I think it is except able for US travel, they just go blank as if they do not know one way or the other.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

Thanks for that. I had read that about entering the US but it was dated last Feb. I could not find any update on that so I guess it still holds true. I will also be flying JAL/AA but didn't find what you posted The Antigen test is about 1/3 cheaper and I guess you can get the results in an hr instead of 10. I read that the Antigen test is very accurate for negatives but gives quite a few faults positives and if you get one then you have to take the PCR. With a 72 hr window, timing is everything:).

Most of the places I have called to get the test will not even mention getting the Antigen test for flying. When I tell them I think it is except able for US travel, they just go blank as if they do not know one way or the other.

Just to be sure, I'd call your airlines.  I've had great luck over the years calling the local offices for help.  It's the airline that will enforce the testing rule.

Most places can have the PCR test back to you the same day so I would not bother with the Antigen test since even though the USA accepts it some airlines and Thailand themselves may not fully grasp this. Secondly they did ask for my test results in Japan during a transit stop. That might've been because my wife and I were not issued our second boarding pass from NRT to SFO but best to be prepared they may ask.

• Thanks 1

I booked for PCR test for Thursday at Pattaya memorial. 3500b. Result Thursday. My wife was at Sri Racha hospital and asked for a test for me there.  The doctor said only certain places are allowed. They have set up another monopoly so the Government's friends can overcharge.

• Sad 1

There is no "test for air travel purpose". The airline can only check if you have mandatory test required by the country you are flying to. I filed bkk-doha-warsaw few days ago. As Poland doesn't require covid test, the airline also didn't ask. I travelled without any test and no one asked about test. 

24 minutes ago, stapoz said:

There is no "test for air travel purpose". The airline can only check if you have mandatory test required by the country you are flying to. I filed bkk-doha-warsaw few days ago. As Poland doesn't require covid test, the airline also didn't ask. I travelled without any test and no one asked about test. 

Ummm...if the country requires a test, that would be a "test for air travel purpose". LOL

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'm flying JAL to the US soon. JAL site had a form I downloaded showing one filled out which is what they will accept ( (RT-PCR) and (LAMP) and a blank one for the hospital to fill out. 

BKK hosp in Udon 4500 same day results. AEK Udon was 4000 same day result. Udon government hospital is free, results next day.

I showed all them the forms, and type of test needed and they all said "Yes, that is what we do".

Shameful that the private hospitals have found, yet another way, to gouge us.