All eyes on China’s Sinovac – Thailand’s vaccine choice for emergency

webfact

We often fly to NA via Chinese carriers with a layover in China. It appears travelers cannot enter China unless they've had a Chinese jab. One reason for Sinovac, anyway!

There has not been truly universal of even widespread vax in China. Be interesting to see how all their domestic tourism pans out.

38 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

That has been reported for every vaccine as far as I know.

Highly effective against hospitalization and death.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/22/health/covid-vaccines-prevent-death/index.html

"All the Covid-19 vaccines prevent death and severe disease, and that's what matters, experts say"

Been reported 10 different times, 10 different ways.

Let me offer some for Sinovac specifically as well:

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/chinas-sinovac-covid-19-vaccine-67-effective-preventing-symptomatic-infection-2021-04-16/

"China's Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine was 67% effective in preventing symptomatic infection, data from a huge real-world study inChile has shown, a potential boost for the jab which has come under scrutiny over its level of protection against the virus.

The CoronaVac vaccine was 85% effective in preventing hospitalizations and 80% effective in preventing deaths, the Chilean government said in a report, adding that the data should prove a "game changer" from the vaccine more widely."

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/05/12/asia-pacific/china-sinovac-effective/

"Sinovac Biotech Ltd.’s vaccine is wiping out COVID-19 among health workers in Indonesia, an encouraging sign for the dozens of developing countries reliant on the controversial Chinese shot, which performed far worse than Western vaccines in clinical trials.

Indonesia tracked 25,374 health workers in Jakarta for 28 days after they received their second dose and found that the vaccine protected 100% of them from death and 96% from hospitalization"

23 hours ago, webfact said:

How effective is CoronaVac?

Data from a clinical trial in Brazil show CoronaVac was 50.4% effective at preventing symptomatic infections overall. However, it was 78 per cent effective in preventing mild to serious cases that need hospitalisation.

Not a lot of use then, especially against the Indian strain, but in the absence of anything else it's all Thailands got.

1 hour ago, cdemundo said:

Do you think that half the vaccinated people in clinical trials had symptomatic disease?

Do you think that half the placebo group people in clinical trials had symptomatic disease?

did the Chinese vaccine had any reliable clinical trials, by western (non corrupted country) standards if so, do you care to share the data

• Like 1

23 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

Don't be too unkind, the Chinese did make a very good virus 

Apparently if you watch some documentaries that's exactly what they did in Wuhan, manipulated strains of SERS/MERS and changed it into another mutant [to get ahead of nature] to see what it could do.

Now the whole world knows what it can do... but no real idea how to stop it.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Jimbo2014 said:

So kind of like not having a vaccination at all

No.

The calculation works like this:

We have an unvaccinated group of people. 

Some people get infected (we don't know how many,  and we don't care how many). We end up with 100 symptomatic cases.

Now a group of the same size, same circumstances,  but they are vaccinated with Sinovac.

Only 50 end up with symptoms of covid. 

That's 50% efficacy against symptomatic infection.  Not very good,  but better than nothing. 

Now repeat with another,  bigger group of unvaccinated people and see how many will get seriously sick. It turns out, in this group 100 people get seriously sick.

Now again a group of the same size, same circumstances,  but they are vaccinated with Sinovac.

Only 20 end up seriously ill.

That's 80% efficacy against seriously illness, quite good.

My problem with Sinovac is not the efficacy. It is the fact that we know nothing about side effects. Sinovac and governments (does any democracy use Sinovac?) are not transparent, and the fears of the public are downplayed and ridiculed.

One would not expect a lot of serious side effects, because it is a traditional vaccine,  effects and side effects should be limited.

But blindly trust an injection from a Chinese company known for corruption and vaccine scandals? That's what they ask me to do.

Edited by Kiujunn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Kiujunn said:

No.

The calculation works like this:

We have an unvaccinated group of people. 

Some people get infected (we don't know how many,  and we don't care how many). We end up with 100 symptomatic cases.

Now a group of the same size, same circumstances,  but they are vaccinated with Sinovac.

Only 50 end up with symptoms of covid. 

That's 50% efficacy against symptomatic infection.  Not very good,  but better than nothing. 

Now repeat with another,  bigger group of unvaccinated people and see how many will get seriously sick. It turns out, in this group 100 people get seriously sick.

Now again a group of the same size, same circumstances,  but they are vaccinated with Sinovac.

Only 20 end up seriously ill.

That's 80% efficacy against seriously illness, quite good.

My problem with Sinovac is not the efficacy. It is the fact that we know nothing about side effects. Sinovac and governments (does any democracy use Sinovac?) are not transparent, and the fears of the public are downplayed and ridiculed.

One would not expect a lot of serious side effects, because it is a traditional vaccine,  effects and side effects should be limited.

But blindly trust an injection from a Chinese company known for corruption and vaccine scandals? That's what they ask me to do.

here are some reports about the China vaccine, if you read the article, you will see that
China didn't report any, Not One,  death related to the vaccine and the ones that were reported by Hong Kong they were "miraculously"  reported as people with "other" disease..... and some of the Chinese lovers would claim that's a non reliable source from the philippines but HK news reporting has been removed from my site. I never trusted crooks and cheaters, thus will never trust China and have plenty of reasons to do so as I lived there for 12+ years thus know first hand how it works over there

https://www.manilatimes.net/2021/04/06/opinion/columnists/topanalysis/shocking-report-on-sinovac-vaccinations-increased-covid-cases-after-using-vaccine/860478/

Shocking report on Sinovac vaccinations: Increased Covid cases after using vaccine

In response to the death of 13 people in Hong Kong after receiving the vaccine, authorities responded on March 30, saying that current data show that most of the cases died of cardiovascular disease and none of the individual cases were directly related to the vaccination.

3 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

here are some reports about the China vaccine, if you read the article, you will see that
China didn't report any, Not One,  death related to the vaccine and the ones that were reported by Hong Kong they were "miraculously"  reported as people with "other" disease..... and some of the Chinese lovers would claim that's a non reliable source from the philippines but HK news reporting has been removed from my site. I never trusted crooks and cheaters, thus will never trust China and have plenty of reasons to do so as I lived there for 12+ years thus know first hand how it works over there

https://www.manilatimes.net/2021/04/06/opinion/columnists/topanalysis/shocking-report-on-sinovac-vaccinations-increased-covid-cases-after-using-vaccine/860478/

Shocking report on Sinovac vaccinations: Increased Covid cases after using vaccine

In response to the death of 13 people in Hong Kong after receiving the vaccine, authorities responded on March 30, saying that current data show that most of the cases died of cardiovascular disease and none of the individual cases were directly related to the vaccinatio

There are now many studies outside of Hong Kong that show very low serious side effects for Coronavac

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

There are now many studies outside of Hong Kong that show very low serious side effects for Coronavac

when somebody says something like that, he/she should provide back up data to support their comment,  as I did when posting

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, RocketDog said:

It is when China is trying to secure gold mining rights in African countries.

and/or fishing rights as well, people from Ghana could say a lot about China fake promises

• Sad 1

Tired of all the vaccine bashing and armchair experts overrunning the News Section.

Replying to Mavideol, your news report from Manila Times draws support from Epoch Times, a known propagandistic "news" outlet.

Replying to Kiujunn, every place has its problems and no vaccine or public health response has ever been perfect. Look at Taiwan now. Perfect?

15 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

In response to the death of 13 people in Hong Kong after receiving the vaccine, authorities responded on March 30, saying that current data show that most of the cases died of cardiovascular disease and none of the individual cases were directly related to the vaccination.

That's from the Epoch Times, not exactly without bias when it comes to Covid19 or China. 

But there seems to be no unbiased reporting,  China keeps a lid on it.

Why?

23 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

I called it. Very probable they conspired with China to ensure only Sinovac was available in Thailand for some time. 

Good luck cheerleaders with your Chinese vaccines! 

Love it

No conspiracy necessary.

China is using this as a vaccine diplomacy tool all over the world, as is Russia. It's the accepting country that should be blamed. An empty fire extinguisher at a tenth the cost of a full one is still a bad deal.

The Thai government painted itself into a corner and this is the only way out for it. Now it's up to the Thai people to take it or not.

The CCP excels at making the most of every propaganda tool available.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

when somebody says something like that, he/she should provide back up data to support their comment,  as I did when posting

I've been posting this stuff ad nauseam. And when someone like you imposes the condition that they be a Western Democracy, most likely we'll soon find out that Brazil, Chile, and Turkey don't correspond to your definition of a western democracy. And, of course, the trial in Indonesia, it being in Asia, makes that ineligible for qualifying too.. What's shady here is the way you game the playing field to disqualify reports that might prove your suspicions unwarranted.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fromas said:

Look at Taiwan now. Perfect?

This thread is about Sinovac.

If you want to talk about public health response in Taiwan,  still about the best in the world, feel free to start a new thread.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kiujunn said:

This thread is about Sinovac.

If you want to talk about public health response in Taiwan,  still about the best in the world, feel free to start a new thread.

I don't plan to. My point was : Keep political biases out of it. 

• Confused 1

53 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

did the Chinese vaccine had any reliable clinical trials, by western (non corrupted country) standards if so, do you care to share the data

Phase III trials were conducted in Turkey, Chile, Indonesia and Brazil overseen investigators from multiple countries including Western ones.  The panel of experts which reviewed the data included scientists form North American and Europe.

Sinovac WHO.pdf

https://www.who.int/immunization/sage/members/en/

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I've been posting this stuff ad nauseam. And when someone like you imposes the condition that they be a Western Democracy, most likely we'll soon find out that Brazil, Chile, and Turkey don't correspond to your definition of a western democracy. And, of course, the trial in Indonesia, it being in Asia, makes that ineligible for qualifying too.. What's shady here is the way you game the playing field to disqualify reports that might prove your suspicions unwarranted.

everybody has different opinions on the vax matter, I stick with mine but that doesn't mean that yours is not not right. The majority of us here know that Brazil, Chile, Turkey, Indonesia, UAE and some other are all under heavy Chinese influence thus anything none of them reported about any Chinese product, regardless what type of product, for me would not be considered reliable, thus not worth my precious time to look at it but,  as I said, that's me

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Phase III trials were conducted in Turkey, Chile, Indonesia and Brazil overseen investigators from multiple countries including Western ones.  The panel of experts which reviewed the data included scientists form North American and Europe.

Sinovac WHO.pdf 4.51 MB · 0 downloads

https://www.who.int/immunization/sage/members/en/

Thank you Sheryl, I know about the Chinese Phase III trials, unfortunately don't trust none of the countries involved. Can you please tell me which countries approved that specific vaccine.

Edited by Sheryl
unsubstantiated allegation removed
  • Sad 1

Covid: Why has Seychelles seen rising case numbers?

The Seychelles has vaccinated more people per head against Covid-19 than any other country, but has experienced a spike in cases.

More than 60% of the population has now been fully vaccinated in the chain of islands off the east coast of Africa,

But an increase in infections has led to new restrictions on its population of around 100,000 people.

https://www.bbc.com/news/57148348