Federation of Thai Industries works for proper disposal of used face masks

snoop1130

1c0636933e3a25e9c40b9f91860f6749_small.png

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Federation of Thai Industries (FTI) is working with state agencies to improve the management of the increasing amount of discarded face masks, which are now becoming an infectious waste threat.

FTI vice-chairman Apiphop Phungchaikul stressed the need for proper disposal of used face masks, to avoid negative impacts on both the environment and public health, saying used face masks must be destroyed in incinerators to prevent the risk of disease or of someone reusing them.

He said the FTI and the government are also considering using red plastic bags to collect used face masks. They plan to designate areas for people to discard the masks as well as to launch measures to prevent their reuse.

Mr. Apiphop added that the government should start a campaign to educate people and encourage them to discard used face masks in specific bins, amid growing concerns over masks being combined with other types of rubbish and leaking into water sources.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2021-05-24

I wish they'd put more effort into the proper disposal of small single use plastic bags. It may not be the problem as big as before, and I'm not advocating to stop the use; but there is no reason that Big C, The Mall, Central can't have collection stations like those for plastic bags only at Walmart in the USA.

Bins, bins? What are they? No bins in the village I stay in. No bins, no collections, no 'proper disposal', only dumped, or maybe burned at the side of the road with garden detritus.

Infectious medical waste, other dodgy items treated the same.