Bank Of America doing away with the SafePass Card

Recently I got a  alert from B of A that they are doing away with the Safepass card ! They will start requiring account holders who use the  security card  to either use a USA base phone number to receive txt codes or purchase a  FIDO  USB  Security Key that can be used in a USB port.

Edited by riclag
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Of course, many laptops no longer have USB ports. If BofA wants you to use one, THEY should pay for it!

Oh wow I didn't know that MFG  stopped making laptop's with  USB ports !

Thank my lucky stars I have one and one  new  laptop still in the box, that all have usb ports . 

I knew they stopped making CD rom drives but I didn't know about the USB ports !

Oh well ! I do agree with you about the cost though !

I have a Charles Swabb account  that uses a security device that produces a code  that came free when I opened the account !

Edited by riclag

4 minutes ago, The Theory said:

You can get an adapter USB/lightning for apple around ฿200-฿250. There are other types. WFB RSA device is $25, not free. I'm just wondering why they don't use apps such as M-soft. 

It is what it is I suppose with BofA and that is what I was talking about in my OP !

With today's technology you would think they could use things like fingerprint scan to verify.  Then again, perhaps they have some objections from customers not wanting to leave fingerprints.  Probably would be declared "discrimination"  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thomas J said:

Strange.  I use Chase and never had a problem transferring amounts up to $25,000 USD via the internet.  I still use Transferwise because the exchange rate is far better. 

BoA limits wire / ACH transfers to $1000 if you don't have a SafePass...  I had been transferring funds $1000 at at time until I discovered Transferwise... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NaamGin said:

Thank Buddha... I've been a SafePass customer with BoA since the program's inception and it has never worked properly for me... I have already been on the phone with BoA to  get the new hardware key to allow secure transactions because without SafePass it is a PITA to transfer funds over $1000 from BoA to any other place... Been using Transferwise for years because BoA won't allow me access to my own funds... 

Hey, Please let us know how that works for you !

I was on Amazon looking for the FIDO  USB  Security Key  but I'm not quite sure about which one will work with BofA ! I'm also worried about the longevity of the device and B of A  questioning my where abouts  since I'll be using it from a out of the country IP address.  

The trouble with me ,is over thinking everything 555 !

21 minutes ago, riclag said:

Hey, Please let us know how that works for you !

I was on Amazon looking for the FIDO  USB  Security Key  but I'm not quite sure about which one will work with BofA ! I'm also worried about the longevity of the device and B of A  questioning my where abouts  since I'll be using it from a out of the country IP address.  

The trouble with me ,is over thinking everything 555 !

I doubt any other 3rd party security key technology will work with the BoA security scheme... The BoA product will be a proprietary hardware key that is branded with a security code that is associated with your account... This technology has been around for a long time, longer than the SecurePass tech they are currently using... I've got my name on the list to receive one when it rolls out in August and will update this thread once I receive and test it... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NaamGin said:

I doubt any other 3rd party security key technology will work with the BoA security scheme... The BoA product will be a proprietary hardware key that is branded with a security code that is associated with your account... This technology has been around for a long time, longer than the SecurePass tech they are currently using... I've got my name on the list to receive one when it rolls out in August and will update this thread once I receive and test it... 

I presume your living here in Thailand. Do you expect BofA to send it to your address here ?

Thanks

9 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Of course, many laptops no longer have USB ports.

Name one.

7 hours ago, riclag said:

Oh wow I didn't know that MFG  stopped making laptop's with  USB ports !

They haven't.

7 hours ago, The Theory said:

You can get an adapter USB/lightning for apple around ฿200-฿250.

All Apple laptops include at least one USB port. The most modern ones use USB-C, which is smaller and allows you do more than the older USB-A standard.

No need to buy an adaptor, just buy a USB-C security key. They are smaller and more robust.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NaamGin said:

BofA info graphic says,

"USB security keys can be purchased at many online and trusted tech retailers  and typically cost between 18-50 dollars" ! It goes on to say "Just search for USB security key and make sure the key you choose is FIDO certified".

Edited by riclag

24 minutes ago, riclag said:

BofA info graphic says,

"USB security keys can be purchased at many online and trusted tech retailers  and typically cost between 18-50 dollars" ! It goes on to say "Just search for USB security key and make sure the key you choose is FIDO certified.

You can use the same key for many other sites and purposes. They are solid-state, so, should last for decades. If buying on the cheap end, maybe double-check the reviews to make sure they are robust. The more expensive brands, such as Yubikey, may be more reliable.

Some models add genuinely useful features. For example, a key that also includes NFC can be used with your smartphone. So, for example, I use my USB + NFC key to login to certain sites on my laptop, and then the same sites on my iPhone by holding my key up to the back of the phone, triggering the NFC handshake.

Some services allow you to associate two different keys with your account, which would allow you to keep your main key on your keyring and the backup key somewhere safer. Obviously, that is more expensive, but worth it if you use them for something as important as your main bank. You can seamlessly switch between keys without having to contact your bank and prove your identity.

Having a bank ask you to buy your own security key is actually a very good thing, so much better than having them send you some proprietary gadget that you can only use with their service and that you will probably lose at some point. A small security key that you can stick on your keyring, that you can use for dozens of other services, and that you can have a backup of, is far handier.

Edited by Poet
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Poet said:

You can use the same key for many other sites and purposes. They are solid-state, so, should last for decades. If buying on the cheap end, maybe double-check the reviews to make sure they are robust. The more expensive brands, such as Yubikey, may be more reliable.

Some models add genuinely useful features. For example, a key that also includes NFC can be used with your smartphone. So, for example, I use my USB + NFC key to login to certain sites on my laptop, and then the same sites on my iPhone by holding my key up to the back of the phone, triggering the NFC handshake.

Some services allow you to associate two different keys with your account, which would allow you to keep your main key on your keyring and the backup key somewhere safer. Obviously, that is more expensive, but worth it if you use them for something as important as your main bank. You can seamlessly switch between keys without having to contact your bank and prove your identity.

Having a bank ask you to buy your own security key is actually a very good thing, so much better than having them send you some proprietary gadget that you can only use with their service and that you will probably lose at some point. A small security key that you can stick on your keyring, that you can use for dozens of other services, and that you can have a backup of, is far handier.

I was hoping to get a comment like yours !

I was looking at the Yubikey brand on Amazon !

I want to contact this company or BofA ,and ask if

they are in sic

Thanks

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, riclag said:

I want to contact this company or BofA ,and ask if

they are in sic

As far as I understand it, FIDO is the most basic functionality, so, if BofA specified a FIDO key, I think any Yubikey would have at least that functionality. As, indeed, would far cheaper keys.

I should have mentioned, you can also get tiny versions that some people leave permanently inserted into their computer. When you need to authenticate you simply touch the bit that protrudes slightly from the USB port. Several companies produce keys in that form factor, Yubikey call their version Nano (both USB-A and USB-C). I would use that if I almost always used my computer at home, was unlikely to lose it, and didn't need the NFC functionality to use it with my smartphone.

Edited by Poet
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, riclag said:

BofA info graphic says,

"USB security keys can be purchased at many online and trusted tech retailers  and typically cost between 18-50 dollars" ! It goes on to say "Just search for USB security key and make sure the key you choose is FIDO certified".

Seems odd that they would go from a proprietary system like SafePass to one that can be commercially purchased and potentially hacked... I guess we will see...  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, riclag said:

I presume your living here in Thailand. Do you expect BofA to send it to your address here ?

Thanks

They know I live in Thailand, but if it becomes an issue I have a US mailing address where they can ship it...

If it turns out that a commercial available security key product will work, I'll just buy one that meets the specs and I won't have to wait for them to send me one...  Although I got the impression when I spoke to someone in the BoA Digital Services group that it was a BoA controlled product... 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Poet said:

Name one.

They haven't.

All Apple laptops include at least one USB port. The most modern ones use USB-C, which is smaller and allows you do more than the older USB-A standard.

No need to buy an adaptor, just buy a USB-C security key. They are smaller and more robust.

It's not only about laptops !!! 
ipad, iPhone ? Do they have USB ?  ????????

9 hours ago, NaamGin said:

Seems odd that they would go from a proprietary system like SafePass to one that can be commercially purchased and potentially hacked... I guess we will see...  

https://www.bankofamerica.com/security-center/online-mobile-banking-privacy/usb-security-key/?cm_mmc=DEP-Checking-_-email-_-DC24EM01MX_sec_keys-_-05794_safepass

Have you got a alert on safepass card changes, after you log in to B ofA ?

Edited by riclag

4 hours ago, The Theory said:

It's not only about laptops !!! 
ipad, iPhone ? Do they have USB ?  ????????

I was responding to the incorrect claim that newer laptops do not have USB, so, yes, it was only about laptops.

I addressed phones separately. Most on the planet today are Android. They tend to use Micro-USB. iPhones come with NFC.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Poet said:

I was responding to the incorrect claim that newer laptops do not have USB, so, yes, it was only about laptops.

I addressed phones separately. Most on the planet today are Android. They tend to use Micro-USB. iPhones come with NFC.

You want to respond to "incorrect" (????????????) claim?

Good to have you here, you are a saver. 

Edited by The Theory

9 hours ago, The Theory said:

You want to respond to "incorrect" (????????????) claim?

Good to have you here, you are a saver.

Are you under the impression that "incorrect" is not a word?

Wow. That's classic.

You know, before you make fun of someone online for using what you think is the wrong word, it might be worth spending ten seconds to check an online dictionary.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/31/2021 at 6:10 AM, NaamGin said:

They know I live in Thailand, but if it becomes an issue I have a US mailing address where they can ship it...

If it turns out that a commercial available security key product will work, I'll just buy one that meets the specs and I won't have to wait for them to send me one...  Although I got the impression when I spoke to someone in the BoA Digital Services group that it was a BoA controlled product... 

Did you ever get the USB security key  for BofA ?

I coordinate on skype with a person back home whose number is listed to receive my code. I receive my code and continue on with my online banking. I've been doing this for as long as the west went to this double level security feature and it hasn't failed me yet. The code is useless to anyone that doesn't have your PW besides being time sensitive. The cost was $0