Police had no warrant for raid on luxury house in Pattaya, lawyer claims

webfact

On 5/29/2021 at 2:03 PM, robblok said:

Agreed. Just don't see why anyone who is not into some shady business would have an illigal gun.  Im not buying the fact that the guy is innocent and if he was indeed a criminal it makes sense to execute a search order fast so he can't destroy evidence.

There have been numerous cases  envolving  rich Chinese  like the couple found floating  in suit cases in a river, a woman who was almost abducted from  the airport, and some others that were tortured for their account numbers. I  would'nt care about  Thai laws ans would carry a gun after  many of these reports.

On 5/29/2021 at 9:56 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

He heard wrong..incredibly rare

But it has happened ....Chinese ,Taiwanese, kidnapping their own

compatriots here in Thailand for ransom, he had no idea who they

were.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

Rather Stupid Police procedure if you are serving a warrant you don't pile out of cars without being recognisable as police and run at the property with guns in hand any reasonable person would feel threatened. If his wife is Thai she is allowed to own a weapon or it could have been the property of a Thai employee. Seems more like the Macho Man  police thought that they would have a bit of fun by mounting an unnecessarily aggressive raid on what they thought was an unarmed household, and got a big shock when their stupid scare tactics backfired.  This was a very badly planned execution of a warrant (if the warrant existed at all). Why didn't they just knock and and enter AFTER showing their ID. The police must show their ID if not in uniform, until they show their ID they are no more than a gang of thugs running at his home. Yelling 'Police' has no meaning without obvious identification such as  stab vests marked clearly as Police. I have also said in another post that well planned raids use such visibility as a safety measure to prevent officers being shot by other officers during a very confusing and potentially dangerous event.

Edited by RobU

On 5/29/2021 at 5:39 PM, impulse said:

But there were other people living in the house.  The OP mentions translators and his wife in the same breath.  Perhaps his wife is Thai and has a pistol permit?  As I recall, there were Thai people associated with the address.  Perhaps one or more of them had permits?

Sure, he shouldn't have picked up the weapon, even if he thought his family was being victimized by nefarious looking entities who didn't identify themselves as police.   But people do desperate things when their home is being attacked.

Not to mention, the Thai popo are often the nefarious entities, doing the kidnapping and extorting.   Leading to my wingnut conspiracy theory de jour that this was a kidnapping gone horribly wrong when the guy fought back.  Outlandish?  Maybe, but just as credible as any other narrative, especially given the extreme contrast between the CCTV videos of the raid (nobody in uniform) vs the later videos (for public consumption where they're all in body armor).  Seems rather disingenuous, like they have something to hide...

I agree with what you say. Possibly the people in body armour came later as backup after shots were fired and it took some time for them to arrive. maybe after a high level meeting then a quick plan to cover up the incompetence or corruption of the original officers

• Like 1

On 5/28/2021 at 10:13 PM, khunPer said:

Yes, that's a suspensions part of the story from the beginning, there must be more to it than what has been revealed so far in the news...????

There is a lot more to this story and the police know it. who was he paying off ???? for safety and security and able to stay in THAILAND.  Ask how come no-one knew of him with 6millon house all in CASH? TIT. watch what happens,

• Like 1

4 hours ago, irishman25 said:

There is a lot more to this story and the police know it. who was he paying off ???? for safety and security and able to stay in THAILAND.  Ask how come no-one knew of him with 6millon house all in CASH? TIT. watch what happens,

There are many other Chinese gangs like this and yes, the police know. Near us is a gang with a fleet of new Super cars: I tried to calculate 1 day how much the cars parked outside were worth and reached a figure of 160 million. - nearly all on red plates. The police even helped them to park by asking others that were parked to move their cars away. These people have more money and power that you can imagine.

Edited by petedk
  • Like 1

On 5/29/2021 at 12:53 PM, sammieuk1 said:

My guess is thin times for plod decided to raid and plunder forgot the dodgy occupiers might be tooled up now all over the media typical Thai mess to be forgotten about in a week or two????

I tend to think this is the correct answer. 

Plod are really hurting at the moment with nobody to extort. 

Below link to June 1st  Thai Visa report

So if rich Chinese as I said  before  they know they are subject to be possibly kidnapped in Thailand , even with possible Police or fake police help so are armed or have wife liscenesed for weapon.

On 5/31/2021 at 5:12 AM, jacko45k said:

Failure is another matter.

I would say this was simply a failed robbery / extortion attempt, not a failed arrest. 

Let's say for a moment he didn't have a gun.  What have the police got on him?   

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I would say this was simply a failed robbery / extortion attempt, not a failed arrest. 

Whatever they planted knowing the RTP's standard MO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Excel said:

I wonder if it should become standard practice for suspects' lawyers and private security to body-search officers before they carry out a search warrant...

Edited by tgw

1 minute ago, tgw said:

I wonder if it should become standard practice for suspects' lawyers and private security to body-search officers before they carry out a search warrant...

Sniffer dogs too

33 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Irrelevant because he did....

24 minutes ago, Excel said:

Sure, but that plan went south quickly, once shots were fired.  Now, they are scrambling to come up with a reason for them being there, and a legal reason for them entering the property.  

From the OP - Questions remain as to why a legitimate businessman would have a high powered weapon in his possession.

Answer - because men in plain clothes, who knows who they are, can enter your property, armed, to do who knows what.

Kill him, kidnap him, ???

Happens all over the world, not just here.

In some countries you can shoot to kill in this situation. Try this BS in Texas - won't be a puny handgun that lets off rounds

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Irrelevant because he did....

Hardly irrelevant. 

They need to have a reason to be there in the first place, and a legal justification for entering the premises without a search warrant.  

Without these, it's looking more and more like self defence, albeit, a 10,000 baht fine for illegal possession of  firearm.  

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Well then why did they not just kill him? 

You guys crack me up....

20 minutes ago, Leaver said:

They need to have a reason to be there in the first place, and a legal justification for entering the premises without a search warrant.  

He had illegal weapon (s).

Just now, Yellowtail said:

Well then why did they not just kill him? 

You guys crack me up....

The answer to your question is obvious that it make you appear naive.  

Dead men don't pay. Simple.  

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

They needed intell on that in order to get a search warrant. 

There appears to be no search warrant in existence, therefore, and illegal building entry and search.  

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

They needed intell on that in order to get a search warrant. 

There appears to be no search warrant in existence, therefore, and illegal building entry and search.  

Do they need a search warrant?.....  I have seen them raid bars based on suspicions only!

5 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Bars are open to and used by the public.  Private residences are not.  

Police claimed they had a search warrant, although it sounds more like a raid than a search. The Chinese guy fired on them before they entered the house.

Just now, jacko45k said:

Police claimed they had a search warrant, although it sounds more like a raid than a search. The Chinese guy fired on them before they entered the house.

FRom the video it sure looks like the shots were fired inside the house, at people who were already inside the house.

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

As I said, no doubt they will be scrambling to build a case, after the event, and a lot of what happened will be the word of police against the Chinese guy.  

My opinion of their arrival, approach to the building, lack of protective equipment, and the fact two police were shot, tells me, they were there for other reasons, not to issue a search warrant, search the premises, and arrest someone for an illegal firearm.  

It may very well be yet another case of will will never know the whole truth about this matter.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Did he? How difficult would it be for the weapons to be bought by his wife and so be held legally? I have not read anything that confirms who owned the weapons.

9 hours ago, champers said:

Did he? How difficult would it be for the weapons to be bought by his wife and so be held legally? I have not read anything that confirms who owned the weapons.

Where is it mentioned that he had a Thai wife? There were only foreign nationals in the house. 

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Where is it mentioned that he had a Thai wife? There were only foreign nationals in the house. 

It is stated that she was in another part of the house.

From the OP - "His client's wife was elsewhere in the house at the time."

RTFP

Edited by canthai55