Sending US tax extension Form 4868 online

Has anyone been successful sending a Federal USA income tax extension Form 4868 online from Thailand?

Are there software packages such as Turbo Tax, H&R Block, etc. that allow you to do this?

Although I was able send my tax return last year online, I understood that an expat would be unable submit an extension from a foreign address.

I am trying to avoid mailing it via Thailand Post.

Thanks in advance

No need for commercial software to get an extension. You can file form 4868 here:

https://www.irs.gov/payments

You will need to make a payment when you file. The minimum is $0.01. One payment option requires a US bank account for an ACH debit. I'm not sure if a foreign credit or debit card would work for the credit/debit card payment option.

I successfully filed 4868 here in April with a payment of $0.01 using the IRS website and the ACH debit option. Received email confirmation within minutes.

Edited by Etaoin Shrdlu
typo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

No need for commercial software to get an extension. You can file form 4868 here:

https://www.irs.gov/payments

You will need to make a payment when you file. The minimum is $0.01. One payment option requires a US bank account for an ACH debit. I'm not sure if a foreign credit or debit card would work for the credit/debit card payment option.

You don’t need to make any payment. I'm sure of that.  

Taxact.com

I filled another extension this year as always. 

Yes a Thai address.

Accepted by irs.

Taxact has a free filing option. 

But I thought you needed to file that before May 17.

Yes expats normal deadline is later but for some reason I've assumed you needed to file extensions before the non expat deadline.

Edited by Jingthing

Just now, Jingthing said:

You don’t need to make any payment. I'm sure of that.  

I filled another extension this year as always. 

But I thought you needed to file that before May 17.

I think overseas taxpayers have until June 15th to file for an extension since that's the deadline for filing a return without an extension.

When I used the IRS website, it would not let me file 4868 without making a payment. Perhaps I chose the wrong option somehow, but it worked for a one cent payment. In any event it is worth looking into instead of getting commercial software.

1 minute ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I think overseas taxpayers have until June 15th to file for an extension since that's the deadline for filing a return without an extension.

When I used the IRS website, it would not let me file 4868 without making a payment. Perhaps I chose the wrong option somehow, but it worked for a one cent payment. In any event it is worth looking into instead of getting commercial software.

Yeah I might have made a wrong assumption about the extension filing deadline for expats.

Anyway taxact accepts 0.00.

Thanks for the replies!

One problem I am having is trying to setup an account with some of the partner programs since they are asking for a telephone number that seems to require a US telephone number. I only have a Thailand telephone number.

Any advice?