What's your favourite pub in BKK?

djayz

On 6/1/2021 at 1:37 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Same same, no solo drinker. But even if we are together with one or several friends in a bar the atmosphere will be different if there are mostly the regulars or i.e. one of two groups of tourists. 

I remember some time ago I read somewhere on the WWW that Suzie Wong is such a wonderful bar. I thought about writing a comment that it's not really great. But then I thought: Let the tourists go there and hopefully stay there the whole night. ???? 

It's an expensive music venue. Ticket only and dress code  when I went there to see a reggae band

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Hate it, hate it.......best thing about lockdown......no TV, no music....would pay extra to sit in a bar with neither.

We had a few..last year...low lights..no TV or music..everybody  chatting..3 years ago on a return visit to  UK noticed that most pubs had stripped out the  TV. What a fantastic  improvement.  Pattaya  has to be the worst  place with bars pumping out dance music from  America and massive  migraine inducing  screen flickering showing men in shorts running into each other

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Until the great Sukhumvit  punishment  clean  up there  were dozens of pop up bars all the way from Soi Cowboy to Soi 4. It was great...open till  4am...Bangkok became  a ßhìț place for fun very soon after the coup.

When I first came 1993 they were everywhere and were a blast.......even went to one on the 5th floor of an abandoned multistory car park.

They were under the flyover near Nana and on the wasteland (now all offices) at the back of Soi Cowboy, all down Beach Road in Pattaya.....what a shame.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

We had a few..last year...low lights..no TV or music..everybody  chatting..3 years ago on a return visit to  UK noticed that most pubs had stripped out the  TV. What a fantastic  improvement.  Pattaya  has to be the worst  place with bars pumping out dance music from  America and massive  migraine inducing  screen flickering showing men in shorts running into each other

What is really annoying is bars packed together, each blasting out their own music............why not get together at at least have one sound system?.............I have suggested this a few times and the Thai owners think I am mad.

Edited by Surelynot
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Surelynot said:

What is really annoying is bars packed together, each blasting out their own music............why not get together at at least have one sound system?.............I have suggested this a few times and the Thai owners think I am mad.

I first saw  this discussed 15 years ago on the Big Mango Blog. Another good bar that was made by the patrons much of the bonding was done online via trip reports.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Well it's all gone now..good to hear more Thai music on the  streets though.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

When I first came 1993 they were everywhere and were a blast.......even went to one on the 5th floor of an abandoned multistory car park.

They were under the flyover near Nana and on the wasteland (now all offices) at the back of Soi Cowboy, all down Beach Road in Pattaya.....what a shame.

Thank the regime for de funing the place

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

18 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Until the great Sukhumvit  punishment  clean  up there  were dozens of pop up bars all the way from Soi Cowboy to Soi 4. It was great...open till  4am...Bangkok became  a ßhìț place for fun very soon after the coup.

T'is many a night I finished up there. Sitting outside at that hour of the night/temperature was great. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, MRToMRT said:

Hmmmm. theres quite a few mentioned in this thread that are no more, closed even before covid.

Yeah..I stopped going to Bangkok  and relocated to Pattaya  when after they cleared the bars, hawkers, vendors andvfoodvstalls of Sukhumvit and instituted dress codes in Gogo bars..Thermae can be fun but not like when it  closed at 7am and had the original 60s 70s Juke box. The Beer Garden Soi 7 has closed..that was good but not a pub

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Might pop in.........looks a real dive from outside which put me off.

This heavily  illuminated, large bar is not a pub but an Australian  style sports bar...The problem is that it is NOT a dive! It's characterless, corporate and anodyne..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Hammer2021 said:

This heavily  illuminated, large bar is not a pub but an Australian  style sports bar...The problem is that it is NOT a dive! It's characterless, corporate and anodyne..

You're not selling it to me........555....will stick with the German bar next door.

Ref ...my mention of North Wales pubs...just over 6 months later pulled into Klong Toei...and First Boozer we hit in Bangkok..was .The Mosquito Bar.....anyone else remember It.?

4 minutes ago, 2009 said:

There is really no one pub that has it all. Some are good for food, others beers, others the view...

If I had to choose, I would say Stumble Inn.

I used to like it there up until 2-3 years ago. Loved the live music and watching the people pass by! Pesky bar maids and bar ladies spoilt it for me... ????

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/6/2021 at 3:21 PM, The Hammer2021 said:
On 5/31/2021 at 9:56 AM, BenDeCosta said:

The Sportsman, soi 13.

Good food, good beers including imported ones, really nice staff, lots of pool tables.

Bangkok not Pattaya. 

Coincidentally, there is a "Sportsman" on soi 13 in both Pattaya and Bangkok, Suk. soi 13 in Bangkok's case

• Like 1

On 6/6/2021 at 4:05 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

The Beer Garden Soi 7 has closed..that was good but not a pub

Unlikely as it may seem, the Soi 7 Beergarden ain't dead yet though it's been drawing last breaths for the last 5 years.  I actually had a cup of "tea" in there a few weeks ago.  Regulars from the "aughts" decade would recognize some of the venerable ladies still perched on the stools, sending hopeful looks to anybody who enters.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Red Forever said:

Not BKK I know but the mom and pop shop in my village in Ubon.

Large bottle (620 cls) of Tiger for bt50.

Tried Tiger in our place but locals dont want it...so had to drink it all myself..Best sellers out here in the sticks of CM are Chang,Leo and Sing which we do all (620cls) for for same price ...Ha sip ha Bt... There is one young lady however who always drives up in a very smart batmobile and orders a case of Heineken...All customers mostly locals and they tend to prefer Thai whiskey...and soda...cases of them...Last "farang" we had in was Bjorn...about 6 months ago who is now stuck in Norway...Bit quiet but holding up...sanuk..chai..

Right back to Bangkok Pubs.... re The Ship mentioned earlier....Soi 23 not in the strip...was once called the George and Dragon..before my time. When the lady owner sold it she then bought the The Offshore Bar which used to be my regular hangout..... gutted it out and turned it into a restaurant with a nice bar upstairs ...However how many punters will attempt stairs for a beer...Last visit it had been taking over as something else ...maybe a Pizza place or similar....That how it goes Bangkok never stands still...

6 hours ago, dddave said:

Unlikely as it may seem, the Soi 7 Beergarden ain't dead yet though it's been drawing last breaths for the last 5 years.  I actually had a cup of "tea" in there a few weeks ago.  Regulars from the "aughts" decade would recognize some of the venerable ladies still perched on the stools, sending hopeful looks to anybody who enters.

Ah