You are not logged in ▶️ Click to sign-up or login ×
ASEANNOW Official TikTok account is now LIVE! -Follow Us! ×

Climatic change means less rain for Thailand and hotter May and June this year

webfact

Just now, holy cow cm said:

Same here and this lines up with my upstairs bedroom. 

Had the hose on the West facing bedroom wall last night at sunset..... water cheaper than electricity. 

3 hours ago, John Drake said:

About six weeks ago, there was a TVF article that said rainy season would begin early this year and cooler temperatures would result. As it is, the day rainy season started is about the time it stopped raining at my place. 

There was also one that advised May rainfall would be heavier in May than the last 30 years??

But at least they are warning us that it will be hotter last month??? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

But at least they are warning us that it will be hotter last month??? 

Yes, relieved to see a forecast on 4 June that predicts the month of May we just experienced will be hotter than usual. 

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Had the hose on the West facing bedroom wall last night at sunset..... water cheaper than electricity. 

Creates a lot of steam. But water is way cheaper than electricity. My big worry is the heat is going to eventually break down the property of the wall since it is brick and mortar. 

Edited by holy cow cm

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The average daytime temperature in the past few weeks has been 39-41°C he said, adding that the hot weather is happening worldwide due to climatic change, with the weak La Nina conditions in the early part of this year, resulting to less rain and hotter weather.

I'll work on my tan then while figuring out how to register or get a vaccine.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

SWMBO has just ordered some climbing plants that will go in about a foot from the wall on a frame to try and shield our walls a bit. Hopefully they will help to keep direct sun off and let any breeze help as well.

Edited by overherebc

32 minutes ago, polpott said:

I predict that June will be even hotter.

Nothing to do with the fact that Thialand will be closer to the sun in June/July than any other month, of course.

The sun will be closest to Tropic of Cancer about then.  Thailand at about 13.00 deg North is earlier, maybe late March and August.

15 minutes ago, overherebc said:

SWMBO has just ordered some climbing plants that will go in about a foot from the wall on a frame to try and shield our walls a bit. Hopefully they will help to keep direct sun off and let any breeze help as well.

My Mrs put in some bushes some years ago but they didn't take. Been cloudy today fortunately...

5 hours ago, John Drake said:

About six weeks ago, there was a TVF article that said rainy season would begin early this year and cooler temperatures would result. As it is, the day rainy season started is about the time it stopped raining at my place. 

It also said the rainy season would be wetter than usual. The forecast I receive does though state storms from Sunday and low 30s next week in Kalasin Province, and we've already had a short storm early (Friday) which has cooled it down a bit.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I  planned  ahead during construction got the trees  in first then double block walls  with air  gap between, insulated  ceilings  4  inch thick, no problems, see the Thais  round here add an aircon to in effect a tin shack, bet most  cool air goes out the roof  and  walls.

51 minutes ago, nervona81732 said:

Can anyone spell Bill Gates and his multi million $$ project to block the sun?

I believe in Switzerland, but I may be wrong, they put up a huge mirror on a mountain to direct sun into a valley to help the residents there. No doubt that will be done from space for some areas in the future. Can't see anyone trying to block the sun.

47 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

I  planned  ahead during construction got the trees  in first then double block walls  with air  gap between, insulated  ceilings  4  inch thick, no problems, see the Thais  round here add an aircon to in effect a tin shack, bet most  cool air goes out the roof  and  walls.

Verandahs all way round worked for me along with lots of trees and plants. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John Drake said:

Pretty much what I was going to say. 

I wonder if anybody will come forward with a logical explanation. Or perhaps just say - of course don't take any notice of us. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, webfact said:

He told Thai PBS that the multiple high-rise buildings, concrete and asphalt roads, especially in Bangkok, trap heat from the sunlight, which is compounded

I'm reading this surrounded by rice fields and wondering if that's the cause why is it just as hit here.

• Like 2

That prediction 6 weeks ago surprised me, because it seemed unlikely, as La Nina conditions typically mean dryer conditions in SE Asia. Also hotter, as the warm oceanic water is on the West side of the Pacific and not the east, like during El Nino. Guess he got it wrong - not surprising for the Thai meteorological department. Long ago realised all their weather predictions are based on the long term climate average, just a cut and paste job which they just edit about 2-3 days in advance. 

April in Udon was cooler than normal, no days of 40 or more. May was mainly hot and sunny, with typical temperature 39 and 2 days of 40. June so far the same.

19 hours ago, polpott said:

I predict that June will be even hotter.

Nothing to do with the fact that Thialand will be closer to the sun in June/July than any other month, of course.

False

Why is it hot in summer and cold in winter? 

Because the earth's axis is tilted. ... During the summer, the sun's rays hit the Earth at a steep angle. The light does not spread out as much, thus increasing the amount of energy hitting any given spot. Also, the long daylight hours allow the Earth plenty of time to reach warm temperatures.

https://www.loc.gov/everyday-mysteries/meteorology-climatology/item/why-is-it-hot-in-summer-and-cold-in-winter/#:~:text=Because the earth's axis is tilted.&text=During the summer%2C the sun's,time to reach warm temperatures.