Govt Receives 1st Lot of Thailand-made AstraZeneca Vaccine

webfact

First 1.8 million doses of locally-produced AstraZeneca vaccine delivered

126852.jpg

The Thai Ministry of Public Health took delivery of the first batch of 1.8 million doses of locally-produced AstraZeneca vaccine from the company today (Friday), to inoculate people in Thailand under a mass vaccination campaign which will begin on Monday (June 7th).

Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul and senior health officials were present at a ceremony to receive the vaccine from AstraZeneca (Thailand) President James Teague.

Public Health Permanent Secretary Dr. Kiatiphum Wongrachit said today that a total of 6 million doses of both AstraZeneca and Sinovac’s CoronaVac will be delivered to the ministry in June and the vaccine will be distributed continuously across the country.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/first-1-8-million-doses-of-astrazeneca-vaccine-delivered-mass-inoculation-to-begin-june-7/

Logo-top-.png
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, foreverlomsak said:

If I remember correctly it was supposed to 6 million of AZ alone, not a combination with others.

But it also seems that (at the very least) the Philippines and Malaysia both seem to have some commercial contractual claim to the Thai manufactured AZ doses ... I wonder if they are paying the "Thai Price"

• Haha 2

Is that 1.8M of AZ for whole of the month of June?

Need to increase that production rate by at least five fold to make a real impact.

Still it's a start and at least provides proof of successful manufacture

• Like 1

Is everyone certain these were not delivered from another country? Astra Zeneca would of been under a lot of pressure and if you were that farang guy would you agree to go along with anything they say? At a time like this? Of course you would and your bosses would have to agree with you or have your blood (not blood per se) on their hands.

• Like 2

Still plenty of time to see what effect/s (if any) these two vaccines have on the Thai's.

I as a dirty farang will sit back and wait patiently and watch it all unfold, no other choice really.

Thai's first as they say, and I do hope it all goes well, I say that with the utmost sincerity because I, as everyone else, want to see things to get back to normal a.s.a.p., after all I did enjoy the company of those young fillies at the bars, although it does feels like it was decades ago ????

• Like 2

This is Thai thinking. On this photo there is a proof. Same in educational institutions. To prove what? Can we see what is in the box. Maybe there are rabbits or pigeons in them. Same in education. Stop taking these silly photos. They are meaningless. Ok, enough for today. Have to be careful with my blood pressure. Not good for Covid.  555

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dyertribe said:

But it also seems that (at the very least) the Philippines and Malaysia both seem to have some commercial contractual claim to the Thai manufactured AZ doses ... I wonder if they are paying the "Thai Price"

would that be the special "foreigner" price you see advertised everywhere.

5 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

9%? Which variant would that be then? Also 1 in 75000 is not a guarantee, it is a risk factor for some countries

7 hours ago, rbkk said:

AZ = 1 in 75000 risk of a blood clot.

Yup, that's what I wrote.

9%. My info was taken from an infographic posted somewhere here yesterday. It listed the variants by numbers not names. I thought I thanked the poster but can't find it in my history. Perhaps another member could link to it. It was in color with the vaccines listed vertically and the variants by number (e.g. Lineage B.1.351) horizontally. Astra Zeneca was 9% for one of the variants. The poster mentioned it was difficult to find and I wanted to say thanks for sharing, but obviously didn't, sorry!

I'm guessing it is the South African Variant(Lineage B.1.351) which in this Link from March is AZ 10% efficacy.https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/mrna-vaccines-best-at-protecting-against-variants 

Edited by rbkk
Link

16 hours ago, rbkk said:

Yup, that's what I wrote.

9%. My info was taken from an infographic posted somewhere here yesterday. It listed the variants by numbers not names. I thought I thanked the poster but can't find it in my history. Perhaps another member could link to it. It was in color with the vaccines listed vertically and the variants by number (e.g. Lineage B.1.351) horizontally. Astra Zeneca was 9% for one of the variants. The poster mentioned it was difficult to find and I wanted to say thanks for sharing, but obviously didn't, sorry!

I'm guessing it is the South African Variant(Lineage B.1.351) which in this Link from March is AZ 10% efficacy.https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/mrna-vaccines-best-at-protecting-against-variants 

Didn't realise the SA variant was the one in Thailand! Silly me. You better not get it then

22 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

9%? Which variant would that be then? Also 1 in 75000 is not a guarantee, it is a risk factor for some countries

Sadly its true.

However AZ are looking at changing their vaccine slightly to make it more effective v the South African variant. 

COVID-19: UK government negotiating with AstraZeneca to secure South African variant vaccine | UK News | Sky News

• Thanks 1

On 6/4/2021 at 1:48 PM, rbkk said:

AZ = 1 in 75000 risk of a blood clot. If everyone in Thailand had this vaccine 880 people would develop blood clots. Only 9% effective against some variants. My vaccine appt postponement perhaps is a good thing.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/medical/mother-43-suffers-blood-clots-and-dies-after-having-covid-jab/ar-AAKF3CY?li=AAnZ9Ug

What is the blot clotting rate among Asians in western countries? It may not necessarily be this high when az is fully rolled out. 

5 minutes ago, DavisH said:

This is why yearly jabs may requires, at least for the next few years.

Hopefully the virus will weaken and only those at risk will need boosters every year in the same way we deal with the flu virus.

48 minutes ago, DavisH said:

What is the blot clotting rate among Asians in western countries? It may not necessarily be this high when az is fully rolled out. 

It could be higher. It's an unknown. A gamble. It's a little nieve perhaps to think that Thailand and other Asian countries won't bury or massage the real figures, in order to vaccinate their populations.