Downlaod Speeds Is This Ok ?

kevc

Ok I admit it I know nothing about download, upload speeds, but I have a TOT Goldcyber package on my computer it states the connection speed is 100.0 Mbps, I've just used the broadband speed test and it states download speed is 721 Kpbs, is this good or bad.

Thanks for any help forthcoming.

sounds about par for the course.

mine seems to vary between 650 and 850.

Thanks for the confirmation only thing I miss about the UK is my nice, fast ,reliable broadband. (and a good bacon sandwhich)

Ok I admit it I know nothing about download, upload speeds, but I have a TOT Goldcyber package on my computer it states the connection speed is 100.0 Mbps, I've just used the broadband speed test and it states download speed is 721 Kpbs, is this good or bad.

I imagine it would depend a lot on where your computer is located. I have also just taken on a Goldcyber package, and am currently getting 200 K consistently. I am in the sticks, but quite close to the local exchange.

Needless to say, I have asked TOT to fix it. If not, I will change to the TBH700/month package, which is supposed to deliver 512 Kbps.

Guest Reimar

What you see as 100 MBps is the speed of your Ethernet connection between your computer and your Modem(Router).

Depend on your ADSL Pachage, the speed of 721 kbps looks like quite ok! That's means your Package is min. a 1000 kbps package and for this 721 kbps is for Thailand "very" good!

Devide your connection speed, here 721 kbps with 8 and you get your max real download, here 90 kByte/s. It's good!

I imagine it would depend a lot on where your computer is located. I have also just taken on a Goldcyber package, and am currently getting 200 K consistently. I am in the sticks, but quite close to the local exchange.

Needless to say, I have asked TOT to fix it. If not, I will change to the TBH700/month package, which is supposed to deliver 512 Kbps.

What marvellous people TOT are. Just spoke to them, waited a few minutes, and hey presto - now getting 800+ :o

First thing: your ethernet port on the computer is rated for 100 Mb/s. And apparently that is what your modem/router is rated at also, since it's connecting to your computer at that speed. 100 Mb/s has a maximum throughput of 12.5 MBps. Network speed has almost always been reported as "b" (bits) rather than "B" (bytes). This is because for every 1 Byte, there's 8 bits. Thus they're able to throw out some really big numbers. This is an issue because your computer can't do anything with individual bits, but needs 8 of them to define a Byte.

721 Kbps is a fairly good rate. Due to the way the internet is set up, mostly TCP/IP connections, you "loose" a bit of your bought speed. Some things you loose it to are: CRC (an error detection thingy), headers (so the receiving computer knows what it's dealing with), etc. Generally, people figure 80% of your bandwidth for non-optimised TCP/IP is as good as it gets. So if you're running on a 1024 Kbps package, the best you can hope for is 820 Kbps. 721Kbps is only 70% of the maximum theoretical speed of your package.

To give you even more information, as listed earlier, your ethernet to modem/router is running at 12.5 MBps. The maximum throughput of your connection to TOT is 0.128 MBps. So technically, you're only using 1% of your ethernet port's capacity!

Further confusing the matter is that transmission uses the SI definition of Kilo and Mega and Giga, while data storage (which I'm sure you're interested in) use a different definition:

8 bits( b ) = 1 Byte ( B )

1024 B = 1 KB

1024 KB = 1 MB

Edited by dave_boo